PDA

View Full Version : smoking fish ,methods,flavors, ideas please

manangatang
14-08-2006, 08:41 AM
just got pro hunter smoker had first go at this yesterday,didnt turn out very nice said in directions to put generous amount of salt on fillets ,leave 20 mins then smoke ,just used saw dust that came with kit probably not the best flavor,and dont know about the salt ended up too salty for me ,any sugestions please,thanks mick.

Fishslayer
14-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Hey Mick,This is what i was shown in Kiwi land and it works for me. Next time just lightly salt and pepper the fillets and then rub on some brown sugar (not raw sugar) , leave for about 20 minutes then smoke them. Wont taste sweet but i am sure you will like the flavour. The wood shavings is a matter of trial and error to see what flavour suits you. Fillets dont take long so dont overdo it.
Cheers
Simon

fish2eat
14-08-2006, 11:46 AM
the two things that determine the flavour is the marinade/cure and the wood type used.

The Pro Hunter comes with plain bush mixed hardwood, flavour OK but most BBQ and camping stores sell small packets of more exotic woods. As you only need a small amount, a little bag of sawdust can last a long time.

I mix up a brine based marinade with about a half cup of salt and half cup of brown sugar per litre of water. Add to that any flavourings, herbs, sauces you like and don't be afraid to experiment. Soak fish/meat for about 20-30 mins then dry on a rack until a shiny coating called a "pellicle" forms. This is not necessary, but keeps the fish moist while smoking.

Tony_N
15-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Have a search down this board (Recipes). There is quite a bit of info under 2 or 3 different topics on smoking.

manangatang
16-08-2006, 07:42 PM
thanks guys,got em tony ,cheers.