Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: CruiseCraft Appreciation Thread

Re: CruiseCraft Appreciation Thread

I noticed that it only has one seat visible. Do you like to stand when driving? Most days I would prefer to not have a seat
    How long did it sit in the water for that damage to occur?

You are a brave man to take on a challenge like that but the results look great!

Cheers
    Chris

The 685 Explorer is a fantastic boat and the family love it. The Yammie 250 is quiet, smooth, economical and powerful. I visited the factory and the attention to detail and obvious pride in the product of the Nichols family is very reassuring to me. Very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Angla View Post
    I noticed that it only has one seat visible. Do you like to stand when driving? Most days I would prefer to not have a seat
    How long did it sit in the water for that damage to occur?

You are a brave man to take on a challenge like that but the results look great!

Cheers
    Chris
    Angla, the drivers seat was removed for better access while working on dash and controls. It was underwater for about 6hrs until salvaged most of the ageing was from neglect from previous owner.

Any of you guys got a suzuki on your boat? I just bought a 685 Explorer with twin 115 Suzis on a Dunbier alloy trailer, been out 3 times. Last trip I did was a 350km round trip to a reef out off Mackay. I took along 3 x 25l jerries and topped up with these after the first 135km leg. The fuel gauge only came up to half full after this, had me worried. The suzukis had been only burning around 24ltrs/hr on previous trips. The first leg only took 2.25hrs so I estimated the consumption to be around 70 litres alowing for a bit extra weight, seas were flat. The jerries should have brought the tank up near full at least. Anyhow the point I am trying to make is can you trust the suzuki fuel gauge? I worked out when the gauge is well under 1/4 full my tank is still holding 80 odd litres. Trusting the gauge is to unnerving. I had asked the dealer to fit a fuel flow to both engines and this is to be displayed on my Lowrance HDS-5x sounder but they never had all of it together before they sent the boat up. I have not got a clue as to how to set it up. But the only way I can be sure of fuel consumption, is to know exactly how much the donks are burning per hour and I can work out the most economical rev range. The suzis purr at 4500RPM pushing the CC at around 30MPH, I was a bit hasty in the flat seas pushed them to 5100RPM and 35MPH. It is not an issue for short trips, the tank holds 300 ltrs but out of Mackay to get to decent reefs 300K is the norm. Thanks any feed back would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Midgyfisher; 26-01-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spell error

Hi Midgy, mate I have the 685 OS, but it has the same 300L tank, and would have the same tank sender regardless of engine make (I have a yammy). When fairly new I completely drained my tank a few times and (with the help of a 2nd person when filling) noted how many litres filled with each ‘step up’ in the fuel gauge. I probably did this 3 times over 6 months and each time it was very close, plus it always correlated closely to what litres the fuel monitor(s) said I had used etc. With ~247L filled into the tank it showed full, and below ~27L the first bar was blinking – this is usable fuel. Attached is the full data for my system – OR – at least what it used to be!!

However, up at 1770 last October it suddenly went out of wack, and scared the cr@p out of me as I thought I was running out of fuel. It now needs at least 60L before it shows 1 bar, and 90L+ before it shows 2 etc (10 bars in total). Haven't filled it to full since, so not sure what reads when full now.

I am told that there are some different calibration settings in the new digital types of fuel gauges (to suit senders of differing resistances), however haven’t actually gone looking through the yam manual myself. The Zuke might have calibration settings too, so check out your manual.

Seeing as it is now nearly Feb I’d better get off my butt and check my manual out too, or otherwise re-calibrate!
    cheers
    PS. Nice rig!

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Blue View Post
    The 685 Explorer is a fantastic boat and the family love it. The Yammie 250 is quiet, smooth, economical and powerful. I visited the factory and the attention to detail and obvious pride in the product of the Nichols family is very reassuring to me. Very happy!
    Hi Martin, she looks good in blue. What prop did you end up with in the end? I see you have been getting amongst some fish too, well done. I hope to get out this w'end - been a long time between fishing trips for me .
    cheers
    Brendon

Thanks gofishin. My gauge is not a digital, it is just like a car fuel gauge with full line 3/4 full 1/2 and so on. That is what I am finding a problem. Does your tank only take 247 litres? If so that is interesting also. Maybe i should siphon the fuel out and then re add it noting the gauge, however the attitude of the vessel on trailer would be different than in water I would reckon. Depending on where the sender is located on the tank , I am thinking this may affect the gauges position. This way at least I could know exactly how much fuel the tank does take , because the dealer was good enough to give me a tank of fuel ( be it E10) I have not run it dry and filled it completely. Thanks for the info though.

Hi Brendon, I ended up with the Yammie 19 pitch prop. It will hit 5900 rpm, is quicker than the 17 and acceleration and hole shot is still good. I fitted trim tabs and am very happy with the boats performance. From previous posts I know you have a solas 4 blade prop but I have never tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgyfisher View Post
    ...Does your tank only take 247 litres?...
    Midgy, no, 247L is what it takes (took!) to show 10 bars (full) on the gauge. Fill it to the 2nd /3rd click/blow-back and it’s up around 280+, and although I don’t persist past this point, I’d say you could get 300 in it if you tried/wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgyfisher View Post
    ...Maybe i should siphon the fuel out and then re add it noting the gauge, however the attitude of the vessel on trailer would be different than in water I would reckon. Depending on where the sender is located on the tank , I am thinking this may affect the gauges position..
    yes, then at least you would know roughly what you had in the tank. For the correct attitude when filling I used an inclinometer, but a ½ full plastic bottle (2L milk bottle is a good option), laying on its side, with some nikko marks (when boat is in the water) will tell you what attitude to have her when filling. Just put the bottle back in the same place on the boat when at the servo . On the trailer on pretty level ground my tub has the same attitude as in the brink, which made calibration easy for me.

I haven’t removed the floor/tank cover, but know the sender is somewhere in the forward half of the tank as the gauge drops when you jack the bow up.
    Cheers
    PS. siphon out (use one fuel pickup line out of the tank, or filter outlet) and calibration is a good excuse to get rid of the E10, or most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Blue View Post
    Hi Brendon, I ended up with the Yammie 19 pitch prop. It will hit 5900 rpm, is quicker than the 17 and acceleration and hole shot is still good. I fitted trim tabs and am very happy with the boats performance. From previous posts I know you have a solas 4 blade prop but I have never tried one.
    Sounds like the 19 is right on the money Martin. Yep, the current 4 blade continues to impress. I have another 4 blade to try when time & weather permits, so that will be interesting.
    cheers
    Brendon

you'll find the fuel sending smack bang in the middle of the tank. When you raise the bow, the fuel goes to the back of the tank, thus showing via the fuel gauge that there is less fuel in the tank than actually is.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Just to add again to this thread.
    Had the need to contact the boys at CC as I was needing some info on putting a through hull transducer in the boat.
    The info and help from Kevin Nichols was second to none and that is almost 7 years after buying the boat.
    Try getting that out of Quintrex etc....
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Similar story to Heath's - phoned CC week before last looking for info on an '82 CC Rover. Spoke to Kevin Nichols who explained a few things over the phone & kindly followed up with 2 pdf's by email within the hour. Very professional & helpful.

cheers, HR
    'Hard work never killed anyone. But why risk it?'

Gofishin, That is what I thought I was not getting 300 in the tank I tried holding the nozzle away from the inlet and just tapping the fuel in a little at a time and it was taking it with no overflow, but it is going to take a while to get 25 odd litres in this way. Think I will always take a extra jerry instead. Thanks for the info has been a great help. Now if this stupid ex cyclone would piss off ,a fishin i will be. Cheers Midgy.

Have a similar issue with mine. I go the 240l tank but guage only ever shows 190l at the most. Next step is to go gofishin's way and empty the tank. Theres every chance when the tank was filled initially they didnt callibrate the control guages properly.