Thread: boat trailer open channel decision

boat trailer open channel decision

I have spent time researching which new boat trailer to get to replace the rusty Mackay one which was under the boat second hand when I bought it 18 months ago. I wasn't counting on the expense of a new trailer as I had bought the package from a dealer on the Sunshine Coast. I mentioned at the time that the trailer looked rusty but was told it would be OK. It was OK for 18 months but despite my fastidious high pressure hosing with salt away after every dip in salt water internally it was already on the way out. So after looking into all the brands and changing my mind a few times, I've ordered another Mackay this time their open channel series which is easier to maintain & doesn't accumulate salt water in hidey holes. To reach my decision I made some important phone calls. I firstly phoned Whittley in Victoria asking them what they recommended for my boat - A Whittley Impala 5.3 metre fibreglass boat. They said Mackay fits their boats best and they recommend their quality. They said they have seen some of their boats on Redco's but it's more of a generic type fit.
    Then I phoned Mackay trailers in Victoria and discussed my options and the guy on the phone said "if it was my boat I'd be going for the open channel type due to rust prevention". They are slightly heavier due to being a sturdier overall frame. The Mackay trailer looks slick and well built and has the features I want such as the V mesh at the front you can stand on & the mesh walkway. It is about $1000 more coming in at $5,998 total registered through Northside Marine Brisbane. I also wanted to mention that anyone who has a trailer that could be repaired I spoke to a guy who I've had work done by who is very good and he bolts aluminum ends onto rusted trailers. His name is Rod at Rod's engineering Maroochydore. Unfortunately mine was too far gone.

Re: boat trailer open channel decision

Just got to go to any boat ramp to look at the poor state of a lot of trailers.
    Box sections hide a lot of rust.
    I recently bought a trailer and sealed up the holes in cross members, filled them up with new oil (had a previous trailer that leaked and black oil is very apparent on any concrete) and sealed up. Sprayed the outside of trailer and inside of main longitudinal box section with Septone Rust shield.
    Hopefully should prolong the inevitable for a long time.
    AB

Wow, I know I am a cheapskate but $6k for a trailer for a 5.3mtr boat seems way OTT to me

Quote Originally Posted by stockhorse View Post
    Wow, I know I am a cheapskate but $6k for a trailer for a 5.3mtr boat seems way OTT to me
    It does seem expensive but having priced a new heavy duty trailer with brakes for my bluefin anything nonstandard is expensive . I can get a crappy standard trailer that looks like it will last 5 yr for $2 -2.5 k but anything decent FMS BELCO REDCO Are all $3-3.5 k at least depending on options . I got a quote for a heavy duty Mackay with brakes was going to be $ 4-4.5 k so I can see it . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

The cheapest Chinese import was going to be $3,400 unregistered. I didn't go down that path I believe it's worth extra money for a good quality reputable trailer.

Build your own.

Here's a riddle for the gal trailer painters...

Given that the gal is a sacrificial anode, exactly the same as the anodes on your motors, do you also paint the motor anodes?

Ok I'll take the bait.
    I had a trailer for approx. 15 years that originally was painted with 'underbody' which was a oil based bitumen paint used to rust treat cars. Went 1/2 way up to the cape, Arnhem land, Kimberley, west coast of NT and other shit roads therefore had a few extra coats of different types of bitumen paint due to be rock and sand blasted but basically had zero rust.
    Once the sacrificial anode gal erodes off your trailer it is usually gonza. I think could be slight difference as your trailer gets dunked whereas your motor sits in salt water for hours at a time.
    AB

Not a bait Andrew I'd like to hear what people think about it.

On face value it sounds like a good idea to paint with some sort of magic goop but it also seems it would defeat the whole idea of how the gal is supposed to work.

Fed, I suspect that the real problem is the box sections of trailer that get dunked and are near impossible to properly wash out and there is a build up of salt and it will eventually corrode the trailer from inside out, also if the gal hasn't taken properly there is no way to tell by looking up 7 metres of box section (there are ways but out of the means of the average boatie) so spraying inside these sections appears to be the only recourse we have.

I just put a new C-channel galv trailer from Mackay under my Longboat for exactly the reasons mentioned above. Also getting it rustproofed at Downey St next week. Cost me $7000 delivered. So far very happy.

Gal is a sacrificial anode yes.....in saying that it also has a limited lifetime exposed to air and water to eat it away.
    Once the galv is gone only the steel is left to rust away.
    If you paint over galv, the paint has to erode away before the galv erodes away to expose the raw steel.
    Paint extends the time before the steel is exposed.

My next trailer will be galv then tar epoxied.
    Jack.

Weld plates in the box ends and fill with fisholone or similar volitile and put bolts on the welded end caps with neoprene seals and forget about inside rust

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing