Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Building of the new Riptide platey **it finally floats**

Re: Building of the new Riptide platey

looking great Greg, well done
    cheers - Craig

Greg,

Great looking rig, and thanks for the pictures and you thoughts behind the layout

AllyJack

Quote Originally Posted by Reefmaster View Post
    I think the boys thought I was crazy just asking for bollards like them but after spending two days grinding, shaping, sanding and polishing them I reckon they think I'm a nut case now. But gee they came up looking like fully molded stainless steel ones. They are dirty as now because everyone just has to touch them
    Oops - sorry Greggo. I was trying to get too close to see my reflection .

Thanks for the opportunity to come and see the rig before she left Dave's workshop. It is truely a masterpiece mate. Someone on here said in an earlier post that this boat should should be on display at the boat shows. I totally agree. There is no other boat like it on the water.

The layout is incredible in that you'll have absolutely everything that a good fishing boat needs, all at your fingertips, the whole while having a completely clutter-free deck space for ease of moving around. And that's not to mention all the little thigs that make a BIG difference - sliding battery trays, half recessed foot rests, places to store tackle boxes out of the way but at an arms reach when needed, full anchor control from the helm with out of the way storage, wrap around dash with lock-up capability, fibreglassed underfloor kill tank, even the sweet little pockets for the knives, pliers etc. at the bait board. The list goes on. Sensational.

I can't begin to imagine how many hours of just planning has gone into it on your part. I particularly was impressed with the way you pulled the cabin together - all the photos and prior planning - priceless. The angles and lines of which I might add are second to none in terms of aesthetics.

Also, Dave, if you are reading this, a massive congrats to you mate on such a quality build. Every little detail has been completed with such a high level of workmanship. Just to watch you work was a pleasure and to listen to a welder hum along so smoothly was a first for me.

Greg, I reckon you and Dave have made a good team in designing and constructing this boat, and the finished hull is a testimate to that, and anyone who will ever have the pleasure of seeing it will realise the same.

Awesome. Simply awesome.

looks unbeleivable.....................

Greg,
    In keeping with what everyone else has been saying on this thread, that boat is beautiful. It is a true credit to the riptide guys. great ideas in there too. obviously from someone who has spent plenty of time chasing reefies - thanks for sharing.
    steve

Hi Greg,

It is great watching the building process with any plate boat. Stepping everyone through the process as you have done is very educational and spawns plenty of ideas for anyone else looking to embark on a similar project. Please keep the pictures coming!!!! It would be great to see some photos of the cabin configuration. Being a boat designed primarily for fishing, my most obvious question is why did you not go with the centre cab and walk around deck? Is there a particular aspect to that design that you do not like? Secondly, for those of us who will one day build a similar boat when we have the money, what size shed (what height) do we need to house a boat of that size? Also I hope those bollards hold their shine after a good dose of salt spray.

Thanks again,

Matt.

Ahhh!

Only 25 more years of work then I will be allowed to buy one of these as my retirement boat! Until then the 5m centre console will have to do.

The boat is just awesome wouldn't be surprised if some of the blokes on here just walk into the factory and say that they want one exactly like that which I guess is the highest compliment you can be paid.

Keep the piccy's coming

Nathan

what, Polished bollards???!!!! and you reckon i'm a poser???!!!! mate, ya's have got too much tim eon your hands (Wish i'd a thought of it first!!!!)

Thanks for the comments guys. Riptide have gone well beyond my expectations and shows the fantastic workmanship that a small bunch of guys can achieve. You soon realise that it's not just about banging out another boat to them but they truely want to make it your own custom boat that will suit your needs. Riptides pricing also makes it a very attractive package but such qaulity does require a lengthy waiting period but it's definately well worth it.

Craig
    Thanks for your comments and yes it would be getting close to 3 or 4 years since we last beach launched at DI as that nasty beach dump was just getting to dangerous with no access into that lagoon area. I see over that past few months it's now possible to once again launch into the lagoon on low tide. Going out the bar is a lot easier although the distance from the ramp to the bar is just over 20km each way and 37km from the ramp to the DI lagoon which adds alot extra onto the trip. As you would know there's something really special about launching at DI and I really miss that. I'm still keen to launch the new rig off the beach up there in the not to distance future just to get that feeling back like old times.

Macca
    Good to see you liked the boat as you will be fishing out of it mate. Made that seat at the back just for you (so when you pull another big red before the comp like last year it's an easy push out the back) Good comments about Dave mate and not enough praise can be given to Dave for his boat building ability. What helps also is that he is a genuine nice bloke who loves fishing like the rest of us. Same goes for his Dad russ and young Stu who make up a great team.

Matt
    Your question about building a cuddy cab over a centre cab is one that many ask. I believe the advantages of a cuddy far out weight those of a walkaround for the following reasons.

Taking a wave over the front of cuddy cab see's the water run off around the cab whilst with a centre cab you can take on board a very large volume of water which is not a good situation to be in.

The extra room in the bunk area can be a bonus with a cuddy but the full width of the seating area in the cab is where you notice it the most and you can even have a third person placed between the seats in rough or normal conditions. The door way in cuddy is usually in the middle of the cab while a walkaround often have them well off centre or more so in front of the passenger seat which makes it a pain to get in and out of the cab.

The extra protection of the full width cab is proabally the biggest bonus while fishing in crappy condtions, at night or winter fishing. You can lean against the gunnels while fishing and the weather goes around the cab and past you with out feeling much at all but in a walkaround you have that space between the gunnels and cab that allows the weather to come in full contact with you while fishing. The full width cab can also give alot better shade off the wide hardtop oppossed to smaller centre cab top. Some centre cabs have a wide roof area anway so this may not be an issue on all centre cabs.

Anchoring can be an aspect that makes the walkaround a better design but having been up the front of a walkaround to work the anchor it can be dangerous , wet and also lack viewing during the dark. In a lot of cases and probally more so with cuddys an anchor box is used from inside the boat which makes for a cluttered deck. This is why we have built the anchor system into a box that slides in and out from under the seat box to eliminate clutter on the deck. Makes for easy work when anchoring from inside the cab as well.

The only other advantage I can see of a centre cab is being able to quickly navigate your way around the boat when hooked up to pelagics. This can still be done pretty easily from a cuddy cab as well and with the massive gunnels on the Riptide it would be done with ease. I suppose it depends on how serious a mackerel fishermen one can be but a centre console would be the fair better option in this instance.

This is just my opinion but Riptide were also telling me that a good majority of the boats being built now are full cabs as requested by the customer.

p.s Matt I will get some pics of inside the cab soon.

Rhys
    Thought you might like the bling bollards. There's nothing stopping you doing yours mate but my advice is don't do it. Although it would kinda match your Harley then mate. Speak to you soon.

Once again thanks for the comments guys and I will keep the pics coming.

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by Reefmaster; 27-02-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Greg,

all your comments ring true about cuddys/half cabs over walkarounds. A good anchor from the cockpit system helps no end in making a cuddy the best choice.

Some pics of the battery comparments which are accessed through the hinged door in bottom middle section via slide out cradles. These are very solid and will handle the weight with ease. This gives for a very flat clean look on the inside of the transom for something unique.
    Last edited by Reefmaster; 03-03-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Slide out anchor box which will be hidden with a hinged door. Note the top right side of the frame work for the door has a scolloped corner. This allows for the hinged door to be closed with the rope running out the door when it has been tied off on the front bollard after retrieval.

Aluminum dash cover which has four tags that go through the top and bottom of the dash which will be pad locked from inside the cabin to cover the flush mount electronics when left unattended. The cabin will have a lockable door also.
    Last edited by Reefmaster; 03-03-2008 at 09:15 PM.

rear wing style set up on the hardtop for aireals and also a radar in the future. Anchor light will go up there until raydome is purchased sometime in the future.

That looks more like a rear spoiler you Bevan