Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which boat best for a novice

Which boat best for a novice...UPDATE !!!

Total newbie when it comes to boating so need some help choosing please.
    Dare I say on this hallowed forum that fishing is not the number one priority, I just need something that will comfortably get me and the good lady out into Moreton Bay for the odd overnighter with the occasional run out into the wild ocean for an overnight fishing trip when the kids come home for a visit. I have been doing quite a bit of research as to which size and model would suit and because of it's reliability and history, have ended up deciding to go with a Haines Hunter. (this could change)
    After numerous nights scanning the online sales I thought an ideal size would be something around the 6.5 meter mark. My budget is not huge and there seemed to be a few boats out there in the $25-35,000 range that would do the trick. So, I had narrowed it down to a few possibilities and then I took to the boat yards to get a feel of what sizes were like close up. First thing I realised was anything over about 6 meters is probably going to be too big for legally towing behind my large station wagon and secondly, it seems that once you start looking at smaller boats the price changes and anything around the 5 m mark I can pick up for near new within budget. I guess my question is do the smaller boats take a hammering in the rough or are they still an acceptable ride.
    Any other boat suggestions appreciated
    Thanks guys

Re: Which boat best for a novice

i have a 5.25 metre boat that i do those sorts of things in, but no cabin, so sleeping is on the open deck.
    AS long as you pick the right weather to go its all good. Will still handle the rough stuff, its just not that comfortable thats all.

I take my 5.5m boat 60km's offshore and have slept onboard with 2 adults and 2 kids. A 6m+ boat for a newbie is a lot to handle mate. You are correct too about towing, the bigger the boat, the bigger the tow vehicle.
    What is the towing capacity of your station wagon?
    Here is a boat ready to go that even has some fishing marks for the bay already in the GPS.
    http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...&Ridx=1&eapi=2
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

What's the towing limit for your vehicle? As you have stated this will be your limiting factor.

All boats will pound when it gets rough but obviously the heavier it is the less it will normally. A glass boat around the 5.5m mark may be a good compromise. It should handle most conditions in Moreton Bay that you would want to be out in. When the conditions get to a certain point it doesn't matter what boat you are in - it just isn't fun anymore.

As a total newbie to boating, please do not consider overnight trips offshore yet. We have enough statistics. Buy something manageable, and go and hang out around the Jumpinpin/Broadwater area. Get used to driving a boat and reading the weather before you venture too far offshore, Moreton Bay can be quite dangerous in certain conditions. Please crawl, then walk before you try to run.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I notice that you are on the Moreton Bay Islands. Are you talking Southerm Moreton Bay Islands? I live there and do most of my boating in the area. My advice would be to buy a rig that will suit the majority of your needs and not one for the occasional trip somewhere.
    If you are in the Southern Bay, then you don't necessarily need the same sort of boat that you would if you were venturing out in the Northern Bay all the time. I've spent plenty of time doing both and there's a huge difference.
    The most important thing is the reliability of the motor. Buying a bigger boat with a clapped out motor to keep within budget doesn't work. Buy the best and newest donk you can to remove hassles and to ensure you don't scare your wife away from boating.

the number one thing of course, make sure you tell someone where you are going.

Suggest joining your local Coast Guard or VMR to make sure someone is looking out for you if the worst case happens and u break down.

strongly support the last 2 comments from BGG and AUSSIEBASSER as a first time boat owner you want your boat in as best condition as possible. i would be staying away from o/n trips offshore untill you have spent a few nights on the boat in calm water.
    you could always fill the boat up stay at tangalooma overnight and go around the cape at daylight thats what i used to do when first started i had a 5.3m yalta 1800 alrounder brought it brand new with 115hp for $35000 that also had some extras very safe boat and will forfill all your present boating needs in my opinion

cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Thanks guys, great responses and valued comments.
    Your Yalta looks a nice boat Ozynorts, I am tempted :-)
    BGG, I have lived on Russell for the past five 5 years now.
    I do have a little experience out in the bay in a small tiny, just fed up now with the late afternoon chop spray one seems to get in the face most days on the run home. We like to walk on Stradie and visit other walking spots where we usually put up a tent so figured a bigger more enclosed boat would kill two birds with one stone! I do agree, a more up to date model is the way to go, my days of tinkering with engines are long gone
    Cheers

If it helps mate the tow weight on mine is under 2 ton.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I concur with all comments made on this thread.
    6.5m is a big boat. Heavy to tow. Heavy on fuel (usually)
    Hard for the misses/kid to hang onto at the ramp.

As a general boating option to play in the bay and head offshore in good weather a 5.5m would be ideal. Can sleep 2 adults in the cabin 2x on the deck. ( same as a 6.5m)
    Still light enough to be on a single axle trailer. 1500kg. Often better on fuel burn.
    Takes up less space at home.
    Cheaper.
    Care must be taken to find a 5.5m boat that rides well in the morten bay chop. Deep vee glass boats are your best option. Team up with another boatie for the first few trips to help navigate the ocean.

Learn your boat. From where the electrical items are, to how to operate the GPS. Engine filters, fuse panel, where your safety gear is located.

Just for your comparisons.

http://m.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/?R=24410654

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Hi desertislander, I am on Macleay Island, now 8 yrs, brought a Yalta 555 great boat but a bit hard to handle at the ramp etc.sold after 1 year and got a Polycraft 4.5 CC with bimini. great boat drive on trailer no worry with rocks and ramps rides like a fibreglass hull .

Which boat best for a novice

Gidday desertislander. I too have a Polycraft, a 4.8mt Brumby Cuddy. Just like Briannes has commented there an easy low maintenance, manageable boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Just blown away by all the suggestions on here, I never expected such a response, all very helpful, thanks everyone.
    I am now looking at a Haines 545 F 2005 model with full camping covers. The engine is a 2005 140 Suzuki 4 stroke with 260 hours. To my untrained eye it looks a great original rig the only negative being the asking price of $37,000 which seems excessive, I would have thought around $30,000 although it does have a good four stroke engine, and engine quality does seem to be a big factor in where the price is on these, are four strokes more economical than two strokes ? Anyway, I am not rushing in, more boats to look at over the weekend, this is almost as stressful as buying a house

I recently had a Yalta 535 fibreglass with 115 4 stroke - the ride and shade were good (bought in March $28000 then added more electrics/wiring). But I wouldn't say it was amazing compared to my aluminium boats of the past - it still bounced a lot in normal (tide against small wind) conditions. Bought it to suit the family. Used it 6 times in 4 months. Didn't feel comfortable driving it on trailer for solo trips, being glass. As others have suggested, glass aren't the easiest to handle, especially if new to boating (and this was my 5th boat in 9 years). Sold it, and purchased a 520 Formosa CC with 115 etec - have already learned to drive it on (being plate much more confident), will be much happier pulling up on sandy/gravelly beaches and ramps, etc.... I paid $28750 for a 2010 Tomahawk (their premium) with the 115 etec (diagnostic test and serviced with HDS7, VHF, radio, dual batts, etc).... family will be happy for quick fishing trips and days to islands, etc, but it will get used a lot more, as it's manageable solo. Big enough to get amongst the pelagics/reefies, but also able to head up the creeks.

Sometimes it's nice to think you'll get offshore and into the big ones, but it's usually a lot more practical to get out more often closer in and head out offshore on a charter (also probably just as cheap).

The glass cabin boats certainly suit lots of families and anglers, but thought I'd share my experience. I was going to wait for the Brisbane Boat Show in September, but the Formosa came on the market here in my home town, so snapped it up. Good luck with your hunting and purchase.