PDA

View Full Version : gps 12 volt leads

adrian
20-12-2001, 07:31 AM
hi folks
does anyone have a problem with a 12volt lead on the gps ??? as mine now wants to play up and only work when not out fishing it is a garim plus 2 a new sets me back $50.00 just want to know if it's me or it's a faluty lead any answers would be great

anzac

Jim_Linden
20-12-2001, 06:56 PM
Anzac,

Does your 12V lead have a plastic, in-line fuse holder in it?

If it does, that will almost certainly be your problem.

To check it out, turn your GPS on, and once it is functioning give the fuse-holder a flick with your finger. You will probably find the GPS shuts down.

These fuse holders are notoriously unreliable and, when you have a look at how they are made, you won't be surprised. Cheap, cruddy little bits of brass held under spring pressure against the ends of the glass fuse cartridge.

Make sure the internal brass connections and the end caps of the fuse cartridge are clean, and if necessary stretch the small internal spring to ensure that there is plenty of tension when you join the two halves of the fuse-holder together.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jim Linden

mossy43
20-12-2001, 07:42 PM
Anzac I think Jim is right on the money I have a Garmin and that was the same problem I had. Due to the vibrations of the boat while moving along it would cause the fuse to break contact. I actually crimped mine with zip ties and I never had a problem after that. ;D Mossy43

adrian
24-12-2001, 11:42 AM
thanks for the info
a little further news a wire has broke inside the the lead it self right next to the plug that goes into the unit itself . strange just let others know and if anyone else has had any problems with their's.
anzac