422. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squigies

119 28.20%
  • Gulp

303 71.80%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

Re: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

i dont really class Gulp as a soft plastic. its more of a bait because u dont even have to move it and fish will eat it so there is no skilled involved in it. squidgies take a more talented angler. thats what i reckon any way.

Quote Originally Posted by traviso182 View Post
    i dont really class Gulp as a soft plastic. its more of a bait because u dont even have to move it and fish will eat it so there is no skilled involved in it. squidgies take a more talented angler. thats what i reckon any way.
    Sorry mate but that theory is way off. Most squidies are also scented and can be fished like bait as well,. At the end of the day, its what gets you the best strike rate that matters and stationary plastics don't perform as well. Working the plastic, whether it be gulp or squidjie, will just about also produce better results.

My preference is definitely gulps, as squidies smell too much like aniseed, and gulps have magic juice.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Quote Originally Posted by rogersto View Post
    Personally I reckon they're the biggest con-job and rip-off I have ever come across in my whole life. I've yet to hook any kind of fish on a gulp or powerbait, I "invested" some of my hard-earned money in jig-heads and packs of gulps and powerbaits, plus a couple of DVD's - one being BCF's Fishin' Tips on Snapper/Bream/Flathead, which has some good flathead tips, shot on location at the Gold Coast's own broadwater, and the other DVD being Berkley's soft plastics disc with that guy and his boat "Full tilt" reeling in fish after fish from the beach, snags, estuaries and shallow reef.

I'd like to see somebody in real life cast one of those rip-off mongrels into the water and get a hook-up because I'm buggered if I can get a fish to hook up on one of these little buggers.................................

Rip-off !!
    Mate, I am yet to go out and not catch something on them. I fish the tweed regularly and will always catch a flattie on a 3'" gulp pumkinseed minnow. Yes, they are expensive, but to the people that don't have time to collect bait at low tide and would like to spontaneously go fishing and know they have bait on hand, then plastics are worth the money.

I have just about stopped using all my other lures since getting into plastics and can say they are really worth the money. I bought all these expensive bass lures which IMHO really are inferior to a well presented biodegradable plastic.

Good luck with it all.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

You tell em Roydsy...... Mind you my goto lure for the bass at the mo' is a black Tilsan minnow that is still catching them dispite being split down the middle and needing to be re-aligned/ tuned after each fish.

Go the gulps when fishing the inshore/Bay reefs and the squidgies when your looking for a delicate presentation. I reckon the squidgies are a bit more supple and "work" better with less weight. There are others that are even better but we're talking Squidgy vs Gulp here.

cheers, roo.

not really sure iv used and got both but if u ask me they produce the same thing so in other words lunch

How ya living?

Quote Originally Posted by roydsy View Post
    Sorry mate but that theory is way off. Most squidies are also scented and can be fished like bait as well,. At the end of the day, its what gets you the best strike rate that matters and stationary plastics don't perform as well. Working the plastic, whether it be gulp or squidjie, will just about also produce better results.

My preference is definitely gulps, as squidies smell too much like aniseed, and gulps have magic juice.
    this was originally about gulps v squidgies & has ended up comparing plastics so his theory is not way off at all...

BUT.. gulps aren't plastic, so shouldn't really be considered when making plastic comparisons.
    Gulp! is not plastic and is 100% biodegradable. If left in water it will turn into tiny particles within 6-9 months. It's a porous material that sponges up the Gulp scent and disperses through the water at 400 times the rate of any other scented bait. The water flows through the bait because it is porous. With any plastic bait, including PowerBait, the water cannot permeate the plastisol so it can only touch the exterior surfaces of the bait.

One other notable difference between Gulp! and other scented baits is that Gulp! is water based. It moves very well through the water and attaches more easily to the sensor receptors in a fish's smelling and tasting organs.
    from the horses mouth..

Quote Originally Posted by oztrav View Post
    i dont like the keepers on squidgy jig heads they tend to rip up the plastic

ive kept gulps in their opened packet but closed for 2 months and still used them they still maintained their consistency and shape and swimming action

i had the used ones in a glad resealable bag some with jigheads in still and some not they were still useable although the jig head got a bit ugly on the keepers when the plastic was striped from it

hehehe i was reading thru the thread thinking all i could add was that i like the squidgy keepers cos they hold the plastic firmly.yeah they do rip after a few bites or fish but i remove the placky from the jig head,bite 5mm or so off the placky,whack it back on and boom your back in action.
    good thread to see how differnetly everybody does things.ned.

gulps for me

Dunno havent tried either ill let you know in a month. Russ get your fat Ass back to work
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Gulps on trout, squidgys in salt
    Reidy

If you're giving away those nasty non-catching gulps and powerbaits ROGERSTO, I'll take them off your hands
    Had a blast on the coral trout, squire and mackerel on the weekend at Hervey Bay using the Gulps and the Squidgy Flick Baits.

For me it depends on what iam fishing for When it comes to Flathead i will use both the large squidgy Fish are an awesome lure .When it comes to my main target Bream gulp 100%.

Gulp on everything in Morton Bay and Squdgies in the rivers for flathead

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellson View Post
    i use them all with no real preferance for any...
    they all work on their day.....i just swap around untill i see whats working....
    but in saying that i have no real preferance , i find myself using more powerbaits than the others....

charlie bouy ::.. those nitros are great jig heads..so are the squidgey finesse range....

there all bloody good fun to use......

Maxi
    I'm with you Maxi, I use them all, they all work even cheap ones if the fish are on the chew. Snapper are the ones, they hit anything almost. Gulps are good but too expensive. I have a bucket load of plastics (buy them when on special) and have had a ton of fun on almost all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rogersto View Post
    Personally I reckon they're the biggest con-job and rip-off I have ever come across in my whole life. I've yet to hook any kind of fish on a gulp or powerbait, I "invested" some of my hard-earned money in jig-heads and packs of gulps and powerbaits, plus a couple of DVD's - one being BCF's Fishin' Tips on Snapper/Bream/Flathead, which has some good flathead tips, shot on location at the Gold Coast's own broadwater, and the other DVD being Berkley's soft plastics disc with that guy and his boat "Full tilt" reeling in fish after fish from the beach, snags, estuaries and shallow reef.

I'd like to see somebody in real life cast one of those rip-off mongrels into the water and get a hook-up because I'm buggered if I can get a fish to hook up on one of these little buggers.

A month ago, I started using these SP's, and for the first time in my whole life (I'm 42 and have been fishing since I was a teenager), I've gone two weeks without catching ANYTHING. Nothing. Not even something undersize to chuck back in the water.

The past two weeks, I've gone back to pumping yabbies, and take both my 12ft rod with the usual #4 mustad long shank hook and sinker, plus the 9ft'er rigged with a suitably sized jighead.

The breakwall at Tallebudgera river is great because when the water's clear you can see the fish in there on the beach side. Mostly Bream.

Cast a live yabby in there and you can see the fish moving around it and smashing into it. Cast one of these little snots in there and the fish largely ignore it. Yes the occasional Bream has a nibble at the tail, but that's mostly the long and short of it, as you can see from the pic.

Cast live yabbies, or pilchards into the surf and you pull out fish every now and then. There seems to be a lot of undersize bream around at the moment, but one things' for sure, gulps and powerbaits aren't attracting them beyond a nibble on the tail.

In one morning, I've had an entire pack (14) of these little snots wasted with the tails chewed off by bream casting into the surf off the Tally river breakwall.

These things are a complete waste of time in the Estuaries because the little Toadfish absolutely love them. Yabby island further up the tally river, toss one into the edge of the sandbank where I usually see a few flathead lies at the low tide, and bigger fish ignore them whilst toadies and little whiting smash into them and mincing up their tails.

Shaky shads, grubs, mullet (pictured), pink white pumpkin seed, makes no difference.

As you reel it back in and you can see it jiggling around in the water, they are chased by swarms of little whiting and toadfish, who both nibble into the gulp's tail.

Go figure. I'm doing everything the guys on the DVD say, three jerks, reel, three jerks, reel. Or with the shaky shad, just reel it in slowly along the bottom, but the past four weeks have seen me chuck $80 down the gurgler buying these little rip-off mongrels.

On the Tally River rockwall, I'd switch rods, put a yabby on the hook, cast out, and get nibble after nibble and a hook-up every now and then. Then I'd switch rods with one of these gulps on there, and it's nibble after nibble, no hook-up, just lost tails and wasted money ($9.95 a pack).

Rip-off !!
    thanks for your amusing post, but i know excatly how you feel. I took some 2years or so to get the hang of using them, different types, different style of retrieve, watched all the videos and spent heaps of dough. But now i use plastics exclusively here in Hervey bay (everywhere in fact), but the missus still uses bait and a handline.
    i outfish her (except for whiting) any day..

so don't give up they are a ton of fun when you get among them. and try some cheaper ones, not just squidgies or berkleys. just recently nailed a 9.5kg GT and landed him on 8lb braid and been broken up wiht heaps of them all on plastics.
    not sure where you are but i have fished sunshine coast, moreton and now Hervey bay.

My advice?? for what it is worth, go for flathead to get a couple under your belt and then you'll get the hang of it...
    Russell