Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota Ulterra 36V - batteries

Minn Kota Ulterra 36V - batteries

Looking at fitting the new Minn Kota Ulterra i-pilot 112/36V 72in on a 6.8mtr boat. What's peoples thoughts on good quality AGM deep cycle batteries/chargers to suit. Been looking at the forums and asking the local battery stores but I seem to be going round in circles. I have been very happy with the Full River brand, but now that battery shop is recommending a RA branded one(not sure if that's how its spelt). Store #2 which has Optima's is recommending one by the name of Auscharge. I'm unlikely to purchase brands I've never heard of. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra 36V - batteries

If you take a look at a lot of these batteries, the things look the same except for the sticker or at worst a different colour. Personally I suspect there is a massive amount of "badge engineering" and most battery places are simply going to recommend what they are selling at the time for what ever their reasons may be - supplier agreements, profit margin etc. Personally I have run Absorbed Power AGM's - nothing special compared to any other battery as such, and have had a good run. I would probably be looking at a few and then making a choice based upon a combination of price and warranty - no point paying a premium for the same or similar product unless they are offering a better warranty.

I'm also looking at ditching the anchor winch and getting an ulterra I'll be interested to see how it handles such a big boat. I will be sticking with the Full River batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minn Kota Ulterra 36V - batteries

I have 3 Lifelines in my boat running the Ulterra. Haven't had it or the boat long but had allot of Lifelines in various applications and yet to have one let go on me. I have killed full rivers, Deka's and have melted the lugs off optima's (mostly through abuse) amongst others and while I would have Optima's again in the right application I will be sticking to Lifeline's, Odyssey's and Optima's depending on application. I have 7 Lifelines in the new boat.

I think the Optima's will lack the amp hours for your Ulterra.

I use a Sterling Pro Nautic 36v charger, it isn't waterproof and is designed to be hard mounted so need somewhere reasonably sheltered for it.

The Ulterra is an amazing bit of kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lifelines = you have too much money.
    any battery made by a company with CE and ISO9001 certification (large high volume, bib business etc)
    i use these fusions which the AAFNT chain sells but from ebay as the ones in the shop are $100 more

https://www.reddit.com/r/perth/comme...t_grass_trees/

Lithium are the go but at this stage are too expensive for me. I run lead crystals an to date are very happy with their performance. They are priced similarly to the lifelines.
    The life of a battery depends on the number of charge/discharge cycles it goes through and also the depth of discharge and the cheaper range of deep cycles just do not hack it compared with the likes of lifelines and lead crystals.
    When you break it down to the cost of each discharge cycle over the life of the battery the lifelines and lead crystals are way in front.
    Lead crystals also have their own range of dedicated chargers but do not manufacture one for 36volts..
    They are becoming popular for use in off grid solar applications.
    Cheers
    Ray
    ps I run a 24volt ulterra link and there is nothing else on the market that compares with it. The stow and deploy feature is fantastic.

balls. theres no magic a good quality chinese battery would approach the american ones. theres no magic formula. you can buy two quality chinese ones for one us brand.
    full rivers (shinese) just got too good a name and put their prices up but there are many others that are the same quality.

You're right, no magic - just differences in qualities of materials and construction.

I am no oracle, but I go through allot of batteries, and have used allot of different types/brands and have killed plenty. Never had a good run with Chinese batteries of any variation, and have killed plenty of American ones too - Deka used to be good but they are woeful now. But like I said I have had a heap of Lifelines and yet to kill one despite some severe abuse including many discharges on 2 sets to 1.5v with no noticeable loss of performance in either.

Another battery I have had a good run with is the Ultimate brand. Seem to alright too and might be a good alternative that are a bit cheaper. I have some in my F250 and had them in my old camper and caravan and they did well, though not thoroughly abused. No good under a bonnet (temp) but that's not a consideration in a boat anyway.

As for the "too much money" business, pull your head in, I buy very very well anyway, and when I actually get away in my boat I don't want to be pulled up by inferior gear that I could have avoided. I am not taking the risk of my holiday being ruined by a Chinese eBay lottery, Especially when I am sometimes extremely remote. Performance is my primary driver , $$ are a consideration but are secondary to performance for me. You obviously feel different and that's a matter for you, cost maybe your number one and that is fine - I don't really care, I am merely sharing my experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was in this situation a couple of months back and the weight of the batteries and usage time was a killer. I just cough up the $$ and went and got 12x180Ah CALB lithium batteries. Runs the motor all day without cracking a sweat. The previous lead batteries was struggling about noon and cant hold a spot properly.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    I was in this situation a couple of months back and the weight of the batteries and usage time was a killer. I just cough up the $$ and went and got 12x180Ah CALB lithium batteries. Runs the motor all day without cracking a sweat. The previous lead batteries was struggling about noon and cant hold a spot properly.
    Hi Hungry,
    I did a search on these batteries, not much information on them that I could find. Can you tell us weight, size, price and where you got them from please or a link. I have been seriously thinking about one of the new MK's for the longboat but need to watch weight.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Hi Hungry,
    I did a search on these batteries, not much information on them that I could find. Can you tell us weight, size, price and where you got them from please or a link. I have been seriously thinking about one of the new MK's for the longboat but need to watch weight.

TMC

I got them from EV Power and the cells I got are CA180FI
    Ihave foundnthat these have way too much power reserves because the suffers no voltage drops which is the achilles heels of Lead batteries. If I was doing it again I would go for the CA100FI or CAM72
    I have not once got close to half capacity on a whole day use. If you can bang up a couple of solar panels I would definately go the 72.
    Also they can be charged with a cheap 32V chargers so 12V as long as it doesnt have float and exceeds 14.4V
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Thanks for the input guys. Done some more homework, found out the Lithium and Lifelines are out of my budget range and the Optimas didn't have enough amp/hours. Looks at some others but eventually went with the 3x Fullriver DC120-12B. Still undecided on a charger at the moment. My decky (lecky) is not totally convinced on the 12v to 36v onboard charger idea. We just don't know enough about them at this stage. Will have to do some research on them. For the time being i might have to stick to my 12v CTeK and charge them individually at home.

Shafter, do you have any tips on good suppliers/prices for the Fullriver DC120? I need two to run my boats refrigeration.

Thanks,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Shafter, do you have any tips on good suppliers/prices for the Fullriver DC120? I need two to run my boats refrigeration.

Thanks,
    Dave.

Dave, I'm up in North Qld and got them locally. Got a great price on them - $350ea inc, which is the cheapest I've seen including online.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shafter View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Done some more homework, found out the Lithium and Lifelines are out of my budget range and the Optimas didn't have enough amp/hours. Looks at some others but eventually went with the 3x Fullriver DC120-12B. Still undecided on a charger at the moment. My decky (lecky) is not totally convinced on the 12v to 36v onboard charger idea. We just don't know enough about them at this stage. Will have to do some research on them. For the time being i might have to stick to my 12v CTeK and charge them individually at home.
    I`ve been using agm`s from aussie batteries on the sunny coast (chinese, but not off ebay) on 3 boats now and, touch wood, had no problems. Had 200ah (125&80) on my last boat for 3 years with no loss of charge. I think it`s important to have a good battery monitor and never let an agm get under 50% charge. Current boat has 2 enerdrive elite gauges, one 24v & one 12v and three 125ah agm`s. Shafter, I also have a sterling dc to dc 12v-24v charger on the boat and these things are a good bit of kit if your motor has a decent alternator. Rob.