Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A lures true value!

Re: A lures true value!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

I Finally get a chance to get back on line (Sydney office) - talk about withdrawrals

Great to see the thread progressing with some good info & ideas!

Matts modifications to the X Rap are similar to what I tried on my last Mondy trip with just a couple of variations
    1 - my wire (coated) runs through the sacrificial split at the rear anchor point. A flemmish eye is used at the treble before the wire is crimped - the treble extends around 1cm further behind the rear of the lure
    2 - I used a tiny elastic band at the rear of the lure to keep the wire close to the lures body to reduce foul ups of the treble in the wire!

This set up worked - with no noticeable effect on the lures action - ( the lure still suspended with the lighter coated wire)
    3 fish were hooked - 1 landed & 2 lost (bricked & gill raked) - but the hooks held :smiley:
    A little bit more work will go into it - but its certainly worth working on

Chris
    Good to hear they still work modded like this, pity to have to do it, But it should save having to retire a lure after a fish.

Got a pic of your set up?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post
    Good to hear they still work modded like this, pity to have to do it, But it should save having to retire a lure after a fish.

Got a pic of your set up?

Matt
    Yeh Matt - They worked

wont be able to put up a photo till I get back to Brissy in two & a half weeks .... but will

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thumbs up Re: A lures true value!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    How could you take any offence when you openly show everyone the gazillion unopened lures in your boat .......... gotta be known as a Daryl purchase :wink:

Chris
    No offence taken mate, :wink:

I had to chuckle having just put in an order for more barra tackle and as you say most of them are unused. :tongue:

It is a bit like the old All Bran! You don't have to need more lures to buy more lures because if you buy more lures you will never need them :rolleyes:

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

When it comes to barra lures - Is it a case of size matters ?

I know I have a preference for 100 - 120mm placcies & HBs but have had at times instant success when changing up ( super size me) ...... Maybe its a case of when the fish are not active & something larger (worth the energy expended) passes by - a barra will have a go at it! (XR14s & 6" Storm Suspending shads come to mind for this winter ........ lures that can be worked slowly & subtly)

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

When times are tuff I tend to down size, working on the "jelly bean" theory?

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    When times are tuff I tend to down size, working on the "jelly bean" theory?
    I've had success with the downsizing approach too - but a more noticeable result with the supersized approach! particularly at Mondy & Faust .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Wow this is a great thread keep it gong im enjoying all the rigging ideas and lures chioces .
    I must say i have 2 of my favorite hard bodys are the arafura (naths got me onto them) Great action . Not much needed to be done to get them to suspend .
    Killalure barra baits i have had great succes on them over the years so i alway keep using them .

I just wonder how many have every tried a cotton cordell super spot 4 inch model they where one of the best lures for barrra up north years and years ago .
    Im like darryl if there something out there thats new i got to have it bad or good idea not to sure hurts the bank balance . BUt i still use what has always worked other then the plastic side of things im just starting to use them alot more when ig et to do a trip but that last trip hooking 3 and landing one has made me lead towars them a bit more . But what from i gather the fish slow down in the cooler months so the lures with a rattle may be the go to bring them out off the woods works to get a strike .

Has anyone try the stiffy divers 130 range i have been keen to try them and see how they go i have used the boney and hooked up to then loose the beast beside the boat but i see they have a diver lure and looks really good

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    Wow this is a great thread keep it gong im enjoying all the rigging ideas and lures chioces .
    I must say i have 2 of my favorite hard bodys are the arafura (naths got me onto them) Great action . Not much needed to be done to get them to suspend .
    Killalure barra baits i have had great succes on them over the years so i alway keep using them .

I just wonder how many have every tried a cotton cordell super spot 4 inch model they where one of the best lures for barrra up north years and years ago .
    Im like darryl if there something out there thats new i got to have it bad or good idea not to sure hurts the bank balance . BUt i still use what has always worked other then the plastic side of things im just starting to use them alot more when ig et to do a trip but that last trip hooking 3 and landing one has made me lead towars them a bit more . But what from i gather the fish slow down in the cooler months so the lures with a rattle may be the go to bring them out off the woods works to get a strike .

Has anyone try the stiffy divers 130 range i have been keen to try them and see how they go i have used the boney and hooked up to then loose the beast beside the boat but i see they have a diver lure and looks really good
    Hi Simon

I like the Stiffy divers - with a little work , you can get then to suspend nicely.
    What I like about them is that they can be cranked down quickly - but their profile gives them that nice erratic action when twitched ....... also its not a chore to use (little resistance) - A great place to use them is on the edge of creek beds or deep weed edges when casting parallel ..... During last winter I would always have a rod rigged with one for fishing the deeper protected bays :smiley:

I could only imagine how many barra have been caught on barra baits & Arafuras - they certainly were a staple over many years - along with the Classic 120 & Viper ........ & probably still are ! - Personally I feel that these lures were primarily designed for trolling & dont have the action when fished with the current casting techniques used ( twitch & pause - suspend) ...... not saying that they dont catch fish - but compare the trolling results to casting & you'll see where I'm coming from:huh:

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I did what brian does,and downsized the other day up the river,after having the 2 good sessions and arriving to see a little bit of flow still there, i thru in the usual x12s,arafuras,slickies in 100 and 110mm for 45 minutes with no success i downsized to a tn60 jackall to see if any bass were there ,first cast into same area hook up to a 790mm barra.i must have put the other lures past it 20 times but the barra lolly was all it needed .a bit hairy though with those tiny trebles on it:smiley:

Feed back from Saturdays trip.
    Tied off, I threw a suspending X Rap for maybe 1/2 an hour for zilch, changed to a suspending B52 that sat higher in the water colum, and also has a more eratic action (I tend to work it harder on the twitch, more of a rip I spose). 3rd cast and its hammered by a very big fish, burnt in the memory bank, only saw the shoulders of that one.
    Bit later on, change of color from natural (Bunker) to fluro flash (Hot Steel) saw a fish in 2 casts, after maybe 30 casts prev with the natural. No change in location, technique, retrieve speed or lure type, just colour.

brian when changing to different colored lures is it a light thing or water clarity or do you just try them till one works in those hard sessions ,i find it difficult some times to work out when to do this

Me too Al...

When I do change colour I tend to be radical. For example with Xraps I will change from a natural colour like silver, olive or gold to a loud colour such as orange/yellow (hothead) or bright green (clown)....

Seems to work on occasion...

Al, I dunno mate. Like most, in dirty water I go fluro, clear water I go natural.
    The Hot Steel is a compromise between the two I spose. It has that gold side, dark top, flash of orange fluro under.
    That fish really got Noel and I talking. Was it siting there all along and not interested till the colour change, was it sitting there all along and finally I annoyed it enough to trigger a response, was it just passing thru????????
    It was deep mouth hooked, lure going down head first, so it commited to the lure.
    Anyways, I now have a definate opinion on whether colour makes a difference.

Old pic, but dont see to many bait fish on the water with that colouring.
    That pig 119 Nath got a couple of weeks ago was on fluro (Clown I thunk) in clean water.
    I do so love it when they go down head first.

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    I did what brian does,and downsized the other day up the river,after having the 2 good sessions and arriving to see a little bit of flow still there, i thru in the usual x12s,arafuras,slickies in 100 and 110mm for 45 minutes with no success i downsized to a tn60 jackall to see if any bass were there ,first cast into same area hook up to a 790mm barra.i must have put the other lures past it 20 times but the barra lolly was all it needed .a bit hairy though with those tiny trebles on it:smiley:

dont worry i have beefed the cotton cordells hooks up size 1 treble on the rear and size 2 on the front :grin: