PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Deciding

John
15-10-2001, 11:48 AM
I am only new to the baitcaster game. Looking to buy 1 between $130 to $180(can't afford any more) .It will mainly be used for Yella's and the odd trout. Probably running 12lb mono or similar diameter in fusion. Was thinking maybe spidercast pro 5ooL?

elegant_bass
15-10-2001, 04:58 PM
JOHN
I USE ABU 5600 C4,VERY HAPPY WITH IT.COST($165-$185).

BIG BAD BASS ;D ;D ;D

davo
15-10-2001, 05:30 PM
John,

I'm with the last bloke but I'd say get an ABU 4600C4 or even C3. The smaller reel will cast lighter lures better. I've got an old 4500C and it will cast a 1/4 oz spinnerbait with ease and the spare parts are all compatable with the new ones. I even upgraded the line guide to a Titanium one by ordering the new
part number from a new ABU I bought. They are also very simple to service and even though I have a Calcutta the ABU
is still very good.

Davo

Master_Jig_Builder
17-10-2001, 02:09 AM
John

While I agree with comments made above, another option is the smaller Shimano Corsair reels. Priced well and have served me without fault over many seasons.

Simon
17-10-2001, 06:44 AM
If its just for bass and trout and you will be mostly casting I would try for the smaller sized baitcasters (ABU 4500 would be a max). Every tackle store I've been in says that spidercast are OK but Shimano and ABU are better. (could be horses for courses). Hunt around for the slightly better reel thats on special.
If its mostly trolling then the previous ABU's would be fine. If you were fishing mostly trout I would get a small spinning real and a pack of casting plugs to practise in the back yard as you will toss lighter lures futher and your accuracy will be good with practice.

I have an ABU 3600 C for bass cost me $150 on special a while back..

If your casting and you don,t have a good casting rod it won't matter how much you spend on a reel you won't get the best out of it.

Cheers simon

John
21-10-2001, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all the help ending up getting an ABU 4600c4 on a ABU Morrum rod.