PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Mackeral

toadie
13-03-2006, 08:44 AM
My wife is going to be cooking some of the mackeral i caught for dinner tonight and we've never cooked it before,so we were wondering if we needed to skin them or not.

Lone_Wolf
13-03-2006, 09:58 AM
It's all a matter of personal taste toadie, cubed off the fillet in chunks not much bigger than a fish finger, no skin, twenty to the bag and that feeds my clan. Dipped in egg and flour in a hot fry pan with oil and it's great with steamed veges. ...YUMMY!

Girella
13-03-2006, 12:10 PM
You could try simply pan frying in a heavy coating of lemon pepper.

PK

blaze
13-03-2006, 01:29 PM
they are ok like that pete aint they, mind you its the only way Ive tried em

Big_Ren
13-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Pan fried fillets/cutlets in butter. Also mix a little honey with soy sauce in a saucepan and drizzle the warm marinade over the cooked fish.

Cheers
Paul

MADKEEN
13-03-2006, 03:33 PM
just remember one thing don't over cook it or it well dry out something trouble.

MulletMan
13-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Skin and bone them the mac fillets
Heat oil in pan, add some garlic, red wine, 1/2 cup rum and a teaspoon of butter.
Get this mix almost to boiling.
Add the mackeral and cook for a maximum of two minutes each side
Drain the pan juices through a strainer into a cup
Place cooked fillets on some paper towels in a deep bowel and pour the juices all over them
Remove fillets, chuck 'em in the bin and eat the paper towels!!!
(Best part of the meal) ;) ;) ;) ;)

MulletMan
13-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Skin and bone the the mac fillets
Heat oil in pan, add some garlic, 1/4 cup red wine, 1/2 cup Bundy rum and a teaspoon of butter.
Get this mix almost to boiling.
Add the mackeral and cook for a maximum of two minutes each side
Drain the pan juices through a strainer into a cup
Place cooked fillets on some paper towels in a deep bowel and pour the juices all over them
Remove fillets, chuck 'em in the bin and eat the paper towels!!!
(Best part of the meal) #;) ;) ;) ;)

MulletMan
13-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Oooooops!

gone_phishin
13-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Too much rum and red wine in those paper towels eh PP ;D ;D ;D

Geoff

nodjule
13-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Have to agree, Mackeral equals catch and release.............. Spaniards included..
Go tha reef fish, red is good...

nullaqua
13-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I am of the opinion that most catch + release macks don't survive.

backhoe
13-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Gotta get rid of the skin. Cut the flesh off the skin rather than the skin of the flesh (if you know what I mean) due to it's softness. Another good way to cook it for those like me that aren't really into fish is to dip thin strips in soy sauce and then cook quickly on the BBQ plate

nodjule
13-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I am of the opinion that most catch + release macks don't survive.
why is that ?????

Hagar
13-03-2006, 09:02 PM
1 Catch & bleed .
2 Ice it
3 Fillet and skin . Cut off any red bloodline .
4 Cook any way you like . It's pretty bulletproof if steps 1,2,3 are done . If not give it to the cat .

toadie
14-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all the ideas.My wife decided to try the honey and soy sauce mix.It was absolutely beautiful.

Nic
14-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Mack is a good fish for putting in a marinara because it holds its shape. Reefie flesh falls to bits, and anyway it seems a shame to dilute a reefie’s flavour with all that strong sauce.
A quick way to cook a marinara is to use a couple of tins of roma tomatoes, add onion, garlic, chilli, butterflied green prawns and mack cubes. When it’s pretty much cooked stir in half a tub of cream. Serve with fettuccine and top it off with cracked pepper and parmesan. :)

wayne_cook
14-03-2006, 01:46 PM
all suggestions good.NICE fresh. DON"T overcook as previously stated.

Jitlands
14-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Fillett, place skin down on cutting board, slice at 45degree angle about 25mm thick, dip in mix of wasabi and terryaki then on to a hot BBQ plate

Serve with fresh greek salad and cold beer

NEWBY
14-03-2006, 02:12 PM
From The Newby recipe book and I have eaten it many times.
Cut into cutlets.
Dip in plain flour
dip in egg
now into seasoned flour this time and then into a fry pan, low heat, cook slow in butter. NOT MARGERINE. Marg is 1 molecule short of plastic and stuffs the taste up. Must be butter. After your fish is cooked, heat pan a bit more and pour in a small amount of red wine, yes RED wine and deglaze the pan. let it simmer and reduce, add a bit of lemon juice and pour over the fish. Serve with salad.

toadie
14-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Thank you all for your cooking suggestions.I'm sure i will try all of them

435_Mark
14-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Yummmmmmmackeral!!!
Lets face it, if they are looked after, (bled then iced) they are tops. Just to put my two bob's worth in for cooking them the lazy fisherman way:
1. Cut the fillets into finger food sizes (I won't even mention cutlets Peee UUUU)
2. Whack some alfoil on the griller
3. Put the fillets down
4. Grate some cheese over the top
5. Pour over some freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
6. Turn the griller onto high
7. Send the missus out for some chips (I told you - the lazy fisherman's way!)
8. Haul them out when the cheese has browned nicely and tuck in .

The fillets cook all the way through, you crumple up the alfoil and throw it in the bin with the paper from the chips and ..... best of all.... it tastes bl##dy fantastic!!! To Easy.

Mark

roz
14-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Mackeral always tastes better with skin off, IMO, and filleted...tastes totally different than steaks (better).

Nodule, I have tagged and released mackeral, and they are very hard to keep alive, I find it almost impossible to T&R a well hooked fish and expect it to survive.

Red fish are yummo, but mackeral are just as good.

Roz

farticus
14-03-2006, 07:22 PM
they can be eaten cooked on the bbq very good but dont eat a ciguteror mackerel from harvy bay you wont do it again.

nodjule
14-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Mackeral always tastes better with skin off, IMO, and filleted...tastes totally different than steaks (better).

Nodule, I have tagged and released mackeral, and they are very hard to keep alive, I find it almost impossible to T&R a well hooked fish and expect it to survive.

Red fish are yummo, but mackeral are just as good.

Roz
Roz, have to agree to disagree on this one, I have never had problems releasing mackeral after capture, as long as you get them in quick and swim them correctly, even the 20kg plus models.

IMO redfish---mackeral # #chalk and cheese , they really should not be mentioned in the same sentence, pays to have everybodys taste in fish differing otherwise we all would be chasing the same species for the table.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Cheers # Nodjule

Shooter
14-03-2006, 08:45 PM
When I cook the fillets I leave the skin on. They dont dry out as much that way and then remove the skin after they are cooked.

bundopeace
15-03-2006, 12:19 AM
nono wat we do.. we season it with some salt and curry powder. then pan fry it un til the edges are a bit burnt...
totally delicious

tshort
15-03-2006, 04:59 AM
PP are you realy talking about bowel juices here.

Tony_N
15-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Mack is a good fish for putting in a marinara because it holds its shape. Reefie flesh falls to bits, and anyway it seems a shame to dilute a reefie’s flavour with all that strong sauce.
A quick way to cook a marinara is to use a couple of tins of roma tomatoes, add onion, garlic, chilli, butterflied green prawns and mack cubes. When it’s pretty much cooked stir in half a tub of cream. Serve with fettuccine and top it off with cracked pepper and parmesan. #:)

Why is it that when you order a marinara in America, they don't put fish in it? Its just done in a tomato-based sauce? :-X Same reason as they call a main course an entree I suppose ::)

rebelone
20-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Got to agree with Hager. I have fished for mackeral for most of my 52 years and was never real keen on them to eat, only ever cut them into steaks. About 2 years ago we started to fillet and skin and trim any red meat away, now they are up there with my favourite fish----coral trout included. When you catch them, bleed and put into ice slurry this not only makes for better eating but sets the flesh so they are much easier to fillet and skin. By the way here on the MNC of NSW we tend to rightly or wrongly call them snook... both spotties and barries. After you have filleted them cut the frames into sections and stick em under the grill and eat them cold the next day------bloody bewdifull :P

coxy
21-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Mack are a strong flavoured fish & dry out very quicky if not treated with respect. I've had them in a million marinades & they most often come up trumps.
My fave however is in Thai fish cakes (I have a recipe if you wish)
Just be careful with the way you treat them from moment of capture to table.

Krazi-kev
13-07-2006, 11:13 AM
How did the cooked Mackeral taste??????????

If I catch my own, bleed it and put on ice straight away. Get home I take fillets off skin on. Cover completely with salt(heaps of salt)..........overnight
Wash off with vinegar and submerge in vinegar for 1 hour. Drain well, skin should peel off easily. Slice into bite sized pieces and dip into soy sauce and ginger mixture

YUM!!!!! vinegared mackeral..sashimi style

Nothing beats fresh