Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchoring at Kingfisher Bay

Re: Anchoring at Kingfisher Bay

Cheers for that. I'll go an extra length of chain. I have used a plough anchor a few times on a mates 21ft bayliner when we have fished overnight and haven't moved, so I reckon it should be overkill enough for me for this trip. My fall back I suppose that is if I am not comfortable it is going to hold, or strong winds or rain I will just run the boat up on the beach.

Agree! can reverse and drag the plough anchor easily enough but the danforth holds fast

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Love your style. I thought I was the only mug who used 10 m of 10 mm chain and the biggest anchor I can fit in the well on a trailerboat! Sure helps me sleep at night.

Camped in the Whitsundays and was tidying up and checking the boat was squared away before diving over the side for the bolt to shore in the dark. Just about to dive in when a baitball bigger than the boat erupted between me and shore with something fair up its clacker. Talk about increasing the heart rate. Took a few minutes to work up to actually taking the plunge!
    You are a brave person to swim at dark in the Whitsundays, many years ago whilst on my honeymoon, we anchored up in a bay for the night, where I started to fish, I think is was Turtle bay, a couple of boats around, one of them had kids swimming around the boat, anyway after I hooked my second shark I yelled out to that boat what I had caught, next we heard.. Kids get out of the water ..Now!!

I did a short spell on a commercial fishing boat about 10-15 years before that and at night every second fish we caught in the net was a shark ranging from 1m... to.. shit what put that bloody big hole in the net! During the day they weren't a big problem but at night they became really active. Also caught a nice tiger shark when we anchored off Whitehaven beach (also at night). Scared the hell out of the wife, she didn't want to go in the water the next day.

Cheers

My wife cleared everyone out of the water in the Tongue Bay anchorage dragging a shark bigger than the tender up onto the duckboard. Watching people trying to climb the vertical sides of yachts to get out of the water was gold!

You're onto it... Length of chain is the key!

Cheers

jim