PDA

View Full Version : 7 metre rod-no reel

Luke
11-01-2002, 05:44 AM
I went fishing with the father in law for the first time yesterday and he had a 7 metre Silstar telescopic rod( no exaggeration) with no reel. All he does is tie a 7 metre float setup onto the tip and strictly uses bread for bait. Anyway to cut the story short he landed 19 fish in an hour-mullet of course but also 3 nice bream,trevally and butter bream with no snags to my one undersized bream and 3 lots of tackle still sitting on the bottom. It blew me away- never seen a rod that long-has anyone else had experience with these or even seen them before? Reminded me of being a kid with a stick and bit of line on the end but it seems to work.
Cheers Luke

(no exaggeration-

krazyfisher
11-01-2002, 03:17 PM
I have seen this style of fishing done I japan seems to work well they use bamboo

Andrew
11-01-2002, 06:34 PM
Luke,
look at a coarse fishing web page under pole fishing. Apparently the best match fishermen in England n' Europe use the pole as it is the most sensitive, and therefore successful, method.

It would have to work on drummer and bream in the wash off the rocks. Even more basic than an Alvey. Shave the barb off and pole them in like tuna. Is your Father in Law from Europe? Sic him onto the carp for us.

Andrew.

wsong
11-01-2002, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I have one of those.
Longest one I've seen was 10m+.
(quiet expensive too....)
Rod is VERY sensitive and its a great way to go for small mullets and breams.

WS

Scottie
11-01-2002, 09:58 PM
Luke, some Crappie fisherman use that type of rod here in the states. Crappie is a very tasty panfish, and alot of fun to catch using that method.......Cheers, Scottie

dazza
12-01-2002, 03:17 AM
I remember when we were kids, using dirty great long bamboo rods with no reel and bobbing around snags for yellowbelly. It was a ton of fun. Most of the time the fish won.
I think this type of fishing was and still is pretty popular in rivers and creeks.
Cheers
dazza

Slates
12-01-2002, 07:48 AM
G'day Luke.
Those long poles can be quite common here in Geelong when the trevally are about.
The Cunningham pier can be shoulder to shoulder with these poles and their red and white floats.

Seems pretty effective, but it's not for me ;)

Cheers, Slates

Ratsack
01-04-2002, 05:59 PM
A lot of the old yellow belly fishermen fishing the holes around Vergmont (top end of the channel country) and also the holes on the Barcoo around Isisford used the Whacko rod or bamboo pole with string line and a float. Bobbin it was called. Slap the float on the water a few times to alert the fish to the bait (usually freshwater crays, yabbies, scooped out of the boredrains) and then wait and keep repeating the process, when the float takes the big dive then lean back like a Tuna fisherman.
Great form of fishing, some of the holes fished are not great bodies of water either but remarkable the number of fish that could be caught.
If you havent tried fresh yellowbelly straight out of the water into the pan on the banks of the Barcoo or Thompson rivers then trust me you are missing a great and tasty experience ;D ;D :P