Thread: Flying Gaffe

Flying Gaffe

Casn someone point me in the right direction where to buy or best way to make one for my travels, lost or couldnt lift a few Jew on my last travels fishing off breakwalls. No long enough gaffe and at my age dont feel secure enough to go scrambling down the rocks...
    Appreciate feedback ..
    PS Nothing big n bulky or to lift BIG Jew just mainlyfor a schoolie here n there and something can fit in my backpack..

Re: Flying Gaffe

You can get cliff gaffs that slide down the line but I would think if you are using one off a breakwall all you will end up with is a stuck cliff gaff. Might be better looking at an extendable pole gaff. How far away do you want to gaff fish?

Not too sure you actually want a proper flying gaff, more like something like the cliff gaff that slides down the line (as mentioned) but maybe just a long light weight gaff would do the trick.

Lost some nice school jew fishing off the breawall at Iluka n Nambucca Heads as well as Forster due to the fact I was using light line n a tad old to go scrambling down along the rocks, boulders.
    What i thought of was some kinda cord line that one can clip on the main line n send it down the line to gaffe the fish.

Hi Volvo

My experience with the flying gaff you describe is that they only work if you are pretty much above the fish, unless it is a big fish with plenty of fight left that will be able to keep the line tight enough to support the weight of the gaff and rope.

As you slide the gaff down the line, the weight the gaff and rope will pull the line down, such that it will be lower to the water and gravity will be unable to slide down onto to your fish.

Hope that makes sense. Your best bet for the situation you describe above, IMO, is a longer handled gaff and a mate to do the gaffing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Hi Volvo

My experience with the flying gaff you describe is that they only work if you are pretty much above the fish, unless it is a big fish with plenty of fight left that will be able to keep the line tight enough to support the weight of the gaff and rope.

As you slide the gaff down the line, the weight the gaff and rope will pull the line down, such that it will be lower to the water and gravity will be unable to slide down onto to your fish.

Hope that makes sense. Your best bet for the situation you describe above, IMO, is a longer handled gaff and a mate to do the gaffing for you.
    Yeah thanks mate, Mate travelling with me will be the Missus and dont plan sendsing her down the rocks lol.. Too valuable to lose , what i might play around with is a cord line, a clip of sorts to clip and be able to slide down the line and some big treblles as will only be for school jewies and maybe the bigger than normal tailor etc.
    Just want simple and least as possible gear for Caravan Travels , also at my age i dont want to be walking distances packed up like a Mule lol..
    backpack , couple of rods , handline or two for the Missus , some tackle and somewhere for the fish we catch...
    But kind thanks for all the replies ey..

try an extendable aluminium pool scoop handle with gaff attached, drill a hole through the 2 pieces for a clip as the joining plastic screw thing won't hold weight. light to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by petelaska View Post
    try an extendable aluminium pool scoop handle with gaff attached, drill a hole through the 2 pieces for a clip as the joining plastic screw thing won't hold weight. light to carry.
    Will certainly look into that one , BIG Thanks ..