PDA

View Full Version : Cooking mangrove jack

Runamuck
28-10-2006, 09:46 AM
I have a 3.5 kilo mangrove jack that i want to cook in the weber . Has anyone got any good ideas/ recipes that they would recommend.

Cheers
Adam

Kendall249
29-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Sounds like an awesome jack, I would bake it with any flavours that you prefer. I also have to say that they have to be the best eating estuary fish, better than barra. Was that jack caught in the creeks or reef, as i sounds bigger than your average creek jack.

Runamuck
30-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Reef

choppa
10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
i posted this a while back as a way how to make a mango vanish,,, but it tastes great

first the fish

choppa
10-11-2006, 08:57 PM
2nd,,,bakin tray to suit size of fish,,,,,,this can be tricky,,,

place a decent knob of butter in bottom of tray,,,,rub fish in same,,,,copius amounts of fresh lemon,,(sliced), half a lime,, 2 full ripe tomatoes (sliced),,shallots (diced), and a small dash of red wine

choppa
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
3rd,, add a small amount of soy (small being the key,,, ) and a slurp of sweet chilli sauce,,, cover in alfoil and seal,,, place on low setting on bbq or in webber,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

choppa
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
4th,,,, during cooking,,, throw in a hand full of onions,,, top up red wine as needed,,, but dont turn fish,,, salt pepper optional,,,,,, recover and throw down a coldie,,,re check fluid level (of tray) and top up MARGINALLY if neded,,,, it should look like this

choppa
10-11-2006, 09:13 PM
which in turn,,,,, then becomes this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Runamuck
11-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks brother. . . . .i have another fish, though its only 1.5kg , i will be trying your dish tonight and i will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Adam

Runamuck
11-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Choppa, do you stuff the cavity with anything?????

Bates_Motel
13-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the tips choppa. Had a 3kg one in the barbe on sunday. Tasted great [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2DKnBJ
13-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Choppa
Will have to try that one.Damn it looks good.

Normally when i keep a Jack i keep it alive till i get home.
I will pre-heat the oven while i clean and prepare the fish.

Preperation.
Gut ,gill and scale.
3 or 4 scores down each side and fill with garlic butter.
Gooooood squeeze of lemon with a dash of salt and pepper.
Wrap in alfoil then straight into the oven.
If the fish is still kicking you have done well ;D

Cheers Dazza

Kendall249
14-11-2006, 12:18 AM
well done with those pics choppa ;D ;D ;D

choppa
14-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Choppa, do you stuff the cavity with anything?????

mate you can stuff the cavity,,, but i've found that the sauce seems to be enough,,,garlic is okay as well but the sweet chilli version makes for a bit of a change,,,,,(i love garlic in everything,,,)

glad you all enjoyed it,,,,,,

good to hear from you dazza,,,, hows that no 1 son going?????????

choppa

Noelm
14-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I think that good eating fish (like jacks) should not be "fooled around" with, best leave all the onions and chillies and stuff for the lesser eating quality fish (like Barra) Whiting and Snapper etc and the like should be cooked simply and not over cooked to savour the flavour of quality fresh fish, just my opinion of course, but, it is what I do myself.

choppa
14-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I think that good eating fish (like jacks) should not be "fooled around" with, best leave all the onions and chillies and stuff for the lesser eating quality fish (like Barra) Whiting and Snapper etc and the like should be cooked simply and not over cooked to savour the flavour of quality fresh fish, just my opinion of course, but, it is what I do myself.

same as steak mate,,,,,,,,,, some like it rare,,,,,, some like it medium,,,,,, some like it well done,,,,,,,,,,

but if jack to you is in the top 3 of seafood,,,,,,,,,,, ????????????,,,,,,,,,,

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Noelm
15-11-2006, 01:11 PM
not really rating the eating qualities of a jack, even though I think they are good, i just feel that GOOD fresh fish should not be overpowered with a dozen different "herbs and spices"

sleepygreg
16-11-2006, 01:27 AM
I half agree with noelm on that one. A good quality, fresh fish should stand alone shallow fried with a dusting of flour, or tepanyaki style on the bbq hotplate, or wrapped in foil with a bit of lemon. But with the addition a one or two fresh herbs like coriander, chili, garlic, ginger, basil,thyme, oregano, chives (FRESH - not the dried variety)....or a sprinkle of soy, mirin, saki, worcestershire, wine........................NOT ALL AT THE SAME TIME..........can turn a great feed into a culinary dream. Just my humble opinion.

Cheers
Greg

Noelm
16-11-2006, 09:17 AM
yep thats what I was trying to say, by all means "do your thing" but heaps of pastes and herbs and stuff is best left for other "less" desireable but still quite edible species.

-Henno-
03-12-2006, 05:45 PM
We have a couple of jacks we got today that I am wondering what to do with this time. May try your lemon/lime one Choppa.

Has anybody ever found jacks to have fatty skin? The last one we got we baked whole and the skin seems to be quite thick and fatty, kind of gelatinous if that's the right word. One of the ones we have today is quite fat through the guts for a 45cm model so I was thinking about filleting and skinning him coz of this.

Anybody ever filleted one?

aussiefool
03-12-2006, 08:03 PM
yep I always fillet mine, then just flour and fry. I do this to all "new" fish I try so I can then get a better idea what it really teasts like

-Henno-
03-12-2006, 08:23 PM
How about the skin though? Ever noticed it being kinda jelly like?

aussiefool
04-12-2006, 04:07 AM
never taken any real notice, if your worried just skin or do what I do and cook it skin sind down till crispy and lift off once cooked