Thread: mullet on flys

mullet on flys

I've got a little spot that at this time of year fishes well for freshwater mullet.
    Usually burly the water with bread then feed out a dough bait on 1kg line great way to spend the afternoon . Now Ive started fly fishing and was going to give the mullet ago any tips thanks

Re: mullet on flys

Sounds very odd but a black ant dry fly they can't resist......buggered if I know why though.
    I used to make up some breadcrumb lookalikes and lob them near a large slice of floating bread for ok results.
    Mullet go hard on fly.
    Don't let your berley bread drift away, tether it near you.
    Mullet spook very easily so be aware of your movements.
    5lb tapered tippets are good.
    Jack.

Thanks will give it a go. they go hard on light line too, terribly underrated sports fish I was surprised

easiest Mullet fly of all is soooo simple, use them all the time, a single bean bag "bean" on a hook, used with some bread burley, the bean looks just like a piece of bread, works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    easiest Mullet fly of all is soooo simple, use them all the time, a single bean bag "bean" on a hook, used with some bread burley, the bean looks just like a piece of bread, works a treat.
    That's what I've been looking for, for 20 years thanks

I guess I should add, a bean bag bean is not all that easy to cast into the wind (like most flies I guess) but the bean is not too aerodynamic, but they are managable with a slight head wind, Ok with a behind wind of course! Plenty of "pro" Mullet fly fisherman near me (in salt water) use a hook with some bread pressed firmly onto a bare hook, but to me, that is not exactly fly fishing, it is bait fishing, using fly tackle to cast the tiny bait, but that also works a treat, especially on big sneaky ones!

Never realised that mullet fishing could be such fun
    Will give all these ideas a go over the next few weeks thanks