PDA

View Full Version : Barra Paradise

TinarooTriumph
10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Ah, the mighty Barra. Sitting back behind the computer, feeling quite bored, just surfing the site (as usual). Then noticed i could start a Poll #:) top idea i thought. Was going to do favourite Fishing Brand, but thought Nah, F it. This should be interesting, all Dams above are rated highly.

Note : Guests should be able to vote (i just made that campatable a minute ago, should work).
# #You can vote for more then one Dam if you wish.

;D No suprises as to which one Im voting for ;D

Go and get em' fella's

TinarooTriumph 8-)

Kayak1
11-04-2006, 04:16 AM
Hey Tinaroo,
I think you need to rework your poll. :-? A lot of people would be upset Lake Monduran is not on the list :'(... and even Lenthalls is really coming into its own. The more headlines we can give to these two impoundments, the less boats will be out on Awoonga ;) ;).

Regards,
Steve.

BobbyJ123
11-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Nearest to my place is the best ;) ;)

TinarooTriumph
11-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Kayak1,

I thought choosing 8 dams would be easy, it wasnt!. After choosing 6 of the dams, it was quite difficult choosing the remaining 2. It was a toss up between Burdekin Falls, Fairbairn Dam and Lake Monduran. And I could only choose 2, so i chose Burdekin and Fairbairn as those are very productive waters.

I feel as though Lenthalls and Monduran dont have the numbers for Barra as the others do, and that Lenthalls and Monduran are big bass fisheries, so that made my choice a tad easier.

If i was allowed to add 2 more dams to the poll it would be Monduran and quite possibly Eungella. I could add 1 more dam that is about 1 hours drive from me, but it appears as though alot of you dont know the dam, and id prefer to keep it that way (secret) as i would rate it equal with Tinaroo and Awoonga ;D and is my 2nd favourite impoundment in QLD. Im not saying anymore. A few of you might know what Dam im talking about....

Feel free to add anymore comments.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

Awoonga
11-04-2006, 10:37 AM
#Monduran #needs to be in #included #in the poll......As far as getting the Sip Dollars goes it was way up there .... in the top three...So...you need to rework the poll.....Heaps of Barra As far as bass ?? never caught one at Monduran only Barra Its a easy fix just leave Awoonga out We know that has been voted one of the best dams as far as Barra goes...... ;D ;D ;D

TinarooTriumph
11-04-2006, 03:05 PM
There ya go fella's, problem solved. Burdekin wouldnt receive many votes, i dont think alot of you have fished there so swaped it with Monduran.

I want to leave Awoonga there to see how many votes it gets ;D we all no it will be a runaway winner, but lets see how many votes it can get.
(:P Bloody Southerners :P)

You've never hooked a bass at Monduran :-/ . Not a big Barra fishery, but Bass are very abundent there. Meh....

TinarooTriumph 8-)

McCod
11-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Faust for largest average size & Awoonga for numbers of fish.
Monduran probably has the best return for Barra stocking per acre IMHO.
Hey Trevor.... just curious to know where the data came from for Awoonga being one of the best dams as far as Barra goes?

TinarooTriumph..... just a bit of info on Lake Monduran mate :).
The dam has been stocked with aprox 300000 Barra “Don’t quote me on that one as i think the stocking group put a heap in this last season" and the place fishes real good most of the year... #Barra per acre is low compared to places like Awoonga an Teemburra..... But it is possible to catch 15 to 20 Barra per day @ Monduran on the good days, been stocked with Barra for around 9 years or so. There has been 1.3 mtr Barra coming out of there for the last 2 years. Last summer seen hundreds of Barra over 1 mtr landed.
My guess is it would blow Fairbairn as a Barra Fishery ;)

# # Cheers Les

Awoonga
11-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Merv Hinneberg wasn't surprised to find out Lake Awoonga was named in the top 100 of destinations to visit.

Fishing spot to die for

BEAUTIFUL moutains behind, serene water all around... until the tug on the end of your line tells you it’s a big ’un and the fight is on.

Landing a barramundi at Lake Awoonga is one of the top 100 things to do in Australia before you die.

Barramundi fans from all over Australia have known it for a while, but it’s been confirmed by a well-respected, far-travelled panel.

Getaway reporter Catriona Rowntree, Sunrise presenter David Koch and Lonely Planet founder Tony Wheeler were some of those who voted barramundi fishing at Lake Awoonga 66th on the list of things to do.

Lake Awoonga Caravan Park owner Merv Hinneberg was pleased but not surprised.

McCod
11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
OK! That sums it up :) They would Know ;)

Thanx Trevor

Owen
11-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Awoonga coz it's just down the road :)

These things always remind me of where I lived on the Gold Coast though.
I lived on the river with a causeway that fed a canal estate nearby.
Amazing the predators that used to come through those pipes at times :o
Anyway, the missus would go crook at me because we'd be standing down there and someone would walk up and say "catching anything?"
Of course the answer was always "Nah mate --- catch bugger all here. I just fish here coz I live in that there house and I can nip up to the fridge whenever I want" :-X :-X :-X
They'd look at how shallow the water was and say "yeah, I doubt anything decent would ever come in here"

Everybody was happy ;D
'cept my missus reckons I'm going to burn in hell ;D ;D

cheers,
Owen

TinarooTriumph
11-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Faust for largest average size & Awoonga for numbers of fish.
Monduran probably has the best return for Barra stocking per acre IMHO.
Hey Trevor.... just curious to know where the data came from for Awoonga being one of the best dams as far as Barra goes?

TinarooTriumph..... just a bit of info on Lake Monduran mate :).
The dam has been stocked with aprox 300000 Barra “Don’t quote me on that one as i think the stocking group put a heap in this last season" and the place fishes real good most of the year... #Barra per acre is low compared to places like Awoonga an Teemburra..... But it is possible to catch 15 to 20 Barra per day @ Monduran on the good days, been stocked with Barra for around 9 years or so. There has been 1.3 mtr Barra coming out of there for the last 2 years. Last summer seen hundreds of Barra over 1 mtr landed.
My guess is it would blow Fairbairn as a Barra Fishery ;)

# # Cheers Les

Thanks Les for the interesting info. I probably should of left this poll alone actually, i dont know alot about dams like Monduran and Fairbairn, but thats good info and i will remember Monduran for when i head down there next. I could definitely go along with you saying 'Awoonga for numbers, Faust for large average size'. Awoonga has so many of the buggers, its a picnic for fishermen really. Faust I know has some huge monsters in him'.

I mean this when i say it, i think Tinaroo has the bigger fish out of the lot of them. Theres not heaps of Barra in Tinaroo like an Awoonga, but it is still well stocked. And when the big fella comes along, he comes along! I havnt caught anything under 90cm for about 3 years, all have been well over a metre. If you havnt been to Tinaroo before, I plead for you to come to the Barra Bash (October/November every month). Thats when the place just lights up.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

McCod
11-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah TinarooTriumph .... Tinaroo is one of the Barra impoundments i'm yet to fish. should be a few 100 lbers cruising around Tinaroo.... Hope it returns to it's glory days soon. Not real keen on the idea of the Barra Bash...... maybe if they had a catch & release comp? May get up there later this year?
Will give ya bell if i do. Posting up a plump 115 cm 24 KG plus Barra from Monduran caught 2 summers ago.

Cheers Les

Fitzy
11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
#As far as bass ?? never caught one at Monduran only Barra
You're kidding. 'twasnt that long ago that the Chicken Littles of this world were proclaiming Monduran to be too far south for Barra & only bass will do any good there... ppphhhttttt!!!!! Idiots!!
Bass were the only thing that kept the place on the map for yonks.

While the sizes I've seen have never been close to Somerset or Wivenhoe fish, I have had 50 bass + sessions there. I'm happy that most folks run right over some great bass water in search of barra. They're a great option & worthy target species.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Awoonga
11-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Fitzy...So does that mean that when l want to go Bass fishing in Monduran I just need to give a call.... :D :D :D.... Les ...booga { l think thats how you say it} said to say Hi....Met him at the Bassin round at Boondoomda

TinarooTriumph
11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Great fish Les, well done. There has been talk of another Barra contest at Tinaroo for a few months now, a Catch And Release comp has been mentioned, and i think every1 is gunning for it. They are also taking into consideration a Bream Bash.... whether that will take off is another thing.

Your not the only 1 hoping for it to return to its glory days! Last 3 years have been pewny compared to the past. But, DPI released thousands of 45cm fingerlings not long back (2/3 yrs) so im guessing in the next few years its gonna be HUGE. Congrats on the gold membership #;) .

Fitzy, sorry to sound like a complete w###, but what the hell is a global moderator #:( ??? #

This will most likely be my last post for a few days, going fishing at my secret location close to Tinaroo, but better ;D . Any of you figured it out yet? might drop a big hint soon on this awesome location.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

TinarooTriumph
13-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Ah. Back from my few days fishing, did a fair bit, caught some beauts. But mostly just gave our new outboard a run around.

Good to see Faust is getting a few votes, and same goes for Monduran (thanks for the tips fella's :))

TinarooTrimuph 8-)

Owen
13-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Fitzy, sorry to sound like a complete w###, but what the hell is a global moderator ???

It means if he hits CTRL ALT DELETE the whole worls gets the blue screen of death ;)

cheers,
Owen

Blinky
22-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Daly River beats 'em all...........hands down! ;)

Zahly
22-04-2006, 12:06 PM
i put down callide, but changed my mind since the other night at awoonga ;) awoonga's the go

gwydir
22-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Tend to agree with Les on the Fairbairn thing. Not a crash hot barra fishery. At all. I live out here at Emerald and it's not much trouble getting barra out of the local river here in town but the dam is quite slow. Dam jujst got a good 91.5K Meg inflow from the rains of a fortnight ago - might stir some of the natives a bit.