Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Braid for Bream on soft plastics - Sedona 1000 with Team Daiwa 1-3kg, 1-5 gram

Best Braid for Bream on soft plastics - Sedona 1000 with Team Daiwa 1-3kg, 1-5 gram

Hi all. Keen for some finesse breambo fishing. All my gear was too heavy, so I have collected some lighter gear - Shimano Sedona FD 1000 teamed with a 6 foot TD 1-3KG line rated and 1-5 gram lures.. I have extremely light jig heads but I need line. I have Sunline PE 8 braid on a heavier set up - in theory its 8-10 pound but I was told when I bought it a few years ago that it had the diameter of most 4 pound braids...dont know if that is right. All I know is that it is very fine and hard to tie knots in especially in low light!!! I wonder if that is small enough to do the trick?

Can anyone recommend a good line for my purpose? Also will a good 4 pound flurocarbon leader be the best bet? I like the idea of going very light and if I lose some too bad.

Cheers and thanks
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Best Braid for Bream on soft plastics - Sedona 1000 with Team Daiwa 1-3kg, 1-5 gr

G'day Ozscott - another light tackle fanatic here!
    I've experimented with dozens of lines, reels and rods, as I'm pretty much landbased these days, and always striving to maximise casting distance with ultralite softies. I primarily chase bream, trevally and flatties. My line of choice atm, is WTF Gliss - in 8 and 13lb strains. Not yet too sure what it actually breaks at, but haven't yet popped a fish through the rod - so I'll stick with it.
    Very, very, slippery, and casts extremely well with lighter jigheads. As yet...no windknots or guidewraps - something I've found repeatedly with sunline, powerpro and many others. They're probably very good lines when using a little more weight on the end, but for 1-3gms? Nope. I like the green for stealth, and the white or yellow for hi visibility usage.
    I generally use 6/8lb fluoro, with an fg knot with 26 wraps. Landbased, I need a little extra insurance! Have yet to experience one letting go. You'll find the fg on many websites, including this one. It's a bugger to learn, and tie correctly, but after 20-30 attempts, you get the hang of it, and can do it pretty easily. I sat down one afternoon with some spare spools of line, and persevered until I had it. I attach the jighead via a uni knot, and whilst purists will tell you that a loop knot is imperative, the fish don't seem to know that, and still happily chomp down on my lures!

My rod and reel of choice for this? A Daiwa Freams 2004, and a Crucis Aegis 7'8", 1-3kg rod. Absolutely superb. I'd also suggest that whilst your Sedona is more than adequate, you'll probably want to look at a longer rod - 7ft+ will give you a much greater casting distance.
    Regards,
    Rob.

Re: Best Braid for Bream on soft plastics - Sedona 1000 with Team Daiwa 1-3kg, 1-5 gr

Have a look at the 6lb Daiwa J-Braid...

Thanks gents. The rod will be used mostly from my yak and not my boat so i went 6foot versus the 7 foot 7 in model.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep. 6ft's all you need from a yak - and will have a better taper for yak work, too. So as you're limited by rod length, you'll want to maximise distance with your line. As I suggested, have a look at Gliss, or as Peter4 suggested, the Daiwa j braid is not too bad, either.

Thanks guys i might go 4lb main line and 4lb leader and see how that pans out.

So Gliss over Sunline for the braid and leader just Rock FC or similar?

Cheers

Looks like Gliss is 8 pound min but apparently very thin so i wqill go the 4kg. Cheers

Hi Ozscott. I'm using 6lb sunline super pe braid on a Symmetre 3000f with 10lb leader. It works a treat but probably better with lighter leader. Very smooth to cast and distance is not to bad. It is over 3 years old now and still feels like new. Easy to join using the albright knot.

Thanks mate. I think i might go the safe option. I read on Starlo's page that 4kg gliss is .1mm thin and a little prone to air knots impossible to get out...when i am yak fishing i dont want to tempt knots so despite how incredibly thin and slippery Gliss looks i think i should stick with Sunline PE at say 4 pound and 4 pound Rock FC.

Cheers

Sorry , forgot to add. No air knots as yet and no twisted line.

Thanks mate....swinging back to.....im not sure!!!

Cheers

Thanks again boys for your help. Of so I have ordered Gliss 8lb and Rock FC 4lb...giddy up! I have a selection of little flick baits and 2in grubs/crabs etc and 1/32 sown to 1/12 jig heads.

I have had a lot of success with tying braid to FC leader using my version of an imporved Albright where I do a loop with the FC and then start widing the braid from the looped end tightly one way for 10-15 turns heading towards the open end of the FC, then wind the braid back up the thing towards the loop end of the FC and feed the braid back through the little bit of FC loop left. I then wetten and pull tights and then do a single hitch on the FC tail and the braid tail and have never had a failure. Its a very small knot too so goes through guides eyes well.

I can try that on the Gliss, but I have read that some people have trouble with connection knots breaking well under the Gliss poundage or otherwise they slip. I have seen people do the Albright special and it slips apparently, but then again I havent seen anyone test the knot that I do.

Any recommendations for knots from those using the Gliss?

Many thanks
    Cheers

Blog Entries

Good luck with it Ozscott, half the fun is buying all the crap we think we need hahahahaaa.

I must admit I prefer the longer rod. I have a 7'6" Shimano Cranx 1-3kg outfit with a 1000 Symetre reel running 6lb Nanofil. Never had any real issue with wind knots and have landed some bloody nice fish without busting my 8lb leader (would go lighter if I was chasing bream). I fish mainly from the yak and find the extra length in the rod not only helps immensely for casting distance but also when a fish takes a run around and under the yak the extra length helps to ensure I get it around the nose without causing issues.

Good luck and hope you brain em on the silly string.

P.S - Cant recommend a knot for the Gliss as I havent used it but I have tried all sorts with the Nanofil and find the FG knot with 30 winds the best result. Very few issues at all.

Thanks Funchy. Appreciate that.

I have a 6 foot 6 TD rod that I have caught a heap of flatties on from the yak, and I can JUST put the butt between my toes and undo braid tangles around the tip...my Yak is only 2.4 long so that is the max length of I can easily do that with. I have some 6 foot Bass rods and I can work a fish around the front of the yak because the yak is short and fat.

I know I have to learn the FG (a mate put me onto it) but am putting it off!

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    ...my Yak is only 2.4 long so that is the max length of I can easily do that with.
    That 'splains it then :-D mine is 4.63M hahahahaaa

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I know I have to learn the FG (a mate put me onto it) but am putting it off!
    With all this wind around there's plenty of time.

I find this the best way but there are plenty of youtube vids on the matter. The lighter the line the more wraps you want.