PDA

View Full Version : Mick's simple beer batter.

MickSA
05-09-2006, 09:14 PM
G'day Folks, being a south aussie who loves his whiting and mulloway cooked in a beer batter, i thought i would share with you all what i do to produce a nice light crispy beer battter.

3/4 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1 egg
1 stubbie (i prefer light)
A pinch of salt

Sift the flour to add air to it, add the pinch of salt, then just break the egg and add the stubbie, if you would like the batter a little thicker or thinner adjust the flour content or add soda water (or tap water if you have nothing else) just whisk away for a few minutes and wella! #:)

Enjoy! #8-)

Fishin_Dan
05-09-2006, 09:24 PM
There's just not much better things to eat than beer battered whiting! :D

Lucky_Phill
19-09-2006, 08:00 PM
For ' crispier ' batter, I add about 1/3rd of the amount of Plain flour..of Corn Flour

Phill

Funchy
21-01-2012, 07:03 PM
G'day Folks, being a south aussie who loves his whiting and mulloway cooked in a beer batter, i thought i would share with you all what i do to produce a nice light crispy beer battter.

3/4 cup self raising flourt
3/4 cup plain flour
1 egg
1 stubbie (i prefer light)
A pinch of salt

Sift the flour to add air to it, add the pinch of salt, then just break the egg and add the stubbie, if you would like the batter a little thicker or thinner adjust the flour content or add soda water (or tap water if you have nothing else) just whisk away for a few minutes and wella! #:)

Enjoy! #8-)

Gotta bump this! Bloody great little batter mix and sooooooo easy. Kids loved it. Thanks Mick

BillyT2382
21-01-2012, 07:51 PM
mmm Yummm sounds like a real good batter i got try that, Here's another link to "Tempura Batter" looks and probably taste really good to..

Cheers
Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lsPMiAKZc

Damned67
17-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Since finding this recipe a few years ago (on this site), it's the only way I've battered fish since.
Simply awesome, especially with flathead.
If I've got the time and enough fish, it's fish burritos.

trymyluck
17-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Since finding this recipe a few years ago (on this site), it's the only way I've battered fish since.
Simply awesome, especially with flathead.
If I've got the time and enough fish, it's fish burritos.

Doesn't go too bad on coral trout either............

nigelr
17-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Had battered snapper pieces tonight, got to love it!
And have to agree, battered mulloway is superb!
And, believe it or not so are battered wobbygong pieces...well they were, back when it was legal to take them.

lethal
26-03-2012, 10:58 AM
for a crispier batter add ice into the mix, cool mix into hot oil = crispy batter

murf
26-03-2012, 04:13 PM
for a crispier batter add ice into the mix, cool mix into hot oil = crispy batter

leave in fridge for a few hours or even over night, let the beer taste get out of it and let the beer work its magic, but yes cold batter hot oil = yum

I hate the taste of beer so the longer the batter sits in the fridge the better it gets ;)

cheers Murf

marto78
26-03-2012, 05:32 PM
leave in fridge for a few hours or even over night, let the beer taste get out of it and let the beer work its magic, but yes cold batter hot oil = yum

I hate the taste of beer so the longer the batter sits in the fridge the better it gets ;)

cheers Murf

Probably not much point making beer batter then hey :P

murf
26-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Probably not much point making beer batter then hey :P

haha yep but I always manage to steal a beer when they are not looking and have a moonshine to make me happy ;)

cheers murf

Mrs Ronnie H
28-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi
try adding about half a teaspoon of bicarb to the mix.

Ronnie