PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare Morwong for the table???

Krazi-kev
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

Anybody got any idea on How to prepare Morwong for the table. Caught one 2 days ago about 3kg.

Thanks

Az
12-07-2006, 10:37 AM
don't know.. usually give them away ;D

Big_unit
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah not the best table fish BUT provided you bleed and ice them straight away they are ok and I skin them as well.

Some say freezing them helps.

Cheers
James

Noelm
12-07-2006, 10:47 AM
just fillet as normal and cook in flour or crumbs, they are Ok to eat, not as bad as every one makes out, most people have never eaten them as they just listen to others who say 'give em away"

Krazi-kev
12-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I am considering a fish soup but I like the idea of temura as well

Krazi-kev
12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
I mean Tempura

themisses
12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
They are yumm. Simmer in small frypan or ovenbake in foil with coconut cream and mango slices, can put in a whole chilli and fresh kaffir lime leaf for flavour(Take out before serving) Then serve with brown rice and steamed veg. Saw it on Maclom Douglas show, it is now one of our favorite ways to do fish. Cheers Kim. :)

logan_whiting
12-07-2006, 06:05 PM
prepare Morwong for the table

= give it to ur mother-in-law

dfox
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Mince it up, freeze, and use for burley next trip, snapper love it ;)
The old slatey bream, (morwong)is one of those fish that varry in taste depending on what they have been feeding on. Ive eaten plenty of them and some have been reasonable and others down right terriable.
Each to his own, but id drown it in other flavours as "the missus" has stated.
Even just cooked up basic with flower and straight into the fry pan its goto be better then some or most of the imported crap...

hussy
12-07-2006, 07:09 PM
cut the table into small peices before boiling, when soft ,throw mowong away and eat table.

hubby

Lifestyle
12-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Mate wrap the in alum. foil a bit of butter lemmon and straight on the bbq. Its easy and locks in the flavour.

Commodore
12-07-2006, 10:37 PM
1 part keen curry powder, 2 part flour, cut MILF into 2inch bits and place in freezer bag with flour, shake, place into hot pan(oil), 1 minute each side or until golden, taste pretty good and I use this with some trev’s and alike makes good chewing. And like the fox says, 100% better than imported, s%#$ eating cat fish. ;)
Cheers,
Chong

Krazi-kev
13-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Ok

A few styles to consider.

Feedback coming soon. If mother-in-law never lived in Japan I could have probably sent some to her.

Noelm
13-07-2006, 09:43 AM
hey a Mowong is NOT a slatey Bream, if you live in the Southern areas, they are a completely different thing and are quite good eating, so, krazy kev are you referring to a Mowong or a Slatey bream??

Krazi-kev
13-07-2006, 10:47 AM
I actually think I am talking about Slatey Bream. Blueish grey skin with thick lips.

Krazi-kev
13-07-2006, 10:47 AM
The skipper on the boat called it a Morwong...I am not sure

Commodore
13-07-2006, 01:33 PM
The Morwong and slaty bream are the same fish and are All sweetlips
Painted sweetlips (slatey bream) or M.I.L.F
Diagramma pictum
see pic

Krazi-kev
13-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Perfect CHONG

Thats the one
3kg................caught by the wife of course.

Almost lost it when it headed for the coral.

I liked your recipe too

God to hear that its a sweetlip type fish

Krazi-kev
13-07-2006, 02:17 PM
By the way what does M.I.L.F stand for???

Commodore
13-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Mother -In -Law- Fish
:-X ;)

Noelm
13-07-2006, 02:31 PM
hey I can assure you, down south that is NOT a mowong, but I agree that IS a slatey bream and MAY be referred to a mowong up there.

Krazi-kev
13-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I got it

Maybe a blue Morwong down south

Commodore
13-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Noelm,
got a pic what you southerns call a morwong?? To compare

Noelm
13-07-2006, 04:15 PM
will post if I can dig one up

finding_time
13-07-2006, 05:26 PM
here is the definative recipe for morwong.

1. do not bleed as there is no real need it does not improve the quality of the meal
2. i tend to knock the scales off at the start as this helps with later presentation
3. then fillet
4. once filleted lay out on your board flesh side up
5. cut lengthways into strips approx 1"wide and 6' long
6. at this time prepare a ice slurry and add some salt to drop the temp! ( very important step)
7. take you strips and thread onto a snooded double or and gang of hooks
8. feed this out into your burley trail and catch a bloody decent fish.( note dont let your bait fall all the way to the bottom again you will only catch another Morwong)
9. Once you have caught your decent fish ,bleed and put into your prepared ice slurry.
10. clean the board and never contemplate eating Morwong again( this means you aswell Chemmy)

Ian

Ps. just expanded on your original idea Foxy!!! you haven't really eaten morwong have you mate?

onerabbit
13-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Blue morwong are a pretty good feed, same as lots of other fish , you only get the sh!ts & call them names when you cant catch a different sort of fish.
Pic of a reasonable blue morwong.

Muzz

Noelm
14-07-2006, 09:19 AM
yep, thats a mowie, notice the extra long pectoral fins, half the length of the fish (approx) and although not really all that clear, they are a much more heavily scaled fish and a distinctly forked tail, nothing like a Slatey bream in looks or flavour, plus probably a dozen other differences but you get the picture?

Commodore
14-07-2006, 11:20 AM
looks like a treva to me, will get some books out and have a look tonight,
got any closer pics guys?

marlinqld
14-07-2006, 11:25 AM
MORWONG HAVE THE DISTINCTIVE LONGFINS EACH SIDE........

and they are a good chew too. what you call a morwong in Qld is not the same as the NSW morwong. onerabbits pic is a nice mowie......

Noelm
14-07-2006, 03:06 PM
chong, no way no how is it a trevally of any type, It is a Mowong

onerabbit
14-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Sorry about the picture quality, I dont usually take pics of mowies, that one was around 3 kg & still good eating.

Muzz

Commodore
14-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Ok OK don’t get YOUR nickers in a knot ::), it looked to me like a treva in your pic :-?, and I have attached pic’s of the following:
1. A Silver Trevally photographed at Ned's Beach, Lord Howe Island, New South Wales.
(looked a bit like your morwong) ::)

2. A Blue Morwong at a depth of 27m, Wreck of the Valiant, outside Broken Bay, New South Wales, December 2001,
I believe you :-/, your fish is a morwong, I have learnt something new today :-X, and it looks like a good fish, bit like a cross between an grassie emporer and a treva. :-/

3. A Slate Sweetlips at a depth of 27m, Yongala Wreck, off Townsville, Queensland, November 2001.
What I have always known as the MILF, didn’t know NSW had there own version, bit like football skills……..
Couldn’t resist
Cheers,
Chong

Commodore
14-07-2006, 09:53 PM
;) :o ::) :-X :-[ :P

Commodore
14-07-2006, 09:54 PM
QLD MILF :-X ;)

dfox
14-07-2006, 11:53 PM
There seems to be alot of confussion over this morwong issue so i'll attempt to clarify things.
Now our southern friends have a fish that they refer to as a blue morwong or mowie and it is a fair table fish. Theres also a few other species refered to as morwong in these southern waters as well.
In queensland we have a number of fish refered to as morwong, in fact there are dozens of different species with the refered tag of morwong.
There all members of the haemulidae family, sometimes refered to as the blubber lip family. One of these is diagramma pictum or better known as the slatey bream(as pictured above) others in this family range from the brown blubber lip through to the really colourful painted blubber lip. All these fish as diverse as they are are refered to as morwong.
All the fish in this blubberlip family or morwongs as we'll call them are quite edible, but they unfortunately are in most cases regarded as poor eating, this is how they gained the name mother in law fish or milf for short. Hope that helps...foxy
Heres a pic of another type of morwong...

noluck
15-07-2006, 12:13 AM
is any one know or see princes morwongs
i heard that far best eating #from all family of MILF

#one think i know #my neighbour say that fish from yestrday(morwong) was very delishess
how he prepering i will ask him ones #he is from Japan i i think

cheers no_luck

Krazi-kev
17-07-2006, 09:25 AM
To get back to the original story -recipes

Just to let you all know that it turned into a fish and noodle spicy soup that was quite delicious. Used the carcass to make a nice stock for the soup base.

Mother-in-law will be proud of me

Cheers guys

Noelm
17-07-2006, 09:34 AM
yep, that is the point if the whole discussion, don't just take someones word for a fish being a "throw back" unless it is poison of course, just try it and see, then you know for sure yourself, a lot of "give aways" came from yonks ago when only Snapper and such were considered worthy of eating, times have changed and some past "undesirables are now targeted, it was not all that long ago when Kingfish was considered "crap" and almost unmarketable for the pros, times have sure changed on that one (and a lot of others)

rusco
20-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Acouple of months late ...but no has mentioned leaving fillets soaking in milk overnight...certainly takes any bad taste out of the flesh....Remember this for the next mowie
Better late than never!!!

Rusco

shayned
21-09-2006, 09:23 AM
A little left of centre I know but just for the record I always thought MILFS were desireable things? ::) ;) ;D