PDA

View Full Version : setting up a line

bradley1
27-01-2002, 07:12 PM
I bought a jarvis walker zenith series 2 fishing line at kmart,sadly i didnt know it wouldnt have instructions on how to put the line #around the reel.I just thought it went straight thru the holes,but you have to hook it around the reel somehow first,but knowing nothing about fishing (i have only used a hand line before lol) i dont know how to do this.

Anyone understand what i mean and can explain how to do it?

bradley1
28-01-2002, 06:47 PM
Nevermind,its set up now.

Muzzy
28-01-2002, 09:25 PM
mate i never pay to much attention to the knot that is againstthe spool. Mainly because my thinking is when you are at that stage you are stuffed any way the fish has ya done in. I just granny knot the thing there and cut the tag short. and wind on.

Muz

there are special flash knot that the gurus use but hey who wants to do like the gurus?

bradley1
08-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Is there such a thing as a haunted fishing rod? lol

5 fishing trips (southport broadwater 3,logan river waterford 2) No fish lol

Maybe i should of stuck to my hand line

Luke
08-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Brad,
a lesson sadly I learnt out deep was if you don't have your line whipped tightly to the spool is it will spin while the spool doesn't. Get your line tight for the first knot even if you have to learn a new one and don't use a bandaid or anything similar to hold it in place-holds salt and will eventually corrode your spool. Get it on tight with a good knot and no more probs after that.
Cheers Lucky Luke

Muzzy
08-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Is there such a thing as a haunted fishing rod? lol

5 fishing trips (southport broadwater 3,logan river waterford 2) No fish lol

Maybe i should of stuck to my hand line

mate maye be try and fish the rod like a hand line...

is it an egg beater? if so open the bail arn and hold the free line in your hand and strike with that. get a fish hooked and you will suss it all out. With fishing its getting the darn monkey of your back thats the hardest thing, its all down hill from there.

bradley1
08-02-2002, 10:29 PM
Ok muzzy i will try that,thanks.

Thanks for replying Luke,but i dont understand much of that cause im new at fishing #:'( Dad sets my swivels and stuff up if they get snagged off so i might start blaming him for not doing it properly (gotta blame someone,it couldnt possibly be me doing anything wrong #;))

Luke
10-02-2002, 06:12 AM
Sorry Brad,
I did misunderstand you. I was talking about overhead reels. But you still want to have your line bound on tight on the spool. And with the egg beater reels fill the spool right up to within a few mm of the lip so the line running off doesn't have to jump over the lip of the spool.
Cheers Luke