Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer handling traits

Seafarer handling traits

looking for suggestions from vagabond owners.

i have a vagabond as the thread suggests that I've owned for nearly 6 months
    it's a 2002 hull with the 190 litre tank and a 2009 225 Suzuki 4 stroke
    im stoked with the boat but have noticed other similar sized boats coping better with mild to rough conditions when travelling
    my main concern is launching off waves when driving head first into medium chop the boat handles a following sea perfect but hates going across confused water and directly into it.
    My thoughts are that the boat is obviously a heavy build with a very solid transom and the motor is the largest you can fit , this combined with a 190 litre fuel tank that is mounted nearly hard against the back of the boat it is causing an imbalance and causing it to drag its bum ( note: it does not have tabs at this stage ) the boat hangs it's nose for a while in a following sea even with very little up trim and as mentioned when you turn into it it can launch the nose to much
    does anyone have a vagabond with this size outboard and fuel tank location or similar who is experiencing this ?

im wondering is it worth sliding the fuel tank forward to re balance the boat
    or fit tabs or both
    am concerned with moving the tank forward as these boats do love to dip there nose in rough weather when going slow but as described it is very ass heavy although doesn't look that way when sitting still
    all comments welcome
    just looking for a more relaxed lower planing speed for rough weather I guess
    Cheers
    ps , chimo I'd like your comments as I noticed you owned one for a while and possibly still do

Re: Seafarer handling traits

Mate I used to own 2 vagabonds,one was late 90's model with 175 evinrude(no tabs) & one a 2001 model with f200 four stroke.(tbs fitted ,same hull still)Both had 250ltr tanks & theres no doubt that the lighter 175 rude (around 100kgs at the time )was a much better performing boat.The vag was designed to run twins so I thought when I bought a new one the 270ish kg yammie would have been the go plus it was the release of the first 200 four stroke.Of the 4 seafarers i owned they all liked to dip there nose in a short sea due to not much buoyancy up front even keiths(banana)23ft voyager used to.I'd maybe try a four blade prop for a bit of transom lift...try solas & if its no fix they usually will send you other props to try or refund your coin....failing that before moving tank forward put 80-100kg(fill esky with water)just behind helm seats mid ship & see if that helps.I'm no expert ..just my thoughts
    Definantly put tabs on too as there subject to wind list & you can trim it so it cuts better.
    I think there a great boat everthing is a compromise...Not a lot of boats will come close to a seafarer in a following sea...
    I don't miss when your idling back to a mark on a cold winters morning ,its blowing 15knts head sea ...you look down at the gps then wooshka...a bucket of cold water comes through the clears...keeps you awake

Seafarer handling traits

Jason is on the money re 4 bld plus tabs. I would also take a serious look at motor height. Even if it is at an OK height now, the 'right' 4 bld should allow you to go up one more hole which will also help drop the nose.

A mate used to have a 'short cockpit' 6.25m boat with F200 6cyl yam (max HP, max weight). 'Statically' the weight was no problem at all, but when underway the boat performed quite average in my mind - and it already had tabs. Found the perfect 4 blade which made an amazing difference, then raised the donk 1 hole which helped even further. Was a completely different boat!
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAAVagPatID01.jpg

Motors lifted up, foils fitted, tabs fitted but still with 3 blade props? (20" pitch)

So we three all agree

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks gofishin / soulfish
    I have heard about solas props making a difference and will investigate this and motor heights
    the esky idea is good but already proven when more people stand at the front so being able to move between 70 - 80 kg from the rear to the centre should make a nice difference
    ive spoken to my glass guy and he demonstrated a fair bit of common sense about how we can do it temporarily and be able to adjust it or put it back where it started
    I think balancing the boat up can only be positive
    the only down side I can see and its really more of a bonus is that I may be able to use more of the up trim
    soulfish I know what you mean about the cold water through the clears so im looking at a carefully crafted hard top over winter to avoid unwanted showers
    I wonder if anyone has first hand experience of owning the vagabond then installing tabs ( and what did they install etc )
    soulfish if you had the 250 lt tank does that mean no kill tank at the front
    if I can sort the balance I reckon the boat wont wander as much when going at low to moderate speeds as its shoulders will be in the water
    thanks for yr comments looking forward to fixing this as I love everything about the boat and plan to keep it for some time
    cheers jon

Tabs transformed mine, but mine is a much earlier vintage.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Seabourne View Post
    Thanks gofishin / soulfish
    I have heard about solas props making a difference and will investigate this and motor heights
    the esky idea is good but already proven when more people stand at the front so being able to move between 70 - 80 kg from the rear to the centre should make a nice difference
    ive spoken to my glass guy and he demonstrated a fair bit of common sense about how we can do it temporarily and be able to adjust it or put it back where it started
    I think balancing the boat up can only be positive
    the only down side I can see and its really more of a bonus is that I may be able to use more of the up trim
    soulfish I know what you mean about the cold water through the clears so im looking at a carefully crafted hard top over winter to avoid unwanted showers
    I wonder if anyone has first hand experience of owning the vagabond then installing tabs ( and what did they install etc )
    soulfish if you had the 250 lt tank does that mean no kill tank at the front
    if I can sort the balance I reckon the boat wont wander as much when going at low to moderate speeds as its shoulders will be in the water
    thanks for yr comments looking forward to fixing this as I love everything about the boat and plan to keep it for some time
    cheers jon
    Jon ,no I didn't have storage compartment in front of tank.
    I forgot to add when I first launched the 4 stroke rig it felt much more ass heavy & ran a lot more bow up than my previous one...I fitted some transom wedges to get more negative trim that helped a lot....I think they were only 15 mm but that got the nose down more when trimmed in cutting slop.
    Do you have an anchor winch on the bow?....the weight of this plus anchor & chain will definantly have an affect on the boats performance...it might be better or worse..with or without.Every vag would ride different when different transom weights & load distribution are different..also engine breeds & importantly as brendon said PROPS.
    So it will be just trial & error..you'll get there but add the tabs for sure...i would own a vag or victory again if i wanted a boat in that size bracket its a shame they don't come with under floor ice boxes & hardtop with full glass ...it wouldn't matter when it dipped its nose then.

Hi John.... i have a victory with the same kg motor on the ass mine is a john/zuk 200 .. i too found it to be bum heavy when i first got it. Went down the trial and error road about 3-4 years ago i have done around 600hours in the 4 years owning this seafarer had a 5.5 vouge for 8 years before the vic. The vic has 180l fuel with 50l fresh water tank in front (don't always run with a full water tank).
    The first thing you need to do is add a set of trim tabs before playing with props/motor heights. Tabs will change the way the boats rides and give you the bum lift you are after. I fitted lenco 9x9 and made huge difference to ride but a bit more trim would of been good if i was to do it again i would fit the 9x12 . They don't have to be lenco but wouldn't go smaller than the 9x12. Lencos will go through your swim platform if you have them.

Iam running a ss3x16x20 prop. I then looked into 4 blades as 90% of my fishing is offshore and try get a bit more lift. Spoke to solas and they didn't do a 4 blade for suzuki. Have a read on the hull truth and all the yanks say the standard suzuki props run the best just need to find the right size for your needs you may have to get one cupped. So before i forked out $700 on a 18.5 prop I then played with motor height as my cav plate wasn't getting out of the water on the plane at wot..WOT 5600pm 74kmph running a SS 3x16x20 motor bolted through middle hole
    Went up one hole and picked up 200rpm Wot 5800rpm 74-76kmh and cav plate just skimming the surface perfect i thought. did 30-40hours at this height but the prop kept breaking out offshore with a bit of sea/swell. Dropped the motor back down to middle hole and haven't worried about playing with the smaller prop. At this height any trip in all sea conditions 3500-5200rpm will see me an average of 1km 1L fuel 3500-4000rpm is the sweet spot can get it down too 1.2k 1l in good conditions not the best on fuel .
    I have changed the pedestal style seat posts with the cruise craft style frame with slide under eskys. 72l under driver side as the seat is set lower to look through front screen under grab rail. the other is higher and has a 92l under seat and one of the rear wells is insulated aswell .
    Arrrrrr the water up the screen all seafarers do it ..cop at least one every winter in the short sharp westerly chop. I got my clears sail tracked to the top of my screen get rid of those press studs its money well spent no more wet dash or skipper.
    you will love the seafarer mate ....cheers mick
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Hi John
    As with Mick above. Got my victory fitted with 12x 9 tabs straight up. They are an absolute must
    Clears are sail tracked on.
    Same issues with prop blowing out at correct height on my suzi 175. Managed to get up a hole with 4 blader, and get rid of the ventilation. Still lower than ideal.
    I do have a solas four blade prop 4 x 15.25 x 20 which improved just about all the parameters discussed. Yesterday was 163 km in good conditions for 100 litres.
    My tabs are bennets through the duckboards, but can be done under the boards with short ram and modify the fulcrum point if necessary - see threads on here
    Cheers
    Brendan

I have twin 90 etc. Boat did something similar to what you described so I fitted Bennetts under step. Major improvement. Then played with height of motors eventually coming up two holes. Fuel use is around 1.2 to 1.3km /ltr Consistently. I never fill the cab with more than the tackle box and a clothes box. There is room for the kids to have a nap when they want. Even my 110 kg mate slept through a snapper/gummy session one night.
    I have always tried to keep the boat balanced and never had issues with water coming over the front. Maybe not out in the rough enough. But I'm aways trimming. Prefer to set motors at best running angle and work the tabs only adjusting motors when more trim is required.
    Must admit to being concerned about the nose dipping but haven't found it a real issue yet.

Cheers
    Stu

Blog Entries

Hi all I think this is a great thread as ive always been interested in a victory / vagabond took notice sunday when I saw victory near me going thru some wake wasn't that much different to most others couple of guys I know both run 175 suzi and say there spot on size for boat weight fuel etc also seen one yesterday at scarborough with custom built alloy trailer real nice bit of kit . Keep the info coming might be my next boat

Rod
    No doubt the weight of the Seafarer Vic and Vag hulls coupled with the bow shape works well with waves and wakes if your not doing silly speeds.

The value of trim tabs cannot be underestimated in that they keep the boats upright so the vee works.

Pre tabs on my Vag if the boat was not trimmed properly it was not uncommon to suffer solid shoulder impacts when crossing big Riv etc wakes as the Vee was not doing its thing.

Much more better now!

Cheers
    Chimo

Blog Entries

Thanks for info Chimo so even the twin rig vag needs tabs I was always led to believe the engine trim port or starboard was enough to get them running right but it would seem the tabs enhance that anyway which makes sense . Its funny how a lot of ppl don't want to add them but if they only knew the big difference they make more would convert cheers Rod

Thanks everyone really appreciate all the comments
    all the info Is consistent and very well researched by the sound of it
    I,ve had the boat out recently since asking the question and have noticed that the big Suzuki even with a fin fitted has the cav plate and fin underwater or at least hidden in solid spray but the engine is on its second highest hole so no doubt ill be trying it on the top hole or maybe wait until I fit tabs as this will increase lift in the rear and maybe fix the problem at the same time
    I notice all the time the v not working due to not being level and if I get a bit of air with a side wind it lands horribly wrong ( this is due to a number of reasons already discussed )
    so again TABS ASAP!!
    can someone tell me who the guru with seafarers is so I can discuss what to fit ie: lenco if they do a 9 wide by 12 long etc etc as these sound like the go
    10 x 12 might not fit but im happy to be corrected
    the idea of finding someone who regularly fits these things is just to save time and avoid mistake;s made in the past
    I was going to move the fuel tank but im waiting again till I fit tabs
    as for the water over the front I was out at north maria island just over a week ago in some ordinary conditions ( not terrible ) when I asked the 2 other guys in the boat to stand up the front for a change in weight distribution
    I was noticing how easy the nose dips in and then got side tracked talking about what I was about to do and why when my brother said shit and we looked forward at a couple of waves right on the bow that were big enough for the boat to slide down the face of and it dipped the nose in and a 2 - 3 inch sheet of water came over the bow up the screen ( no front clear fitted on this day ) and completely soaked us
    ( That's Tassie water for you very unpredictable ) this was at trolling speed !
    If the clears were in the bloody press studs would have let a lot in anyway , I have read a few of you have sailtracked the front but I'm sick to death of it as it happens nearly every trip tuna fishing
    so stay tuned as you will see a custom aluminium hardtop fitted over winter with full glass windows, it will be painted , carpet lined , shaped nicely to suit the boat and made to look chunky on all exposed edges to look very close to fiberglass, cant bloody wait and I believe I will be able to stand the front window up quite a bit straighter without looking like an add on and gain a lot of dash space while moving the whole roof slightly forward
    probably retain as much stainless as possible as the rest of the boat has quite a bit it just needs to be mounted correctly to avoid the obvious issues of stainless and aluminium together

like I said I cant bloody wait the canvas and clears need redoing and the stainless work is cracked so the money to fix that is just being rediverted into a better outcome
    ill be doing a template out of ply with the guy building it first so as soon as pics are available ill start posting for comments

Thanks again everyone keep the info coming
    im off to look for tabs
    cheers Jon

This is what 9 x 9 Lenco's look as fitted by Seafarer's Lindsay Fry at Mermaid Beach factory.

Cheers
    Chimo2008_01180280a.jpg2008_01180281b.jpg2008_01180282c.jpg2008_01180283d.jpg2008_01180284e.jpg2008_01180285f.jpg2008_01180286g.jpg