PDA

View Full Version : L.C.D screens....is it just me?

banshee
27-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Over the last seven years I have had ten screens go bad,three hummin bird wide view and seven lowrance.The humminbirds all bled blue and foged over twelve months,they were replaced for a modest fee.The lowrances were a mix of x-85 and global map sport,they have been replaced free of charge over the last six years,they just foged up.What am I doing wrong?I use them offshore and they cop a bit of spray.Dose anyone else suffer this problem?...banshee

adrian
28-08-2002, 02:03 PM
hi
my sounder copes the same treatment and i give it a wipe with a dry towel or rag as soon as posssible . it also get wet when the boat get a washdown so again wipe it down asap or maybe a bag over it when the going ghets rough

Anzac

banshee
28-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Anzac.I try to keep on top of the water with a towel,but I have a notion about heavy pre-dawn dew and use of the light.Warm on the inside cold on the outside,dose that work for or against condensation inside the box?

mick
29-08-2002, 09:48 AM
is your sounder exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods of time?

if so get a cover.

otherwise the air inside the sounder is warmer than the air outside, hence the condensation.

banshee
29-08-2002, 04:40 PM
G'day Mick thanks for your reply.My units are under a targa but are only shaded around noon.I've contacted lowrance but they don't do covers,have tried A nappy ...bit of a pain when It's breezy or wet.Any ideas for a x-85? The blokes at lowrance have been great,even replaced a unit out of warranty(just),but I got to be wearing prety thin with them.

mick
30-08-2002, 11:24 AM
if your just going out for the day, they should be right uncovered. when not in use get a windscreen shade thing-o-me-bob ($10 from super cheat auto) and cut it to the shape below with

A being the width of your sounder
B being the height
C being the depth

fold along the dotted lines and glue the tabs inplace.

this will keep the sun off it and should stop condensation from building up inside.

good luck

mick

banshee
01-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanks Mick good idea, cheap to,got to be worth a go.

reel_screamer
06-01-2003, 04:01 PM
the problem with LCD sounders are that they only exist in the cheaper models, put up with the problems or put out of your pocket, you are fishing offshore, to really see what going on down there and have a better degree of reliabilaty part with thousands instead of hundreds.
Cheers real screamer

clutter
06-01-2003, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't say an X85 is a cheap sounder and I have found them to be very good when outside fishing. I think it comes down to knowing how to use them to get the best out of them.
Clutter.

smerl
07-01-2003, 12:41 PM
I agree, an X85 is a top sounder. Unless you are running a charter or fishing for a living I don't think it's worth buying anything more expensive.

I also agree that the temperature difference is your problem. I have an X85 which is mounted under the canopy all day and I don't usually have any problems, but a couple of weeks ago I went out without the canopy (had it off for a few repairs and couldn't be bothered putting it back on before getting out there - bad idea, much sunburn). On that day I noticed a small patch of condensation at the top of the screen. The condesation cleared with no ill effects and it hasn't happened again since th canopy has been re-fitted.

I like the idea with the sunshade from Super Cheap!

Cheers

Simon

NQCairns
10-01-2003, 09:57 AM
I thought these sounders were filled with an inert gas at the factory and sealed, hence no water vapor can exist inside unless there is a fault, any water vapor inside means corrosion on circuits and premature failure?. Mayby I am wrong but I am sure my Lorance book says so (if I could find it) about the gas anyway. regards nqcairns.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-01-2003, 10:53 AM
I've got a Lowrance x91 in the Nomad & never had a problem with condenstaion. It is an open boat, the sounder gets full sun & some splash.

HOWEVER ...

my old sounder in my little tinny was an Eagle & I got condensation twice.

Once when I was prawning in heavy rain & pushing buttons while water was sheeting on the face of the sounder.

The other time I accidently hit it with the stream from the hose ???.

Both times I fixed the problem by putting the sounder on top of our tin garden shed roof on a bright sunny day for several hours. It was a last ditch move but worked & the sounder never suffered for it.

I am much more careful with this new unit (cost $$$). I do not push butttons if its wet without wiping down & always have the face cover on when hosing the boat down.

perhaps condensation isn't in the LCD as such but in a cavity between the true LCD screen & a cover screen on the face of the unit - I've got no idea how they are constructed mind you.

chris

reel_screamer
01-02-2003, 03:43 PM
I've since noticed from other posting that Bansee has taken my advise and parted with thousands and now understands what I mean. The definition in even shallow water (20 to 50 m) is not even comparable.
I have a FEG-880, 8 inch 600 watt CRT sounder (quite good) but still go fishing with friend every few months with his 2KW Furno just to remind me how much of a toy mine really is.
As for getting moisture inside, I agree if they are filled with gas and moisture got in where would the gas have gone. (maybe the seals as stuffed). The working range of a Lowrance is upto 55 degrees a little lower than a tin shed roof on a sunny day.
Cheers reel screamer

banshee
01-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Yes Reel_screamer I am enlightend, both in the pocket as well as the mind.While my new unit is infinitely superior to my X 85, it still has an L.C.D. screen, and this being the case I can not let your initial comment regarding this technology go unchallenged. It may surprise/distress you to know that C.R.T. screens are going the way of the Dodo,soon all sounders will sport either L.C.D. or some form of plasma screen. Food for thought.

argonautical
01-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi all

I have a GPS and a sounder in my open tinny..... and I do mean open.

I had Able Marine Trimming at Manly custom make covers with clear front panels for my units and to date no problems. Units are operated with covers on. I hose the covers down (while in place) at the same time as hosing down the boat, and that is it for maintenance.

Argo

Big_Kev
02-02-2003, 02:30 AM
If you have a Targa top it may be possible to mount the screen over head to the top .
Just a thought,it may have been overlooked .
And the lowrance sounders are assembled with a positive pressure of a gas in the factory.As are most others I would think.So if the main case is opened or the screw at the back is removed its goodbye gas charge and hello condensation .
I would also think that if left in the direct sun may have an effect on this as well.
Regards Kev

banshee
02-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Kev,the gas problem was explained to me by an independent source this way,he claims the units are moved by air in the cargo bay,on decompression the gas forces it's way out.I am scepticle of this,I believe they would be shiped over in a container, I think the units just strugle with aussie conditions.

reel_screamer
02-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Banshee, I did get side tracked from you original question but helped with your dissicion. I do agree 6inch and 8inch CRT are allready finished, as far as 10inch and bigger they will be around for a while yet as they are only a TV screen on there side.
My initial comment about spending money on a sounder didn't say to buy CRT but buy a good sounder. A CRT in a 3m to 7m boat could have more problems then and CRT. (I run a big risk with mine)
I also have a Furno LCD it is exposed to all the weather as well as being hosed down with the boat. The unit is about 5 years old and never had a problem, unlike my prior model a Garmin regased twice replaced once.(and I nurse it) I know people who have had far trouble with Humminbirds and Lowrance.
When your new Furno reaches 5 years plus old trouble free you'll agree you didn't pay for just power ,colour and name but quality.
I also have heard of the decompression theory, but if so do they only fly out the lower priced units?