Thread: Tweed Bar - crossing it ok?

Tweed Bar - crossing it ok?

Hey guys,

Just in need of a little help of where to cross on the northern or southern side and the correct route to take out the bar.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the tweed bar, but have been crossing southport/currumbin weekly and currumbin is getting a bit bad in itself, a few close calls in big swell.

So anyway wanting to head out around cookisland + wider reefs and need some local info to help guide me through my first skippering tweed bar crossing!

I've heard it breaks futher out on the southern wall, and on big swells northern can bring in rogues.

Any help is appreciated.

matt.

Re: Tweed Bar - crossing it ok?

Yeah, currumbin and Tally needs Shit loads of dredging, its just out of control ! when you look at it at low tide it just makes you wonder.... as for tweed? I havent gone out that way for a long time but should be heaps better than tally or curmbn, someone will say whats up with tweed in here.

Matt,

Any run in tide the tweed will be sedate...1m swell and a run out tide.. totally different ball game.. you need your wits about you.. best idea is to go down and watch some boats cross the bar on a run out tide.. best spot is to be standing on the rock wall.. you will get an idea whats involved. Not a bar you should turn up to and just take it on.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

thats for sure, tweed bar can be trickey and ive had some close calls in my 3.9m tinny.
    but always head out on the northern wall as the water is deepest there.
    alot of dredging has been going on in tweed over the last few weeks but the sand bank still goes out a few hundred meters. you wil see the sand bank and if you decide to over to cook island way make sure you go around the sand bank as pressure waves can pop up from anywere.
    tweed bar can be trickey but as garry said watch the other boats do it first

Got me all scared now!

Considering just going from currumbin to cook island instead!

Must go down to dbah wall and watch when a few boats go out...

i think currumbin can be worse because of how shallow it is!
    you will be fine mate as i said i went out in my 3.9m hornet

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    i think currumbin can be worse because of how shallow it is!
    you will be fine mate as i said i went out in my 3.9m hornet
    Ya recon??? I would take currumbin over any bar on east coast.. except maloolaba .. which is a walk in the park
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

yer well i suppose im just so used to tweed

Tweed bar is a lot better than it used to be years ago. Same rules apply as crossing any bar really, on ur way in sit on the back of a wave, keep an eye out for rogues, enter and exit in a north easterly direction as others have mentioned before hading south once you get out about half a mile or so. Get out as quickly as possible without doing anything stupid.

Probly a good time to go have a look at he moment considering how rough it is, can get an idea of what it is like at its worst. Last 3-4hrs of the run out tide is obviously the worst time to be crossing any bar. I thought currumbin would also be worse due to how shallow it is

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Ya recon??? I would take currumbin over any bar on east coast.. except maloolaba .. which is a walk in the park
    Mooloolaba is not really a bar though!!!!

You can watch it online too! on coastal watch website. listed in the surf cam list as Duranbah.
    Tweed bar isn't too bad, but definitly don't roll up there without having a good look at it in some varied conditions.
    the run out tide pressure waves stack up just inside the walls and can be a bit tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by MeePee_99 View Post
    Mooloolaba is not really a bar though!!!!

There should be more places like that on the east coast, would enable us smaller boat owners to get out more often.
    Theres days I'd love to be out off blackhead fishing but the run out tide and 1.5m swell is making it a no go for a tinny. In my opinion anyway.

I have crossed the Tweed in my boat, but it was a nice day and top of the tide, so cant comment on how to cross it.

crossed it this morning 1.2 fast run out tide, HELLA SCARY!

But handled it ok and once was out was easier then currumbin, but the first 100 metres was a bit hair raising.

Thanks for your help