PDA

View Full Version : which ABU?

jezza
09-06-2002, 05:37 AM
G'day all,I'm in the market for a new overhead.I'm fond of ABU's but am willing to "change my alliegiance".I have had an ABU 7000 for the last 20 years,and it's just recently died.
Do I buy another 7000(C3?),the upmarket 7000 lever drag,7700 Morrum or the classic 10 000?Then there's the excellent Calcutta 700.I'm sooooooo confused!Please forward some advice guy's........any appreciated!
I generally fish the beaches for jew or salmon,together with the bycatches of shark and bloody rays!Use 12' 8wrap and 15kg braid.Thanx in advance.
Until next time...

Volvo
09-06-2002, 06:25 AM
Jazza do yourself a favour and go buy yourself a 9000, trust me you wont regret it :) Top reels and should also replace your 7000 as everyone should have a 7000 to their collection ey Lol.
Cheers
Volvo

Alex_B
09-06-2002, 07:13 AM
avoid the lever drag abu's, there not a very good product. imho you have two choices, a ABU 7000CS Pro Rocket from steve barrat in S.A. http://lgf.sea-angler.org/reel_index.htm or what i think is the better reel a Penn 535GS http://www.pennreels.com/cat/reels/categories.php?22&0 and http://www.pennreels.com/cat/reels/products.php?20 those are the USA links and the australian supplier is http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/Gear.asp?Series_id=39&Cat_id=2&.

email jarvis walker and ask them where to buy in your state as these reels have just been added to the australian market, they should cost from approx $190-$250 or so just ask. These have a much superior drag (HT100) to the abu's very poor, hi-speed 6-1 gears, a much better reel.

rob
09-06-2002, 07:29 AM
hi jazza i have owned a 10,000 for 20 years never let me down used it on the beach casting over kelp, the gearing works great lifting 6oz-8oz leads over the weed banks, casting is great,also use it on the boat great all round reel.
also use 6500c 25 years old all bits interchange with the diawa millionaire still going strong levelwind removed for casting,put back in on the boat [this is uk conditions but use these reels boat- beach here] anymore info let me know rob. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Luke
09-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Agree with Alex. I have a 6600c Ambassaduer and had all sorts of probs with it. The bearings went really quickly as with the spring in the ratchet and a few other bits and pieces and I do take relatively good care of it. It has a really nice whirring sound at the moment. Don't think they finished it off properly. Cheers Luke

jezza
09-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Thanx guy's,youve talked me out of the lever drag 7000!I went and had a look at one today in my local store,and you were right,didn't really look the goods!Also the sales guy said their castability was a bit of a let down,due to the fact they were predominantly for usage from boats!Found that an odd statement!Anyway,still after some honest and valid opinions........keep 'em coming!!!!!!
Until next time...

Manson
09-06-2002, 02:58 PM
How you goin mate? I was always a fan of ABU's until I wanted some parts( they took months to get here), I was a bit peeved so I went to the Calcutta's and have not looked back. Abu's are not on the same planet as the Calcutta's ( my opinion only). My gear gets regular workouts on barra xos sooties and everything else that pulls in north Queensland as well and I not known for looking after my gear the best either. The reels outlast the Abu's in hard conditions tenfold, so I guess if you looked after your gear they would give exelant service for 20 years or more.

aussiebasser
09-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Some of my Abu's are over 25 years old. I don't know of any Shimano's that old. Let alone 250 years old. :o Used correctly, and looked after correctly the Abu will last a very long time. As for spare parts. I can get parts for my 25 year old 6000C, try getting them for a 10 year old Shimano. :-/

Luke
10-06-2002, 05:48 AM
I was only talking about that particular model and it might have been a one off dunger as I have two other abu baitcasters that have lasted a long time and still look like they have a lot of life left in them. But there is just some things about that lever drag that left me feeling let down. I don't know about the 7000 but the 6600 is definately not a casting reel.
Cheers Luke

Alex_B
10-06-2002, 12:30 PM
i must agree to the opinions on this board, i used to bag abu's thinking they were old out and out of date and prise shimanos when never owning one!, but after purchasing my second (abu 56005 MAG-X) reel i am very impressed, and looking to build up my collection, but their drags definatly need improving, as soon as you buy a abu buy a set of smooothie drag washers for it, and you'll notice a huge difference, cant go wrong with abu quality!

spinna
10-06-2002, 03:01 PM
Hi all
I have 6 abu reels 2 (7000s) one (5000) one (6000) and two eggbeaters. The (5000) I have 2kg line on it and i use it # spinning for bream/ flathead/ bass it is a great reel 6 years old .The 6000 i use on the rocks /beach/ and boat it has 30 bl braid on it #and its a very good reel 10 yeas old . the two 7000s i use them for snapper /#jews /salmon/ and tailor1 reel is 8 years old and the other reel is 2 mounths old have never had a prob with any of them . I do plan on getting one more 6000 . I do love my abu.

jezza
11-06-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanx to all for your help.I finally decided to purchase another 7000,but this time the C3 model,in a silver rather than the traditional red........damn shame,red ones go faster don't they?The C3 has 3 bearings as opposed to the classic's 1.
Once again,thanx for your opinions / feedback,the new one's awaiting a break in the weather for a test run!
Until next time...

cHiCo
21-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Hey fellas,
I recently bought a Abu 6500C3. havent really used it yet. my dad put 6kg mono on it, but i want to change it to braid. not sure if i should chuck on 20lb or 30lb. im up in cairns so normally targetting Barra, Jacks, Fingermark. But then out on the reef its mackeral and trevally. Would like some advice on what i should put on.