PDA

View Full Version : Boning flathead

Bully_boy
11-12-2006, 10:22 PM
My wife and kids love eating flathead but i'm forever picking out the bones for them especially the kids as we're worried they'll choke on them being only 2 and 4 years old , is there a way to remove all the bones if not most of them?

sleepygreg
12-12-2006, 12:36 AM
just heading to bed now bully, but tomorra i give ya the run down on how to do it right.....its a bit long winded and im buggered.

cheers

Greg

Punkin
12-12-2006, 04:42 AM
I'll let Greg tell ya how to fillet and bone em, but wil say..Don't let anyone tell ya to skin em with a knife, fillet but don't scale, then peel a little bit of skin back at one end, grab it with your fingers and just peel it off.

Yummy skinned fillet with no waste ;)

Noelm
12-12-2006, 08:28 AM
I prefer to scale my Flathead and cook the skin 'till it is crispy, delicious, and to remove the bones you need to look at the anatomy of a Flathead as they are sort of different from a "normal" fish.once you see how they are "made" you can debone them OK.

imported_admin
03-01-2007, 12:11 AM
shot this on the weekend, hope it helps

dhhZt7d58Hk

BRISSIE_1
12-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds good !! tastese better Im sure ..

Birchy
24-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Great Video, watched it and filleted the three lizards caught this morning, one 70cm, one 60cm, and one about 55cm, and worked a treat using that method, thanks again...

Birchy

robersl
04-11-2007, 04:28 PM
if you fillet like the video on here but do not take the fillet completely off cut to the skin at the tail turn knife upside down on the skin pick up the fillet pull back towards the head and should take bones and skin at one time

kind_cir
05-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Taking the skin off like in the vid is the hard way,
Fillet the fish as shown but take the pectorial fin with the fillet. Do not make the slice down the length of the fillet as shown.
Insert your finger in the small recess between the skin and the pec fin work it in there till you are able to get your thumb in the space between the skin and fin. Use the pec fin as a handle and grab hold of the fillet with the other hand and just rip the skin off the fillet. To start it it's a little hard but once started it's very easy.

alleycat
21-01-2008, 09:00 AM
A good knife is the key, most bought knives need blade to be thinner by using belt sander or grinding wheel, then a good steel is a must, ask your local butcher what he can order you but dont pay more than 40$.

trev1
29-01-2008, 06:34 PM
definately an aussie vid, with the blowfly showing up toward the end
good show though