PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for bugs and pearlmeat

fishlady
19-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Does anyone want to share any bug recipes? I sell whole bugs, bug tails and occaisionally bugmeat and am always being asked for the best recipe.
Also sell pearl oyster meat and cant find a recipe anywhere. Not sure Mr Paspaly wants to share his secrets but if I have no joy here thats where I'll head!!

Thanks Jane

bassgirl
19-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi Jane,

Was looking at prawn recipes for tonight & noticed this bug recipe from "Out of the Blue Seafood Recipes 2"

BALMAIN BUGS WITH SWEET CIDER SAUCE

16 Balmain Bugs (or Moreton Bay Bugs)
80ml Olive Oil
150ml Lemon Juice
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
3 Tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Dill, finely chopped
80ml Apple Cider
40g Butter

Remove heads, cut the bodies in 1/2 lengthways, place in a single layer on a shallow non-metallic dish.

In a small bowl, compine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley & dill; pour over the bugs, cover & refrigerate for at least 1 hr.

Cook bugs on a char-grill pan or BBQ flat plate, shell side down for 2 min; turn & cook for another 2 min or until tender, transfer to a serving platter.

Simmer the apple cider in a small saucepan until reduced by 2/3rds, reduce the heat & add the butter, stirring until melted, remove from the heat & pour over the bugs.

Serve with crusty bread & green salad.

Haven't tried this recipe, but sounds nice & easy!

tuppence
19-04-2006, 08:41 PM
hi jane.
and everybody else there needs good recipes from all over the world and they are free! go to www.recipesource.com

regards
tuppence

fishlady
20-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks so much for the help girls. Will get off here and go check out that site Tuppence.
Have a great day
Jane

fishlady
20-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Sorry tuppance just realised you were a boy!!
Checked out the site but to no avail.
Not one pearl meat recipe and only one for Moreton bay bug but bassgirls' sounds much nicer. Any more suggestions?
I also sent an email to paspaley pearls......will let you know if i have any joy!

jaybee
21-04-2006, 07:05 AM
here is one for you from Western Australia
CLICKY (http://www.abc.net.au/message/tv/ms/pearlmeat.htm)

Cheers
Joe

pog mo hoin
27-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Halve the Bugs and clean out the muck, arrange on an oven tray. Combine a mixture of equal amounst of freshly chopped chilli, ginger, garlic, coriander, thai basil, tumeric yes fresh tumeric, fish sauce, sweet chilli, lime leaf, lime juice and sweet soy. Once chopped place into a mixing bowl with room temp butter and mix all together. Spoon generously over the bug meat and chuck in the oven at about 200-220 C until cooked. You can chuck them in the BBQ with the hood or even the webber. The great thing about this great butter is you can make it up in bulk, portion it up and freeze until you need some pulled out for next time. You can just chop it up frozen and chuck on and in.