PDA

View Full Version : Mono or Braid????

cHiCo
23-06-2002, 10:32 AM
Mono or Braid is a very frequently asked question these days. Of course braid gives better catch results and less tackle loss but is it really fair for the fish. Mono is more for the fisherman who wants some fun and action in his catch. But some people say once you go to braid you will never turn back. Anyway please speak up on your thoughts.
cHiCo

Scottie
23-06-2002, 11:57 AM
Hi cHiCo, I'm not so sure about braid having better catch results. As a matter of fact I've had it break on me when casting 1 ounce spoons. The reason is because braids don't stretch, so there is very little if any shock absorption. When I use a braid I always set my drag a little on the loose side and I use a co-polymer leader for shock absorption. I recently tried a new super polymer line from Berkley called Iron Silk. I think it just might be the finest line I've ever used. Virtually no memory, super abrasion resistant, has some stretch for shock absorption, and is literally as smooth as silk and handles beautifully. It's a 2003 product and has only been available from a few select dealers here in the states. Keep your eyes peeled for it and give it a try if it ever hits the dealers shelves in your neck of the woods. So far I'm extremely impressed by it, much more so than any braid I've ever used. I also like P-Line co-polymer.

Scottie, Chicago, Illinois

Jason_L
23-06-2002, 05:42 PM
Personally, i've never used braid. one reason being, it's just too damn expensive.

But i probably wouldn't go there from past experiences i've seen with braid. We were fishing one day, and the guy with us on the boat lost a lure because the knot slipped.

I like mono because of the stretch, you have time to act if you realise the drag is set too tight and the fish just keeps pulling.

Steve_Ooi
23-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Both braid and mono can be sporting when fished within their line class, and at the same time both can be overkills when fished too heavy.
One of the advantage I like about braided lines is the limited amount of stretch, which translates into every strike, take, pulse or thump of the tail being transmitted down the line, this in turn helps me understand what happening at the other end.
Both mono and braid have good points and bad points, just as there is also some poor braids and some poor monos on the market.
Instead of comparing braids against monos, I like to think of them being two different material suited to different styles of fishing.
Although either material can be use for a wide range varieties of uses I find it better to determine which of the two (braid or mono), suits the type of fishing I’m doing, and then buy a quality product that suit it.
As either system is only as good as the tackle it’s used on, the quality of the line material and the knots tied.

Poony

Maxg
24-06-2002, 12:20 AM
The down side of GsP is pretty long while the bright side is basically diameter and stretch.
The fact is that GsP is a very high modulus fibre, and absolutely hates knots of any description, it hates sharp edges and has an abrasion resistance that is critically related to diameter.
It is also very slippery, is hydrophobic and tends to slip between layers on spools.
Because of the low abrasion resistance you have to go up in b/s to get a useful diameter and a reasonable abrasion resistance. Where you might use 6/8/10 mono you would probably fit 30 GsP.
Then there is the knot strength which is awful really, generally 80% or so.
There are probably special knots that better 90% but you usually need to be a double jointed acrobat to tie the things.
These things tend to overload tackle, like running 30lb low stretch on a 12lb baitcaster can cause tackle busts if you are heavy handed, particularly with graphite.
There are advantages, like the low stretch gives you instant feel but you can pull hooks out of the fishes mnouth by reacting to quickle.
Mostly you have to look at what the stuff is, and try to decide how it will suit your fishing.
Very light GsP braids are very very fragile, and fracture if you blow on them. Not good.
Max

dazza
24-06-2002, 03:42 AM
I agree with Steve. Personally I think it depends on what type of fishing you are doing. I mainly cast lures and do a bit of trolling. The no stretch and of the braid is great for that type of fishing and I can feel every bump,snag,wiggle of the lure.
I don't know about it improving catch rates. When I first started using it I was dropping alot of fish. I think that is because I was not used to the no stretch. Now I don't have a problem.
I have not had a problem with knots.
I tie a 25-30 turn bimini twist (never had one slip, dunno why you would do a 50 or so turn) then a KD leader or a "Braid leader knot" (see Geoff Wilsons fishing knots and rigs) with 40 lb leader.
I have 30lb braid on all of my gear now and doubt if I will go back to using mono for my type of fishing
Cheers
Dazza

cHiCo
25-06-2002, 07:27 AM
G`day fellas,
Well there are alot of different points to consider with mono and braid. But i think i might make the change because of the fishing i do (Lure casting, Trolling etc.)But will still gear up a spinning rod with mono. Thanks for the advice fellas.
cHiCo

fisho
25-06-2002, 12:49 PM
My mates and I have constant 'friendly' arguments over this. #Both have their advantages, but try fishing mono and braid in one boat in 70 metres of water - the inevitable result is tangles until you get the weight right (if the current stays constant) #- braid (being less diameter) kills all mono it wraps around. #I do a fair bit of gamefish trolling and I will only use mono for this however I do prefer braid in the really deep bottom bashing scenerios. #Like I said 'horses for courses'. but give me a choice of one or the other and I'll go mono. ;)

Maxg
30-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Anyone who ties a 30/40 twist bimini in GsP and reckons it's great, is, pardon me, kidding. If you tie a 30/40 twist bimini in braid and hang the loop over a hook and pull on it you can slide the knot up and down the line very easily. To get it to stop sliding under stress you need to use 70 twists minimum. And if you terminate the loop you need to be prety good to get both legs even otherwise you have a single leg double, thats because of the stretch being so low.
Using 30lb on light outfits negates a lot of problems because you never get to put any stress onthe system.
The inventors DSM HPF in Holland claim a best knot strength under practical conditions of 80% and they know whats what.
The best connection method is spliced loops, they are 100% and if you fit a roll on leader to that loop you get a great system.
I have spent 3 odd years testing GsP braids and even the very best knots never get to the point where you can rely on them, unless you put a drop of super glue on them. Just a uni knot and a drop of glue is 100%. try it. Max

Jack_Lives_Here
02-07-2002, 08:36 AM
I'm of the same opinion as Steve and Dazza. Both have there applications. For me I spool 30lb braid on my baitcaster for chasing jacks and critters in the sticks. Can't beat that no stretch to get the head turned. Looking forward to giving the KD's a run in Sept.
I fish mono on a couple of spin rods but am going to experiment with 30lb braid on one of these also.
Guys I use a 40 turn bimini also on my BB but use 70 turn for the Berkley Whiplash. The whiplash is a much more slippery and doesn't hold well with anything less.