Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Just an observation I have made on Leader material from my limited experience.

My first 3 barra trips I have always used a single strand of Black Magic 80lb. I had never noticed scuffed leader with fish landed from first two trips to Awoonga and then hooked but missed fish at Monduran.

Last trip to Monduran I changed to Penn 10x 80lb and I started noticing scuffed leaders.

I thought I would do an experiment and but just needed to find something rough to simulate the barra. So I started with cutting thru my leaders against the edge of house bricks. I did 6 goes each on the Penn and Black Magic and against different house bricks. In all cases the Black Magic needed at least twice as many rubs against the house brick to cut through it.

I also just rubbed the leader against the edge of a house brick and each time the Penn seemed to scuff worse than the Black Magic.

I like the look, feel and packaging of the Penn better but I think I may be sticking to the Black Magic on my next barra trip. Maybe I subconsciously used more pressure on one than other. Please feel free to try this yourselves and come up with your own conclusions. - cheers Richard

Yes l too have found the Penn to be a bit softer... There is two types of magic now l have used both... They are better than the penn in my humble opion... For twisteds l use Nitline...But l have been trying another by Platypus....Platinum...Early days yet...Stay tuned

I just noticed that the 5" Hollow bellies are now available .......... I reckon this size will be awesome ( the 4" looses a bit of that wonderful roll ....... when rigged traditionally) ......... The 5" looks perfect
    Anyhow ...... I'm going to fish these bad boys on 7,8/O ? ( weighted worm hooks first chance I get ......... (lighter more buoyant presentation) ...... Toss it into those point weed edges & jiggle /roll them out -- - - now that will be a jellybean!

Bring on March

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

hi Chris got some of the 6 inch holow bellies .gunna rig them with 8/0 weighted hooks. All going well i should b at mondy this comming weekend . Plan 2 tie up and work some suitable points. Let all know how i go. cheers les

Bring some strong rope,if this cyclone comes down Oh n i wouldnt tie up to the termite tree..

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Just an observation I have made on Leader material from my limited experience.

My first 3 barra trips I have always used a single strand of Black Magic 80lb. I had never noticed scuffed leader with fish landed from first two trips to Awoonga and then hooked but missed fish at Monduran.

Last trip to Monduran I changed to Penn 10x 80lb and I started noticing scuffed leaders.

I thought I would do an experiment and but just needed to find something rough to simulate the barra. So I started with cutting thru my leaders against the edge of house bricks. I did 6 goes each on the Penn and Black Magic and against different house bricks. In all cases the Black Magic needed at least twice as many rubs against the house brick to cut through it.

I also just rubbed the leader against the edge of a house brick and each time the Penn seemed to scuff worse than the Black Magic.

I like the look, feel and packaging of the Penn better but I think I may be sticking to the Black Magic on my next barra trip. Maybe I subconsciously used more pressure on one than other. Please feel free to try this yourselves and come up with your own conclusions. - cheers Richard
    Richard,

couldnt agree more. I have changed a lot of things over the years barra fishing for various reasons to find the optimum gear for the job. My leader has never changed. always been Black magic...has never failed. I was given some penn 10x and had 2 bustoffs in 3 fish....back to 60lb black magic and all good again. Might have been a fluke....but I lost confidence instantly. Only thing I have changed is upgraded to 80lb black magic supple for plastics. and 60lb tough for HB's

cheers Steve

Chewy, if the termite tree goes, imagine what will happen to average catch rates?
    Never seen a spot host so many big fish consistantly.

Thats only because of the foamy water there from all the lures landing

Touche!
    With persistance comes results

Actually havent seen the bundy tackleworld boat there for a bit.Maybe they know something every1 else doesnt,that or they have released a particularly voracious breed of termite onto the tree. Need to put a few permanent moorings up there. Steve maybe you could get onto that for the visitors..

Old mate in his skeeter, stratos whatever tied up to it on Monday, no leccy to glide in on, so the young fella driving was crunching, and I mean crunching, the gears on the big yam to get in on the tree. He still lost a big fish, and boated a tugger, amazing stuff considering the noise he made in tieing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Richard,

couldnt agree more. I have changed a lot of things over the years barra fishing for various reasons to find the optimum gear for the job. My leader has never changed. always been Black magic...has never failed. I was given some penn 10x and had 2 bustoffs in 3 fish....back to 60lb black magic and all good again. Might have been a fluke....but I lost confidence instantly. Only thing I have changed is upgraded to 80lb black magic supple for plastics. and 60lb tough for HB's

cheers Steve
    Steve, I have been using Penn 10x for a while but am yet to tangle with any big girls. For some reason I only seem to attract the rats (12 or 13 years chasin barra in the fresh & my pb is still only 64cm ). The Penn seems fine with them so far but it's inevitible I will run into a big girl sooner or later (pref sooner ).I have noticed a bit of scuffing of late since I am getting more consistent with my catches, touch wood. Possibly due to use of SP's in lieu of HB's. Most fish are around 60cm with some hits from larger models using 30lb twisted leaders (to create 60lb) or 60lb straight.

I am a former user of Black Magic, never had any issues with it (I thought it was great), just wanted to try sumthin else. You & Richard have some compelling reasons to go back.

Thanks.
    Colo

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Actually havent seen the bundy tackleworld boat there for a bit.Maybe they know something every1 else doesnt,that or they have released a particularly voracious breed of termite onto the tree. Need to put a few permanent moorings up there. Steve maybe you could get onto that for the visitors..
    I dont even know what tree yous are talking about. seriously....I think I have an idea where it is. I know the tackleworld boat looks like the guidelines boat from the dam...sure your not mixing them up....Rob and Adrian reckon there were stacks of boats near/on one of their spots.?

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Old mate in his skeeter, stratos whatever tied up to it on Monday, no leccy to glide in on, so the young fella driving was crunching, and I mean crunching, the gears on the big yam to get in on the tree. He still lost a big fish, and boated a tugger, amazing stuff considering the noise he made in tieing off.
    Ha ha ha, I know who that is. Our local publican. His electric motor shaft was smashed in a 'malfunction' of some kind.....now I know where you tree is. He flogs that spot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Colo77 View Post
    Steve, I have been using Penn 10x for a while but am yet to tangle with any big girls. For some reason I only seem to attract the rats (12 or 13 years chasin barra in the fresh & my pb is still only 64cm ). The Penn seems fine with them so far but it's inevitible I will run into a big girl sooner or later (pref sooner ).I am a former user of Black Magic, never had any issues with it but I thought it was great. You & Richard push some compelling reasons to go back.

Thanks.
    Colo,

thanks mate. I reckon its a confidence thing for me. There a lots of fans for the 10x. I think its too stiff, and goes that milky colour after a while.

Thats just me. Steve