Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHF required to have built in GPS?

VHF required to have built in GPS?

I was told by a vendor st the sanctuary cove boat show yesterday that as of next year all vhf sold in Australia will need to be a built in gps model (as in integrated aerial). I can’t seem to find any reference to this anywhere.

To be clear, I was told existing radios are fine, it is just the sale of new radios starting next year. The advice was to expect updates on many current models and consider holding off purchasing possible.

After thinking about this. I found it hard to believe, as many of the main players units would be no longer suitable.

Can any of the electronics guys confirm if this is correct???

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: VHF required to have built in GPS?

Can't say I have heard about it, but it's not such a big deal, most new units are that way now anyway.

VHF required to have built in GPS?

Quite A few of the units I was looking at don’t. I see standard horizon and icom have both recently brought out new integrated gps options. I had been looking at AIS Nmea2000 options. None of those come with built in gps, although can have external gps antennas (receivers?) connected.

The only logical reason I can think of would be to enable DSC calls - and - everyone would need to get a MMSI - and to do that you need to do a VHF operators course - and understand that hardly any coastguard or VMR units monitor those DSC calls.

So it would seem a bizarre requirement unless there are major changes afoot that have been kept pretty quiet.

I call BS on what you were told.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post

I call BS on what you were told.
    That is what I was thinking. But would be nice to gab me confirmed. Maybe I can send an email to icom au.

Nothing here

https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/-/media/M...heet.pdf?la=en

or, here

https://www.acma.gov.au/-/media/Numb...-pdf.pdf?la=en

You would think that either the State marine authorities or the national body responsible for marine communications and licensing both operators and sets would have some info published, but it appears not. At least, not in the obvious spots.

Anyway, I have just emailed AMCA to ask of they can throw any light on this “rumour”. Will post the reply when I get it.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks. I didn’t get that far, but was the next check. The seller had sold a lot of icom330g at the show and said they were released to meet the new requirement. The radio I was interested in was available but suggested it would be better to wait for gps models to be issued!

I see no reason the Australian government would legislate as such when they have no intention (as far as I know) of installing a VHF DSC network. It could be happening in the US and as such will have a flow on effect but I call bs too. More likely the vendor had bulk purchased the available Icom and was trying to move them or using it as a point of difference to get sales with less competition.

HE probably all mixed up. Its a requirement by Yachting Australia (or whatever they called this month) if you are racing in certain categories. Dont think its required by any other boat user as far as I am aware.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    HE probably all mixed up. Its a requirement by Yachting Australia (or whatever they called this month) if you are racing in certain categories. Dont think its required by any other boat user as far as I am aware.
    Sounds a lot more likely.

These comments makes a bit more sense.
    The vendor had sold all the GPS models (Icom M330G) by the time I was there, but it didn't matter as I was after a different model. They did offers a fair discount on full RRP, but not enough to prompt me to buy one just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I see no reason the Australian government would legislate as such when they have no intention (as far as I know) of installing a VHF DSC network. It could be happening in the US and as such will have a flow on effect but I call bs too. More likely the vendor had bulk purchased the available Icom and was trying to move them or using it as a point of difference to get sales with less competition.
    Yep sounds like it
    Australia doesnt have much sway in the world when it comes to regulating what manufactures do. Built in GPS is getting more common with radios, especially hand helds that will often have better skyview. though built in basestation units found in boats will almost always need an external antenna, be it reciving via NMEA0813 or 2K... yep.. i wouldnt put to much faith in it

We still have terribly low VHF license uptake in this country first

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    So just for my understanding, I have a DSC capable VHF but its not connected to the GPS (Not an internal model VHS but has connection wires to GPS), am I therefore wasting my time connecting it? (It was connected but when I re-wired I didn't get around to it yet).

Unless you have an MMSI number, from a safety perspective it is a waste of time connecting it to the GPS to get position data sent to the radio.

The point of the MMSI that is permanently stored in the VHF is that when you press the distress button, a signal that contains your unique identity (the MMSI) and your position is sent out to listening stations - other DSC equipped boats or shore stations that listen to what I gather is the designated DSC channel, ch 70.

To get an MMSI you must complete one of the VHF courses either the AWQ which is the shorter condensed version for us rec guys, or the full MRCOP course (or whatever the acronym is these days.

The other nifty feature of DSC is that your MMSI number can act as a direct homing device to other similarly equipped radios that have your number. It’s a like a VHF phone number. You program in your friend’s MMSI and that radio is automatically and directly called without having to hail them on a public frequency. Of course, as soon as they answer, they will connect with you on the radio frequency you are standing by on, so keep in mind it’s still a public channel.

So as far as I know, unless ypu have an MMSI number, there is no point connecting your VHF to the GPS.

Alright, I can now confirm that the official response is that this is BS.

Here is, verbatum, the email reply I got tonight from ACMA and I have underlined and bolded the key point for your reading pleasure.

Dear Sir

We recently consulted on some proposed changes intended to update VHF maritime arrangements:https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/upda...l-arrangements.

Changes of the type to which you refer were not identified.

We would welcome you referring us to any publications promulgating such a proposal.

Regards

Spectrum Licensing Policy