Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Building of the new Riptide platey **it finally floats**

Re: Building of the new Riptide platey

pic1- looking at the bunk frame work which was made at the height of 200mm to allow for enough room under the padded bunks for storage. bunks are just over 2mtrs in length.

Pic2 taken from above looking down into bunk area- The large centre area in the bottom of the pic is for large storage items (even a dunny) which will be under the bunks whilst the space in front of that is the step down/walk in bunk area. Both of these areas will have a romoveable floor for easy access into the bottom of the hull if need be.

Pic1- Full sized Transom set up going together. The plates welded on the outer side of the bung area are to house the remarkably good Volvo QL trim tabs. Coming off the back of these plates is alloy tubing running from the plates inside the buoyancy chambers and up through the floor to ensure the chambers are 100% fully sealed to avoid any water entering if the Trim tabs leak or get smashed off. All that runs through the tubes off the QL Tabs is a small wiring loom.

Pic2- another transom pic.

Pic3- Planning strakes, keel and chines welded on.

Looking good keep em coming Greg

Cheers
    Kezza

Just back from Riptide Greg, the Cabin is on and she's lookin' good!!!

Love the extra length of the hard top for a bit more shade back there, and the seat boxes look very interesting with what looks like a hinged lid?

I do like your idea for the side pockets with a rounded profile to create an inner lip to stop stuff from flopping around or flipping out.

Coming along nicely mate

She'll be done and dusted in a couple of weeks...not long now!!!

Got a name sorted yet mate???? or do we have to wait?

Cheers

Rhys

Hi

Your thread is awesome and the boat fantastic. I am loving reading what all you guys are doing out there. I'm after a 5.5-6 metre platey myself and my head is spinning with all the options and the price ranges which start at expensive nd go to "out of this world". Do you have a buget and time frame for your fitout ?

Dave

Greg,
    I would not be going less then a 225 donk, suzy of course. I have a 175 on my 580 fisher dual series, under floor tank 200 litres, 2 crank batteries, 2 deep cycle agms for the minkota 24v and live/kill tanks. It performs brillantly, I would also recommend to get some QL trim tabs, I don't need them on my ship, I do. But it might help you trim better when cruising and conserve fuel as your talking more tonage loaded.
    pop_eye

Greg,

Looking great, very smick in deed. Hope you make the Fraser deadline and the weather gods are with you. Otherwise we'll have to come by sit in the back and fill that esky/kill box with beer and dream.

Tony

Greg,
    If you are worried about painting the Riptide, then don't do it. I picked up my 6400 Fisher last week & the aluminium colour looks great. It was acid washed & sanded. No sealers of any sort. No fairing or bog needed.
    I too am doing the electrical/electronics fitout but if you want to see what the bare alloy hull ( & there are not many around) comes up like,shoot me a PM.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Great boat Greg, it great to see after all this time of talking to you about the boat and your ideas for set out, are coming to fruition. This will be one of the best set out pure fishing boats on the water It might nearly even ride as good a f'glass boat

Cheers Troy.

Ps. Keep those photos coming.

Hey Rhys,
    I reckon the length in the hardtop should be good for shade but still allowing enough room to get well out of the way from it so it's not an obstruction. The top of the seat boxes are hinged with small compartments under them for a cooker, food, camera etc etc. The rest of the box on both sides will be for a hidden anchor box and tackle boxes etc. The side pockets were also raised a little which gives it a different look to standard aswell. A few weeks to go now

Saltboy,
    Your very right about the amount of options out there and how pricy it can get. I'm a little picky and just want to get this build right with a very well set up and I'm even waking up in the middle of the night with ideas and not sleeping very well at all. Bloody boats.
    Budget- Well think of a number and double it Timeframe- Really want it ready for the Fraser Island Comp in late may.

Popeye
    I'm leaning for the 225 at this stage as the boat will be fairly weighty. Mate I already have the Volvo QL Tabs to go on it which are a fantastic piece of equipment and should complement the boat. (pics above show the plates and tubbing arrangment for the QL tabs)

Tony
    It's gotta be ready for Fraser. It just has to be

Peter
    Good to see you have your boat mate I'm sure you will be happy with it. Thought about leaving it unpainted but It's just not gonna happen. Will no doubt regret it when the first sinker smacks the side but would much prefer a painted boat. Would be nice to see your boat and layout. Any chance of putting your pride and joy on here for all of us to see?

Troy
    Yes mate it's finally coming together and the layout within the boat is working out very well with just a few hurdles to finalise. Dave has done some flash things which just makes the boat all that much sweeter. The boat looks like it's gonna be heavy so it might ride like a glassy. (Is the Yalta up for a race out wide one day? )

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by Reefmaster; 05-02-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Hi Greg,

Boat is looking mighty fine

What is the predicted towing weight of the rig? and who's trailer did you end up going with? have you looked into the breakaway system your going to have??
    I am towing 2.7T around using a sensa break system which is a great system (so far) just hope I get some longevity out of it

Also do you know how far Greg P's boat is from finnish . I am fitting his engine
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Nice boat.

I'm currently in the market for similar style and have been looking at Riptide or Quintrex or Fisher.

How much does something like this cost from Riptide?

Quote Originally Posted by martinies View Post

I'm currently in the market for similar style and have been looking at Riptide or Quintrex or Fisher.
    G'day

Just to let you know, quintrex is what they call a pressed alloy boat, and put together with debatable quality control.

Riptide, Fisher and AMM for example are all in the same class, Very high quality plate boat produced by qualified highly skilled tradesmen.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Just to let you know, quintrex is what they call a pressed alloy boat, and put together with debatable quality control.

Riptide, Fisher and AMM for example are all in the same class, Very high quality plate boat produced by qualified highly skilled tradesmen.

Dave
    Thanks Dave. I've been researching the forum lately and begin to have second thoughts on quintrex. Looks like its a toss up between Riptide and Fisher, I want them made here

The Fisher boat in this thread looks very well made.

Greg rig is realy starting to take shape, guess there is a lot of sleepless nights between now and Frazer,I know painting plateys is not cheap but makes them look a million dollars. which to me is important perform excellent and look good doing it. Keep up the pics. Polky.