PDA

View Full Version : yanks love an accessory

landy1
14-08-2002, 04:09 PM
;D
g'day all
just been flicking through a cattle dog i get from an outdoors equipment mob in good ole america. geeze they go in for some utter crap over there. a selection of the latest gadgets. infra red night vision underwater cameras, so you can see the fish under the boat. new style rods that dont use any guides, the line enters the hollow of the rod just above the grip and comes out at the tip. additives to add to your worm pit dirt to make the bait supply you grow at home glow in the dark. and last but not least, dirty great line counters attached to the side of overhead reals so you can know when your trolled bait is at the optimum depth. whats next, tactical nuclear fish imobilising systems? ???
makes me think of a conversation i had with Craigie about jew fishing. we all spend a fortune chasing that one special fish, but its always caught by a five year old using a coke bottle as a hand real on the local jetty. guess we arnt that much better, the yanks have just had more experience :-[
cheers

Simonh
14-08-2002, 05:50 PM
Hi Landy1!,

Sorry to say some of us from the UK go for silly ideas also - try these.
An alarm that beeps when a fish pulls line thro a rod rest and they have remote sensors so when you are asleep in your tent or having a beer 200 yards down the bank a buzzer in your pocket beeps $180, bobbins with electic lights that flash when you have a bite at night $100, 2 foot long remote control boats to carry bait and hook out $300, etc etc fishing reels for big lakes to cast 200 yards! $250. And many of the guys here have 3 rods 3 alarms & 3 of every thing and they all have to be the same colour and model , $6000 not uncommon for one guy to spend on rods and reels and tents , let alone other kit , geezzz knows why? ??? :-X

I get kit , and use sensibly and confidently.

Simonh

Finnie
14-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Yup, I had a look through the same catalogue. I was especially impressed by the worms they were selling that smell like fish.........kinda made me wonder why you wouldn't use fish and save yourself the trouble??? Then again, they were bright green and were a pretty good imitation of a.....ummmmmm, well, a bright green fishy smelling worm actually.

Curioser and curioser!!

Cheers,
Finnie

Scottie
15-08-2002, 04:19 AM
landy1, I hear ya man. As a yank I can't believe how much crap is out there. My motto is Keep It Simple Stupid. I've caught my best fish on the simplest of rigs, like a piece of night crawler on a small jig, or a live minnow or plastic bait on a small bait hook with some split shot just above. Yep, there's a sucker born every minute, and I must admit I've become a sucker for Alvey reels, which fit right in with my KISS motto.
I think........But, if you think we go for gadgets, you ought to check out a japanese fishing cattle dog. That's where those guideless rods originated and a million other things. Cheers,

Scottie, Chicago, Illinois

bugman
15-08-2002, 05:02 AM
I'd agree with Simon on this one. The Brits are bloody crazy or stupid or something.

I went to a fishing competition down at Cornwall on the coast just to see how it's down. There's no beach but just hand-sized round stones.

Anyway they all sit along the beach about 5 metres apart. They have these bloody great long rods which are set up on tripods. Their rigs are patternoster with massive great sinkers with wires attached to act like anchors.

They have everything that open and shuts - tackle boxes the size of a wardrobe - despite the fact they don't use any of it.

And they all sit in these tent like things. Camouflage versions of our little sun beach shelters.

They sit there sitting soup out of a thermos.

Every 20 minutes they walk over to their rod and wind it in then throw it back out again - but here's the catcher.

I chatted with one fella - it was his fifth year at the event.

He caught one fish in his first year and one in his third - THAT'S IT. He was hopeful of another when I was there.

Oh and the two years he caught a fish he won a prize because it was the only fish caught in that category.

God save America, God bless England, God defend New Zealand but THANK CHRIST FOR AUSTRALIA. (Sorry Russell)

Bugman

Simonh
15-08-2002, 03:11 PM
Check this site out - it's from one of the main suppliers of carp fishing equipment in the UK - most carp fishermen have £1000+ of this kit ( 3 of everything mind ).

Most kit a waste of money , a few bits are good ideas though, Carp are treated as gods here ( strange eh? )

Simonh

Fisherman02
15-08-2002, 03:28 PM
mate your forgot to leave the site with us ;D ;D
cheers jack

landy1
15-08-2002, 03:29 PM
g'day Simon
have you heard of our carpbuster comps. they are a pest here and we have comps to catch and kill as many as possible. truckloads of these fish are caught and hauled of to become fertaliser. i can understand the fish bite alarms you mentioned. isnt it because the only way poms can fish in your horrible weather is to sit it out in the local pub until a bite happens. ;)
cheers

Simonh
15-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Sorry bout that.

try this

http://www.foxint.com/catalogue-sections.php?catalogue=fox

Simonh

Simonh
15-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Landy1

You say you kill loads of carp - it upsets me.
BUT if you kill loads then more grow to fill thier place. Maybe we should remove some of the old monsters and gets new ones growing and more of em.
I guess the only reason we poms fish for em' is that thier the biggest and best fighters we have here.

20 years ago only a few people ever bothered with them.

Simonh

landy1
15-08-2002, 04:04 PM
g'day Simon
check this out
www.carpbusters.com.au/about.html

they take over our rivers and kill of all the native species. not to say that they arent good to catch. just we prefer yellowbelly, bass and the holy grail big nasty cod.
well have to swap, you can have all our carp if i can have all your landrovers ;D
cheers

Simonh
15-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Got me thinking this then.

How do carp kill other fish? I guess - eat em' out of house and home, makes sense really. No problems there.

Is there a site or other where I can find out about your favorite fish, It seems UK has about 10 common species and Au has about 50 and all have "strange" names to me.

Thanks
Simonh

landy1
15-08-2002, 05:06 PM
g'day Simon
ill leave this one open to the other users as i am hopeless with computers generally. i will look around though. my personal favourites would be in no particular order. flathead, bass, snapper, barramundi, threadfin salmon, tarpon, mangrove jack etc. to many to list. and yep we are definately spoilt for species down here. especially when you compare us on a global scene. i am heading down to tasmania late enxt week so i will ahve to try some trout fishing, using my saltwater fly gear though ;D
cheers

landy1
15-08-2002, 09:10 PM
g'day Simon
yep Australias got a lot of variety. in the salt scene you have three main variations. Northern Australia with big fast aggresive species (barra, giant trevally, queenfish, threadfin salmon mangrove jacks, fingermark etc). middle Australia (around my area) (Brisbane) with smaller generic species but an interesting mix of Northern and Southern. and Southern stuff more along the lines of monster snapper and tuna. in the fresh its different again. Southern Australia known for its wild trout and cod, while the middle area has some fantastic impoundment bass and Northern for the allmighty barramundi again. thers a lot of fantastic fishing on offer, the best part is the lack of human/fish interaction in a lot of areas. an example of the variety is that i am travelling to Tasmania soon and i have no idea what i am in for as its a totally different scene from anything i have experienced.
what are things like in the land of our ancestors?
cheers

Finnie
15-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Hi Simonh,

Try this part of the NSW Fisheries site out that has a little info and pictures of the commonly sought angling species in NSW.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreational/freshwater/bag_fres.htm

Just a quick question, do the poms eat the carp they catch? I know some of the European nationalities eat them, but apart from hearing about them being ground into fish cakes, I'm yet to here of an Australian cooking one up and eating it. Buuuuut, I guess if it comes down to a good feed of yellowbelly and eating a bony old carp, I know which one I'd go!

Cheers,
Finnie

Simonh
15-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Finnie,

Thanks for the URL - some big fish there then, probably a bit more interesting than the carp eh!.

No Carp are not eaten here, they are treated as gods, taken out of the water with special knottless landing nets after hooked, unhooked on inflateable unhooking mats so they are not damaged, and many of the big one have names like - no pelvics, orange, petals, raspberry, clarissa. Funny old world eh.

Thanks again for the info on Au fish.
I talk about Au like it's the same all over like UK but I am getting the fell that it's like different countires - heat , mountains etc

Simonh

Simonh
15-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Finnie,

Thanks for the URL - some big fish there then, probably a bit more interesting than the carp eh!.

No Carp are not eaten here, they are treated as gods, taken out of the water with special knottless landing nets after hooked, unhooked on inflateable unhooking mats so they are not damaged, and many of the big one have names like - no pelvics, orange, petals, raspberry, clarissa. Funny old world eh.

Thanks again for the info on Au fish.
I talk about Au like it's the same all over like UK but I am getting the feel that it's like different countires - heat , mountains etc

Simonh

Simonh
15-08-2002, 09:57 PM
Landy1 thenks for the interest,
http://www.fisheries.co.uk/mallory/

http://www.go-fish.co.uk/venue_2759.htm

http://www.craig.banks.btinternet.co.uk/Fisheries.htm

If I can generalise, Most of the lakes are man made even if 100 years ago for the oldest, they do have trees and stuff around, Can be £3 per day or £500+ for a year, normally stocked from fisheries meaning rarley are "wild" fish cought.

Rivers are rivers , about 40 feet wide on average to half a mile wide the Thames in London. Many old gravel works are filled with fish . It's a very commercial feel over all.

I think cos' most of the fish are caught many times - we have to try much harder to catch them , they become shy to say the least.

I searched the web for a " scrubby creek - Brisbane ish " I think, I expected a 4 foot wide water like here in UK - it turnes out to be a wild river.

If you want some pictures then let me know.

"WE" call many of the lakes "holes in the ground" see craig banks site and look at nanpantan res.

Hope this helps
Simon

PS
You guys may have to drive further by hundreds of miles but you are very lucky, Apart from Rex Hunt " what a mad man" !!! ;D ;D

Simonh
15-08-2002, 10:05 PM
Also Landy1

The lakes there seem HUGE ! http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm37.gif

The average here is the size of a few football pitches , A big lake is about 10 acres.

Yours look like from pictures the size of some of our towns or villages ie 50 acres plus. Very scary to think about fishing a lake that size. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm45.gif

Simon

LYNDO
16-08-2002, 08:07 AM
G'day simon

Ref: Your question how do carp kill other fish?

They're very invasive species and successful because they're hardy and adaptable, & can tolerate low oxygen levels and high salinities! preffering warm/still waters with silt bottoms.

They feed by sucking up mud and plants from the bottom and blowing out what they don't what! >:(This feeding behaviour (roiling) muddies the water and can uproot aquatic vegetation. :'(Less light can penetrate muddy water resulting in reduced plant matter and oxygen levels.

While carp are'nt predators, it's possible tahey eat the eggs and disturb the laying sites of OUR native fish species.

Hope this helps Cheers Lyndo

Simonh
16-08-2002, 02:25 PM
Lyndo

I have to say you correct and right on all counts, I know carp do feed off reed stems which i know snails at least and fairly sure other fish lay thier eggz.

In the 1970's here everyone seemed to fish for bream and tench and now during winters alot fish for pike and pike perch, so i do think uk fishermen are very fond of fashion and fads, soon as a new bite indicator goes on the market then the " tackle tarts" pootle off and buy them , selling thier old ( 12 months old ) kit including reels - shimano etc on forums , nice for people who want kit but not pay high prices.

i am sure carp fashion will pass here in a few years, i mean you spend £2k on kit catch all or most of the biggest fish in the uk and nearby countries and - what do you fish for next ? , i here some go onto model car racing or golf or pilot licences etc.

Where abouts do you fish Lyndo , like to get a view of what i am missing out on. :-/

Simonh

LYNDO
16-08-2002, 09:10 PM
G'day Simon

:oI can't get over the $$$ use guys fork out to catch carp ::)

Considering here in Queensland Australia we can be fined up to $150,000 if caught in possesion of them alive or dead*

;DWe fish the Canungra creek(which ends up running into the Logan river eventually)for carp during the annual carp busters weekend.

>:(At the moment we are in a bad drought period and you can ;)just about kick them out of the bloody pools in the Canungra creek :'(

Cheers Lyndo

* The Fisheries Act 1994 was under review and I think it has been recommended that it no longer be unlawful to posses dead carp.
:-/Not certain but