PDA

View Full Version : got material to make lures. what now!!!!

brett99
16-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Hello all fishos if anyone who is out there that know how to make wooden lures could you please take me through some steps of doing so.

krazyfisher
16-01-2002, 05:15 PM
try these sites they are great
www.luremakingtheeasyway.com.au
www.luresonline.com.au
they will be a great help and the first site has a great book
have fun

pockets
16-01-2002, 05:39 PM
I was mucking around last week and made a lure out of a stubbie cap. haha. a treble in one end and an eye in the other for towing.
looks great swimming through the water, but yet to catch a fish only tried once but will try again for a laugh.

cheers

Luke
17-01-2002, 07:05 AM
I have now made a couple of wooden lures two piece carved. Main trick is to get the bib even. I used 2mm perspex for the bib and no.8 staybrite for the eyelets but I'm making plastics at the moment and believe me its a lot quicker once you get your moulds set up.
Cheers Luke

Luke
17-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Just another thing with the bibs. You can use aluminium which in my opinion is easier to shape and tune but I use perspex. Another option is polycarbonate which is more flexible and easier to work with than perspex. I just prefer the firmness of perspex. Remember with timber that different densities float or sink differently so get a few different types of timber and check out the buoyancy for whether you want it to float,sink or be a neutral bouyancy.
Cheers Luke

krazyfisher
17-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Luke
if aluminium is easier to use why don't you use it. I was thinking about useing it but what do you see as the problems?

Luke
18-01-2002, 02:16 AM
Krazy,
aluminium is easier to tune but it would have to be tuned continually especially if you are fishing amongst snags or lure is hitting the bottom. I would use it more for just under the surface lures but like I said I use perspex because I like it's rigidity. Polycarbonate is probably ideal but I like perspex's firmness.
Cheers Luke

Simon
18-01-2002, 12:24 PM
I have now made a couple of wooden lures two piece carved. Main trick is to get the bib even. I used 2mm perspex for the bib and no.8 staybrite for the eyelets but I'm making plastics at the moment and believe me its a lot quicker once you get your moulds set up.
Cheers Luke

Luke where you say plastics do you mean injection moulded or soft plastics ??? ??? ??? or something else?
Intrigued and interested

Simon

Luke
18-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Simon,
neither. They are the same as injection moulded only made out of casting resins instead of compressed foams etc. and are not injected. Cost me way to much money to set that up properly. I carve a design that I like out of wax and make a cast out of silastic and then pour my plastic(casting resin). You end up with two halves, whack a few bb's in the middle and glue it together. Cut a slot for the bib and glue it in. The sites that Krazy mentioned are the ones to look at for instruction. Takes a while to set up but you can pump out as many as you want once you have the moulds you like. Admittedly polyester casting resin is not as strong as compressed foam but it does come close(it would still take a bit for a fish to put it's teeth through it) and for around $2-$3 a lure I cant complain. They swim as good as the bought ones :)
Cheers Luke
Cheers Luke