Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium T Top Roof

Aluminium T Top Roof

After going through all the cost and proceedures and tools/table/throw away consumables i am going to go with a aluminium roof on my T Top

Aluminium is the cheapest option, 2mm sheet for the roof and 50x50x2mm shs for the radius and two cross beams that will be welded to the vertical frame

Just waiting to hear back the shipping cost to see if i can get it cheaper

I pluged in my pulse mig welder earlier and checked setting she can weld .8mm aluminium so 2mm should be a piece of cake

Re: Aluminium T Top Roof

Took the drone up for 1min to get a aerial photography of the centre console, started experiencing the toilet bowl effect so landed plus i have heaps of trees

I'm also aware of drone regulations.. no need to express your selfs

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    After going through all the cost and proceedures and tools/table/throw away consumables i am going to go with a aluminium roof on my T Top

Aluminium is the cheapest option, 2mm sheet for the roof and 50x50x2mm shs for the radius and two cross beams that will be welded to the vertical frame

Just waiting to hear back the shipping cost to see if i can get it cheaper

I pluged in my pulse mig welder earlier and checked setting she can weld .8mm aluminium so 2mm should be a piece of cake
    Have you considered good quality canvas laced tightly, something like this

Image1630607668.263923.jpg

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Canvas is quite expensive, I got a quote to replace mine a few weeks ago, and for decent quality, it's well over $500, but I have to do it.....

I thought about stitching some garden mesh but it would be cheapish, never thought of the canvas i have never worked with it before

Its been a while since i have lift a sheet of aluminium i looked up the weigh specs last night 2mm is 37-44kg so i plan on using .8mm and pop rivetting it to the top

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, we think of alumunium as being light--well, it is light compared to the equivilent gauge of steel, but can still be a heavy assembly. Garden mesh will just let the water drip on your head, all the time. I know CC's are generally not dry boats, but I wouldn't do that. You need to think you design out really well, it's the old engineering conumdrum, balance between weight and strength. Make sure you are not relying on just one upright at any point in the design. I had an aluminium t-top on a previous 6m tinny, was always welding it up, top was solid ali sheet, unsure of gauge. Gussets were added, would crack below them. 3mm tube. Personally, I think you are better going for a light gauge and accepting some flex rather than going heavy to make it really rigid, but that theory could go bad on you pretty quick, too. If using a light gauge, you are better off using fittings to connect the tube rather than weakening with weld.
    Have you looked at those OceanSouth t-tops? https://www.whitworths.com.au/oceans...-top-cover-kit available all over, prices do vary with vendors. I had an Oceansouth rocket launcher on a previous boat--the tubing seemed light, and it flexed, but never gave me any trouble at all.

And as for t-tops in general...well , they really don't give much shelter, unless you are around midday from the sun, or, in rain, if you are stationary and it is falling straight down. Or you make them enormous.

The t top is already built from 40x3mm round tubing, i need to add 2 ceoss pieces these will be 40x40x2mm shs than a frame right around the outside will be 40x40x2mm

I ordered 13 meters of 40x40x2mm shs i also ordered a full sheet of .9mm aluminium

I would have went 3mm material but i had to go the cheaper aluminium to offset the $110 shipping

The plan is to mount my rod holders on the back top of the canopy, mount a front and rear flood lights just for pulling up an anchor or fighting a decent fish down the back at night i may also use a all round cabin light under the canopy for general night fishing

Trying not to build the canopy to heavy as i dont want that high center of gravity rocking motion while at sea

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...op-canvas.html

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Shakey there was a guy on fb that was going to start producing flat fibreglass sheets 2400x1200mm 3mm thick he said he could'nt find anyone selling these, he was in tassie and was going to sell them for $400 a sheet but logistics would be difficult

Aluminium is being delivered tomorrow 6 day delivery time Sydney to Sydney

This covid is taking out everyone

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Aluminium is being delivered tomorrow 6 day delivery time Sydney to Sydney

This covid is taking out everyone
    For you, its a mere inconvenience, for many, their livelihoods are being damaged or destroyed..

Some businesses are thriving, some have turned to sh!t through no fault of their own and many people losing their jobs....

This covid sure is sh!t..

Got her all tacked up i could only tack it together as i only had 1mm tips for the wrlder and i bought 1mm wire i need to order some 1.2mm tips than i can weld it all up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Think i bought the wrong roof material the aluminium sheet is .9mm checker plate but its that flimsy i think its actually .9mm thickness on the checker section and the sheet is more .5mm, i am really thinking this stuff is so thin it may tear off the rivets and fly off down the highway

I'm also left with about 5 meters of 40x40x2mm shs so i may weld up a single seat base for both seats

There is no rush for this. Take a real hard think about what you want and what is best.

Take your time

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I donno if i want to make a frame or fork out as much as my seats cost to buy seat boxes 650 for my seats than another 600 on sest boxes is just crazy money for comfort
    Attached Images Attached Images