PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Cooked Prawns

gunna
10-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Guys - whats the story with freezing cooked prawns ? Do they thaw and taste ok ?? The missus wants them over Xmas and I am thinking of buying them now and freezing till then ??

backhoe
10-12-2006, 08:39 PM
A lot of the prawns you will buy have already been frozen so probably not a good idea to freeze them again. Probaly better off buying some that are frozen and then hopefully they will have been snapped properly the first time and will only be thawed out once. If you do this they should be better than if you bought fresh ones and then froze them in a home freezer.

Noelm
11-12-2006, 08:07 AM
if you are buying prawns, try to get them in the 5KG box that the markets get them in, and as they are IQF, defrost as many as you need, to defrost put in a cool place and run some water over them (thats what the fish markets do), take them and put in the fridge when they are nearly completley thawed, the really best way, but it is a bit of mucking around, is to get a plastic fish box full of clean Sea Water and thaw them in that, you would think you just caught them, delicious.

moondancer
11-12-2006, 09:31 AM
I can feel Chrissy seafood lunch happening already! Good idea to buy before the prices hike up! (or have they already??)

gunna
11-12-2006, 05:00 PM
if you are buying prawns, try to get them in the 5KG box that the markets get them in, and as they are IQF, defrost as many as you need, to defrost put in a cool place and run some water over them (thats what the fish markets do), take them and put in the fridge when they are nearly completley thawed, the really best way, but it is a bit of mucking around, is to get a plastic fish box full of clean Sea Water and thaw them in that, you would think you just caught them, delicious.

Any idea where I would buy the 5k box Noel ??

Punkin
12-12-2006, 04:37 AM
Any of the supermarkets or shops that sell prawns will sell ya one mate. Best idea is to ask em for a price on a box, can often save a few bucks ;)

Noelm
12-12-2006, 08:29 AM
yes correct, but try a good Fish market rather than a Supermarket because they will have a variety of Prawns, rather than one type, where are you from??

gunna
12-12-2006, 01:22 PM
I am on the Sunny Coast Noel.

Hey Punkin - they do that in the supermarkets at Tamworth ??

Nico.d.R
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
an old chap down at the boat ramp swears the best way to keep fresh prawns fresh is to peel them before freezing . and putting them in salt water is good , i always cook prawns and crabs in salt water fresh water kills the taste of any sea food . Good luck and enjoy your chrissy prawns .

_Dan_
13-12-2006, 10:03 AM
My mate sells them in 5kg boxes, he reckons just defrost in salted water about 1 cup of sea salt per garden bucket of water.

Supposably alot of the seafood you buy at christmas is prefrozen anyways...

Noelm
13-12-2006, 10:48 AM
yes dan, you are correct, most prawns are frozen before you get them in the shops, but, they are frozen (usually) on the boat and as such, the quality is kept to a high standard.

_Dan_
13-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Noel, thats true.

its in the eyes of seafood they reckon for the freshness.. ;)

Punkin
16-12-2006, 05:55 AM
I am on the Sunny Coast Noel.

Hey Punkin - they do that in the supermarkets at Tamworth ??

Yeah sure, don't buy much from the supermarkets, only squid tubes for chilli salt squid or smoked fish. When i do want stuff though i ask em to go and get some frozen stuff from the cool room...not the dried out defrosted stuff i gotta try and refreeze :-/
Woolies and all the rest'll do it for ya. Did buy a 5kg box of prawns a few years ago from one of the supermarkets up here...weren't much chop

Got a mate who's a rep for one of the wholesalers who sell food to the shops up here, so i only get the frozen, peeled, green Tigers as far as prawns go.
Freeze my own fish on occasional trips to the coast then catch and release round here. 8-)

pedostool
12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
sounds good ,off the fish shop now