Thread: What prop size for this Yamaha.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What prop size for this Yamaha.

I have a mechanic working on my landcruiser, he has just got a 2nd hand 30hp Yamaha, he seems to think the prop is not the right size,it gets up out of the hole very fast yet the top speed is not what he expected,would any one happen to know what the best prop size would be?

gr hilly cheers.

Re: What prop size for this Yamaha.

Mate
    Have not got a clue, but is good to see you back.
    Shawn

Hilly its not about speed with outboards its about being in the full throttle rpm range u ideally want to be propped to as close to the max rpm without going over

Hard to say without a tacho or knowing what revs it's pulling with the existing pitch prop. The only other way is if someone has a similar rig and has done the exercise but even then loading conditions can change the outcome. What is it on - someone here may have a similar boat. Other option would be someone like Solas who usually have good records as to what has worked on what.

from memory will probably be something like a 9 7/8d x 11 1/4"p for a 25/30hp

Scottar i read Solas has changed names now i can't remember who they changed to, i have never used them but loved the idea how u could buy a prop get it delivered than u get to test it and if wrong size u send it back for a swap

Yeah, I'm not sure Gazza. Someone else has the Solas franchise now - not sure whether their service is the same. The guys up the sunny coast are now Propeller Warehouse.

www.propellerwarehouse.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure Gazza. Someone else has the Solas franchise now - not sure whether their service is the same. The guys up the sunny coast are now Propeller Warehouse.

www.propellerwarehouse.com.au/
    Steve told me 6 months ago he was selling, as far as I'm aware the staff there are continuing with their previous services although I haven't been there for a while.

You need a tacho as someone else said

the boat speed will be what ever it ends up being once you prop for optimum revs

prop for too much top speed and will over load the engine
    prop for too much acceleration and will over rev it at speed ( or bounce off the limiter)

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    from memory will probably be something like a 9 7/8d x 11 1/4"p for a 25/30hp
    what is the current prop's size?

the question should be what revs is It achieving at WOT
    prop size is irrelevant unless this is known.

your right matching it to WOT, but when you buy an outboard that size, it usually comes with a standard size prop. 25/30hp yamaha's come with a 9 7/8 x 11 1/4p. maybe he has something much different!