• Mono

22 14.19%
  • Both depending on water depth?

32 20.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bait bottom bouncing line type

bait bottom bouncing line type

gday,
    i know there is a heap of info around but I have noticed some people swear by using braid for reefies and some prefer to keep it simple and use mono. Both have their disadvantages and advantages. I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts and opinions regarding this with a focus on extended bottom bouncing trips on coral reefs such as the swains and similar. sorry wrong area mods. please move. cheers

Cheers

Re: bait bottom bouncing line type

For me It's simple
    Braid for bottom bashing-No stretch,direct contact with bait in deep water.
    Mono for floatlining-sinks so you don't get a belly in the line as the bait floats down once again giving a more direct contact with the bait.

Braid for everything for me

braid for me as well

Braid mainline and at least 10 meters of mono as leader.

Also...

mono to 40 meters deep...... then go braid.

Deep offshore.......... 80lb braid............. 60lb mono and 80lb leader / paternoster.

yep, I'm all over the shop....

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

80lb braid with 80lb or 100 lb leader about 2 metres long on a good overhead.

The leader is just so I get a good paternoster that doesnt tangle.

100lb mono on a handline, but not often.

I try a few different things but always come back to this.

I dont do much bottom bashing these days - but I can still remember the day that I first used braid in 110m of water .......... from that day on it was bye bye mono. It was a real eye opener being able to feel every touch .
    I found that 5M of mono combined with a softer rod improved the hook retention ,

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

same as lucky phil mono to 30m then braid. I like the little bit of stretch you get from mono in the shallow water. in the deep water you get the same effect from belly in the braid

Offshore 50 lb braid - 60lb mono leader 4 to 5 meters to 40lb paternoster. This way when I snag the bottom the paternoster breaks and nothing else.

Or if Im getting busted off
    Offshore 50 lb braid - 80lb mono leader 4 to 5 meters to 80 to 100 lb paternoster, but I have a short length to the sinker that's only 40 lbs
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

same as coucho but with a 2 metre 80lb flourocarbon leader on 50lb braid.

bloody hell you blokes fish heavy while bottom bashing..i use 30lb braid with 30lb mono leader prob around the 5mtr long..for kingies and aj's i use 50lb braid and 60lb leader approx 15mtrs long as for the stretch factor...on my floatlining rod i am using 20lb braid and 30lb leader...

Was thinking the exact same thing Rosco, I run the same as you but I just floatline with 30lb mono.

You mono guys don't get it.....

you'll find that having 60lb braid on a nice big spin outfit, can cast a 40gm slug right under the friggin boat ( and dragged upwards ) that just pinged you within 10 meters at 20knots... when there are only the 2 of you in sight, 70 k's offshore. If he doesn't have a line cutter ( like the Hondas ) he'll find his prop bushes a tad worse for wear. Not that I'd do anything like that, just heard it on the internet, I did !!!

I would fish lighter braid, but my eyes cannot see anything under 50lb to tie rigs...

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Depends a lot on type of country your fishing. In fern country you can fish lighter because you can let the fish run, but in alot of reef areas like the Swain Reefs where you have to" Hold 'em or lose 'em " we now use 100lb braid and 150-200lb leader about 2metres of. We still get the hooks busted off the paternoster rigs when we happen upon a nest of xos reds. Last trip 3 of us got "smoked' 3 times each on monsters , even using 200lb leader.Not much fun hanging on for all your worth when the big biteys come in to play though. Sometimes that line just won't cut and braids too expensive too cut off at our end, so you just hold on for the ride. It pays too keep a towel and a donger handy too bust off if you get some slack. Yea-ha...Loz.

Depends on the depth and bottom.

If some of the crew get snags and busted off, I get the deck winch out 300metres of 200lb mono (rolls up a lot better on the winch) If I get to wanting to see what the ^%$# is giving us grief down there, I get the stainless wire out, usually about the 500lb mark, out with the crimp kit and wire it up with a 12/O and a whole fish.

No prizes for guessing what happens next, usually around the 6 foot long mark.

Whoohoo, a lot of fun but nothing in the box