Thread: Old Alvey Reels

Old Alvey Reels

Hey,
    I have had some old Alvey reels in the garage and finally decided to pull them out and have a look at them, going to refurbish them and throw them on some new Surf Rods.
    I know nothing about Alvey Reels though.
    I have attached a photo of each.
    I am going to strip them and get rid of the aluminum corrosion, then clean up the spools.
    My drama is I have no idea what 2 of them are made of, so don't know what to do with them.
    The first one is simple enough. It is timber, so I will sand it back and seal with some hard wearing lacquer.
    The 2nd and third are lightweight, I was thinking Steel, but they are too light, then I thought Aluminium. Now that I have the line off I reckon they are some kind of plastic, but I thought they would be too old to be plastic. There is also no degradation of the plastic like I would expect after so long (they're in really good nick).....
    Does anyone have any experience with these types of reels and know what I should do with them?
    My original thought (thinking they were metal) was primer and hard wearing gloss black paint, should make them look a million dollars with the metal fittings.....
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers

Glen

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Old Alvey Reels

Also what is a good way to get rid of the corrosion on the Aluminium. It isn't deep, just surface powdery stuff.

I think the older ones were bakelite ? Try Brasso on the metal.

The second two are most likely bakelite. Which is a hard and durable thermoset plastic has been used in alveys since 1936.

Alvey History

Ah sweet thanks mate. What would I use to clean them up? Steel wool?

From a quick search it appears that you can use brasso and a bit of elbow grease to polish bakelite, or if you have a material buffer on a bench grinder you can use that and a buffing compound. be sure to keep moving the spool if you use a bench grinder so one spot doesn't get adversely affected.

def Bakelite. Go to the Alvey website or even call the factory in Brisbane and they will let you know the best product. I've used all sorts of stuff on the bakelite but best to go to the website. These are great old reels, well done for saving them. You can buy kits for them with drag washers etc. Lightly sand the wooden reel with 180 grade sandpaper before lacquering. Too bad they don't have drags but just use the palm of your hand. I still have one my Dad bought for me from a tackle shop on the Nade at Hervey Bay in 1976.

Awesome, thanks guys. Just stripped them all down, all in really good condition. I though they'd be hard to get apart, having sat around for so long. Will get stuck into them tomorrow.
    Next thing will be figuring out what rods to throw them on......
    Cheers

On Bakelite u could try boot polish. I have used this on some olde phones ages ago to good effect.

As said the last 2 are bakelite. No1 and 3 aren't any good for surf casting with the metal rings. If they were mine I would focus on the middle one as going by the tension nut it is the biggest. Probably a 550 600 or 650, look on the back of the reel it should say. Should sit nicely on a 12ft to 13'6" surf rod.

Do NOT use steel wool on them. Those green scourer things in the kitchen are the most abrasive I would use if I really had to. Water and a piece of rag and just rub them firmly to remove and grime will be enough, a wet toothbrush if thick. Take the middle locking screw and nut off the spindle and remove the spool. Clean out any old grease and just lightly cover the ratchet, springs, spindle and other pieces in a light coat of new grease and put back together. A few drops of oil on the handles and the inserts and where the reel turns and its done. Load up with 6kg (mono only for Alveys) throw it on a suitable rod and you are away.

If you enjoy using it consider removing/breaking the ring and arm from the other bakelite reel. Looks around a 500 size and would go nicely on a 6 to 8ft boat rod with 4 to 6kg mono. The wooden one well.... I'll leave that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
    As said the last 2 are bakelite. No1 and 3 aren't any good for surf casting with the metal rings. If they were mine I would focus on the middle one as going by the tension nut it is the biggest. Probably a 550 600 or 650, look on the back of the reel it should say. Should sit nicely on a 12ft to 13'6" surf rod.

Do NOT use steel wool on them. Those green scourer things in the kitchen are the most abrasive I would use if I really had to. Water and a piece of rag and just rub them firmly to remove and grime will be enough, a wet toothbrush if thick. Take the middle locking screw and nut off the spindle and remove the spool. Clean out any old grease and just lightly cover the ratchet, springs, spindle and other pieces in a light coat of new grease and put back together. A few drops of oil on the handles and the inserts and where the reel turns and its done. Load up with 6kg (mono only for Alveys) throw it on a suitable rod and you are away.

If you enjoy using it consider removing/breaking the ring and arm from the other bakelite reel. Looks around a 500 size and would go nicely on a 6 to 8ft boat rod with 4 to 6kg mono. The wooden one well.... I'll leave that to you.
    Just finished on the 2 Bakelite ones.
    The middle one is a 600 (600 A1), the bottom is a 500 (500 A1). To clean them up I just used some Brasso. Worked well, they came up nicely. Stripped the guts out and removed grease, applied some new stuff. I cleaned the corrosion and buildup of crap off the stainless with Brasso and very fine wet and dry.
    The 600 size does seem like the best of the 3. Will toss that on a rod first and see how it goes. Do I need any special rod, or any 12-13.6ft surf rod do the job?
    The timber one seems older then the other 2, it uses different components, and just seems more dated. Haven't touched that yet (beyond stripping it), it will be more work as it is more corroded and dirty (plus sanding and varnish needed). Might get into it tomorrow if I get motivated....

Bugga the internet ate my post Short answer for the 600 any "low mount" rod, this means a shorter butt and different spacing of the guides. The 500 isn't so important and at a pinch could be put on a (preferably shorter butt) spin rod. Although longer term that will become a pain.

As SCREAMER said a low mount rod is best I have used alveys on a spin rod and its not the best for long sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    I still have one my Dad bought for me from a tackle shop on the Nade at Hervey Bay in 1976.
    I imagine a lot of us would have old Alveys. I don't surf fish very often, but when I do my surf reel is a rosewood 650 that I bought in 1968. Its still in terrific condition. They were sure made to last.