PDA

View Full Version : Graphite rod advise

Tally
17-05-2003, 07:55 AM
G'day,

I am looking at purchasing a graphite bait caster rod and need some advise as to what to look for (apart from good fuji runners). I most probably will be running 30lbs braid and targeting barra, sooty, etc. If anyone has any other types of rods that are good for these purposes I would appreciate your input also.

Thanks,
Jay.

Wesley_Pang
17-05-2003, 08:07 AM
Jay,

Have a look at the Loomis 665 in either GL2 or GL3 graphites.

This is the rod recommended to me for chasing Barra.

I've not used it for Barra though, just Longtail and Mac Tunas.

I run 30lb Braid on it.

Wes

big_george
17-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Good call wes[brother of little george]
I have used the loomis 665 on the impoundment and river barra as well as other breeds of fish.Use mine to fish for cod,yella's,flathead,jew.Have also landed some nice 8-10 kg yellow fin tuna and mac's.Don't think because its classed as casting rod you can't troll or use it baiting ect.Look at the site that swano posted on the faust barra.All but one landed on loomis 665.[GL2_GL3]One [25kg] on the loomis 765 crankbait.
cheers big george.

Basil
17-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Hello Jay
If you don't have the budget for a Loomis then I highly recommend the new Diawa Procaster-V IM7 graphite rods. The rod comes with Fuji Alconite guides and Fuji reel seat with cork handles. It would set you back around $160 but it looks and performs like a loomis.
Basil ;)

Tally
20-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the advise fellas,

What is the difference between the Daiwa and Loomis rods apart from the price? Basil, what is the maximum line class rating on the Daiwa Pro caster-VIM7? If I go to Faust later this year to chase the big fat (55lbs+) ladies I might need to run 50lb braid, will the daiwa handle it?

Thanks,
Jay.

big_george
20-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Jay.
The loomis 665 is rated for 8-10 kg.It has a fast taper.I fish 20 pound fireline that breaks at over 40 pound.Started using 45 pound leaders.Now use 70 pound schnieder.Some fisho's will say 70 to big.Wait till you get a big girl on in the timber,if you get wraped around timber that extra diamiter might make all the difference between landing that once in a life time fish and loosing it.I fish my tackle to the hilt.Chronarch. with the drag done up as far as it will go ,appling thumb pressure if i need more.Approx 2kg with the drag and 5 kgs with the added pressure of the thumb.With that much drag pressure you point the rod at6 the fish with upward pressure.NO HIGH STICKING.unless you want your rod blown into fragments,The rods i build [665] have good quality corkgrips.8 guilds plus tip[oversize] to allow your leader knotts to pass the guilds easly .
cheers george

Tally
20-05-2003, 12:44 PM
G'Day George,

There are soooo bloody many rods out there and every salesperson you talk to reckons their product is the best (I understand thats their job), but you don't know who to believe. So far I have looked at

Daiwa Procater (X and Z series around $160)
GLoomis Rods (starting from $479)
Wilson Live Fibre (around $200)
Angler Braid Buster (around $160)
Strudwick (SPS series $290, BWS series $330, TPS series $420)

My favourite so far is the wilson rod because for the price it has silicone on the guides even though they are not fuji guides. The Strudwick SPS series is not bad either. As you can see there is a big price difference between the Loomis and Wilson rods, so I have to justify the $300 difference.

A couple of salespeople who sold Loomis rods reckon they are overated and overpriced. They said Loomis are very good rods but not that much better than others on the market. They also told me not to buy factory built Loomis rods but buy a locally made rod that uses Loomis blanks and fuji guides.

Still confused.
Cheers,
Jay.

big_george
20-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Jay.
Like you say,every one with different ideas.Confusing :o
I've fished faust and know what's expected of tackle.When new rods or blanks come out i try them.Thus far nothing in my experience comes up to the Loomis 665 for sheer preformance.That may piss a lot of anglers off with a statement like that.I've landed big fish in the timber of faust,granted luck does play a role in your capture.Have a look at barra dreaming by swano in the freshwater photo's and look on the DK lures faust #site.. We landed over 50 barra in our 7 days of fishing.Some mornings we only stayed on the water for #2-3 hours due to the wind and some days we fished the salt because of the wind.On the last day we landed 18 barra .Some in front of rod harrison and lidsay dobe the guild from prossy.I build a #LOOMIS GL 2 665 for $320 completed.In that price i use top cork and guilds and freight them any where in Australia.
Hope thats not to confusing.
cheers big george

krazyfisher
20-05-2003, 02:37 PM
I use a loomis 644 for barra and sooties and have found it to be great I also have a strudwick batcaster in 10-12kg both have been great and I know the money is alot but after having the cheaper rod I would not go back the loomis and strudwick are just plain nicer to use

Fisherman02
20-05-2003, 03:15 PM
also the other good thing about a loomis is it has a special warranty, if you break it either by a fish or by standing on it u pay 70 bucks (or something like that) and u get a new rod. U can break it in front of the managers face and give him 70 bucks and get a new one!
cheers jack

caveman
20-05-2003, 03:48 PM
for $70 and a bit more you can get an ugly stick lol

Basil
20-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Jay
Re: Procater-V
The 7 footer is 8 - 17lb, good for in and out of the boat. Very high module graphite and much improved IM7. The tip is a bit more flexible at than a Loomis but has a good fast tapered bend on it. The alconite guides really suites it too. Compared to what's out there, I find good value in the rod and I'm no salesman.
Regards - Basil

big_george
21-05-2003, 04:04 AM
Hi Basil.
Have you ever fished in the timber of Faust Dam.?? :oI kn ow the blank/rod your talking about.They're great in the right location.Not faust.The lenght of 7 foot is a dissadvantage. :(The tip being softer allows the bigger fish to get their heads down and have you disadvantaged as well. :oCan't argue with the price. ;)The rod makes a good heavy plastic's rod.I wasn't paid by Loomis to say any of the above ;D
cheers george

Basil
21-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Ok the rod may be too long, the shorter version is only 5 - 10lb. The rod is definately no shoftie, when fully loaded it would match the Loomis. If you can afford a Loomis ...you can afford a Saltiga.
Basil

Tally
27-05-2003, 12:12 PM
What do you blokes reckon about the PNG Black Bass rods at $219 they have a 20kg rating. I know they are heavy, but good value.

Big George no offence but I would not buy a rod without looking at it and holding it. GL2 Loomis rods can be bought from $275.

Also would like opinions on Pacific Composite Blanks and Gary Howard custom rods.

Cheers,
Jay.

krazyfisher
27-05-2003, 12:17 PM
tally
I have a gary howard rod it is a 644 loomis blank I think the only differance is it is underbound and overbound I could be wrong but it has been a great rod

mackmauler
28-05-2003, 09:30 AM
What do you blokes reckon about the PNG Black Bass rods at $219 they have a 20kg rating. I know they are heavy, but good value.

Jay.

I have one and have caught just about everything that swims on it, It is to light to redline 20kg but still a brute stick when it comes to baitcasting, the tip is a bit stiff to cast lighter lures with any accuracy but a 6inch barra lure should be fine.

desertfisher
31-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Loomis's $70 replacement warranty would seem to indicate to me that the rod is actually worth $70. The rest of the price is paying for the name. After all,, the manufacturer is not going to want to lose money on the deal,,is he? Sorry but I get a bit sceptical of high priced equipment,,,after all, when a rod/reel package costs $1000 to $1500 or more,,that is not a hobby or a sport,,it's an OBSESSION.
When Shimano try and tell me that a poxy egg beater reel is actually worth $1300,,,,,excuse me if I say BULLSHIT! :-X :-X :o

krazyfisher
01-06-2003, 03:07 AM
and whats wrong with an obsession ;D

Wesley_Pang
01-06-2003, 04:14 AM
Krazyfisher(with a name like that, you must be a bit strange),

Yes, saltwater flyfishing is my obsession!!!

I guess that's why I try not to worry about the cost of my gear. I buy gear I want, not because I need it.

I've learnt to buy the best I can afford, rather than get some compromise. I use the gear I compromised with, and am not satisfied, and end up getting what I really wanted anyway. It's more expensive in the long run.

I save a few dollars by buying a lot of my gear 2nd hand. You have to be patient and keep your ear to the ground, but great gear can be had for 1/3 or 1/2 off the retail price. Good gear 2nd hand, is usually in great shape, just like new most times.

"Life's short, fish HARD"

Wes

desertfisher
01-06-2003, 06:03 AM
Big George,,,,,put your glasses on,,I didn't bag Loomis' product, only their price. I see there were no logical arguments re my warranty theory, so maybe I have something there? Also no comment on the Shimano price? Please don't assume me a dunce or a ###### george, you would be very wrong. I too appreciate the value of quality, however,,there comes a point where price is no longer relative to the quality,, I refer that mainly to the Shimano egg beater. My intention here is not to anger..only promote a discussion on our various opinions. Opinions are like bums,,,,everyone has one.
To me,, anyone who pays $1300 for an egg beater,,is looking for the "Wank Factor",,,,The self proclaimed "king of the jetty" , you've met them in all walks of life,, the bore who can talk of little else except him and his posessions.My point is,, what can a $1300 reel do that say, a $150 to $200 reel can't? If it's life expectancy, surely it would be better to replace your $200 reel 6 times, at least it would look newer. ;D

team_mongo
01-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Hmmmm, cant resist...

My 2 cents..

My point is,, what can a $1300 reel do that say, a $150 to $200 reel can't? If it's life expectancy, surely it would be better to replace your $200 reel 6 times, at least it would look newer. ;D

Easy...
1. Knock over 15-20Kg Longtails in 5 minutes :D.
2. Jigg 50lb Amberjack to the boat in 5 minutes ;D.
3. Catch 50kg Dogtooth tuna in 300m of water
4. Subdue 50lb GT's in under 10 minutes..
5 ...

The list goes on.

http://www.westernangler.com.au/htdocs/dcforum/User_files/3ed0b74f104ca561.html

Sure you wouldnt try this with a $200-300 reel, its not possible. And if you did, it wouldnt even last one fish. Once you get above 8-10kg (even above 5kg) of drag, not may threadlines are going to survive. So these reels arent suppose to compete with lower priced reels, they serve a completely different function.

George

krazyfisher
01-06-2003, 09:42 AM
the way I see it the better gear is just so much nicer to use and if you have the money why not. The last thing that worries me is the price of good gear, it lasts longer, works better but no good having the best gear and not being able to afford to go fishing

as for you wes you are most likely right ;D

desertfisher
01-06-2003, 02:19 PM
OK fellas,,,most of your points I agree with,, however I still believe there is there is a line to be drawn between good quality equipment and overpriced equipment. I am a motor mechanic by trade,, so i know the difference between the quality of , say , Sidchrome tools versus Chinese rubbish from a $2 shop. However,, I also know when I am being bent over when being asked to pay exhorbitant prices for tools such as Snap-On. I'm just not convinced that the comparative difference in quality is worth the huge difference in price. After all,, how many ball bearings do you need in an egg beater? ;D ;D ;D

krazyfisher
01-06-2003, 03:42 PM
desertfisher
good point with tools they are very much alike maybe if you think about it this way snap on will replace any broken tool for life no matter if it was your fault that it was broken or not as with some of the better brands the extra price not only pays for quality but warranty. snap-on, SK, Gedore tools can only offer this because they charge more to start with and this is why people pay more for their gear so that they get good service believe me a tackle store and the supplier will look after you better when you have paid $600 for a baitcaster or $700 for a good spin reel even $300-600 for a rod than if you have a $60 combo. you also pay for the extra service you get as with snap-on they come to your door. It all depends on what you are using your gear for I would not spend over $60 for a whiting rod but have no problems spending $300-450 on a rod that has to cast 35mm lures right next to a snag and than pull out a 120cm+ barra ;D

desertfisher
02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks Krazyfisher,,,Hmmmm,,,120cm Barra,,,, do (try) this one day I must :o. Could I not catch said Barra on a $150 reel though? It may be be podantic but,,, Snap-On do not come to MY door ( because I choose to live in a less populated area ). Also do not Sidchrome offer an unconditional warranty? (snigger) ::) <yes I have been there.
Also,,,Loomis ask $70 to replace under their warranty,,,does that make it a CONDITIONAL warranty? Or a profitable warranty?
And what of Shimano's warranty?? Will they come to me when their product fails? I doubt it.

point taken.
thanks mate
Stan

ps: Nice strides George [smiley=laugh.gif]

Tally
03-06-2003, 06:45 AM
G'day,
Been away from the computer for the last 5 days, so I missed most of this disscussion.

Big George the $479 loomis rods were the crankbait seires with GL3 or better grade graphite with silicone guides that I was looking at, not the entry level range (GL2). It sounds like you did take offence to the fact that was not prepared to buy a rod sight unseen. I stand by that comment that I will never buy a rod without seeing it first espacially if I am spending $300+. The $275 GL2 is a cash price if I also buy a reel from that particular tackle shop. They knocked $120 off the price of the rod so you can imagine the makup. You claim to be not paid by loomis for endorsing their products but it's obvious that you have a vested interest in trying to sell their products.

Jay.

big_george
02-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Callin Harro

I must apologise for previous comments on you doubting my catch. I was informed incorrectly and have since gained more insight that in fact the information was incorrect. Apologise for not clarifying first.

Have a look in the salt water fish photo's at Al's fish, that you have seen before, on the Rod harrison Diawa Rod. It's not going to bad on points. You put it in Fish N Boat 13 years ago. So much water under the bridge. We asked your advice prior to the trip, now people are asking me...... ??? ???

Cheers
George

locky
12-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Mate, when looking for a good casting rod, you need to take a few things into consideration. Your style of fishing is probably the most important. if you are a heavy handed fisherman or take things a bit easy. the size of lures being used and type of country you intend to fish. Do not just look and one brand, go thru a whole range until you find something that you feel comfortable with and feels natural in your hand. If you cannot find a rod in the shops, then maybe you need to have one made to your specifications.

I think choosing a good rod is a personal thing and is something you need to look at all the options before parting with you hard earned cash.

Good luck

Cloud_9
07-10-2003, 01:43 PM
There is a tackle store on the north side of brisbane , not shore where .
but they sell a custom made called a braid buster 6/8 kg they run 30pound braid for jacks ive had a play with one they had 4kg's of drag on it. very nice rod not that costly from what i can remember.