Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which fisherman are you.

Re: Which fisherman are you.

This is my attitude towards fishing reels. I think of them as tools required to do a job, catching fish. Buy a good one, fish it hard and then when its no longer useable then maybe put it on a shelf and admire it for all the fish its caught. In the mean while clean it and service it so it can continue catching fish as long as possible. If it is scratched or damaged while fishing so be it, if it is avoidable then avoid it. I clean and store my gear between uses but don't go as far as to put them back in pouches in the boat. Drag washers and bearings are a wearing part, when they get old I buy new ones. Ultimately at the end of the day i am interested in the fish not the gear i'm using to catch them. Wether i'm walking the bank, paddling a canoe or in a boat when i'm out on the water I'm thinking about where to put my next cast or how i'm working my lure and not how shiny my reel is or how many scratches it has.

Quote Originally Posted by alphas View Post
    I'm not the only one...
    Thinly veiled swipe in no.4 perhaps......
    No. 3

But feel like a No. 4 and No. 5 for saying it

Yeah I don't spend crazy amounts along the lines of 300 - 700 for a reel, but I probably would if I had the coin and another set of genitals after the misses removed my previous ones.
    I look after my gear and wash it down correctly last thing I want is for it to fail on me when I need it most. Take the time and look after it and it will look after you. I don't know about leaving it lying in your car though, not with the scum that are going around these days....

I am so category 5, thanks Alphas

yes but some reels are rubbish, they actually stop you catching a fish and yes you don't need big dollars to land a fish,you can haul in good fish on nothing but mono and a handline.
    I just got tierd of patronising the hype about cheap rubbish reel that are getting around.

Difference between a 70 dollar GMC power drill and a 400 dollar Dewalt.

ANSWER: A LOT

Cheers

Pardon me if I'm mistaken,But aren't you the guy who just put up a thread in regards to how to polish scratches out of a brand new,Unused,Seized,$1300 Van Stall?

Regards. B8
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Well I like being a Sckitzophrenic ....... somedays a 4 ..... Then a 3 & always a 5

Dont agree with this comment on 4's " This group seem to revere a particular species, whether it be Barramundi, Murray Cod or other ".

Chris

Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

With our weather the way it is I'm a No:5 Cabin Fever
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well I like being a Sckitzophrenic ....... somedays a 4 ..... Then a 3 & always a 5

Dont agree with this comment on 4's " This group seem to revere a particular species, whether it be Barramundi, Murray Cod or other ".

Chris

Know what you mean there mate,2 many here don't appreciate passion...

Quote Originally Posted by alphas View Post
    Know what you mean there mate,2 many here don't appreciate passion...
    Yes Mick ..... Some of the best fishoes I've seen target a single species & I have no doubt that at the drop of a hat they have the talent to adapt to a new species or situation ......... To me that is the hallmark of a truly great fisherman.

Even as I read it again ..... The number 3s are a one angled view of what constitutes a 10%er

Lets review

3.The Angler, the 10%ers as we know them. These are the anglers who take a rather simplistic approach to the sport. They understand water & how to read it, wind lanes, land contours and variations, structure & the elements. They understand fish habits, habitat, diets & what makes fish tick. “The Angler” goes about their business quietly, doesn’t advertise their presence, produces regularly and put simply knows what they are doing. These are the aware, switched on anglers always improving.
    How does a simplistic approach to fishing make you a 10%er ( with the exception of years of experience .....Quite often a simplistic approach is what the specific target angler uses ........ Snapper , bream , blackfish , flathead ,Mulloway etc) ....... A fair percentage of these guys only do well in their home patch ...... as they know their waters intimately........... Yes these guys go about their stuff quietly or never advertise their presence - because it is often about protecting their patch .....They rarely share anything with anyone not part of the inner sanctum) .
    Just because someone buys expensive gear , uses the most up to date technique , reads a lot , watches DVDs , gets on the net , experiments ........ & then goes fishing for a target fish does not mean he is not an "Angler" - He actually may be the "SWITCHED ON ANGLER"......... These switched on Anglers often produce the goods because they dont have a simplistic approach - They have a knowledge base, can present a lure or bait in a different manner ...... know finesse techniques , carry an array of lures / baits , fluorocarbon & uses scents etc

For me

3 is being able to catch fish in all matter of conditions or situations ....... are adaptable , fish aware type people........with the top of the tree the guys / girls that can do it all (1%ers) ........ just as comfortable with a fly rod in hand , baitcaster for barra or drifting a unweighted pilly for reds

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Hardb8 View Post
    Pardon me if I'm mistaken,But aren't you the guy who just put up a thread in regards to how to polish scratches out of a brand new,Unused,Seized,$1300 Van Stall?

Regards. B8

How very observant of you B8!!

Maybe we all end up as 4's at some stage...

JIM
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?

spot on..Very clearly and concisely said Chris.
    Last edited by alphas; 04-02-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: wanted to add more!!

I have been very well behaved on this one , but its one thing to put up a thread to get a few strikes and hookups , but fairdinkum spears i put you in the same class as a japanese longliner .
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink:

when you have Thousands of dollars of gear i tend to look after all my gear and everything gets washed and cleaned once i get home, they go back in there covers and back on the rack and i think everyone would do the same. And for the Fish catch rate of 10 to 1 for the people that have poor looked after gear compared to others, i would like to see that . I believe its just respect for the gear you have as its worth too much money to let get trashed. however I am up for any chalange LOL LOL.

Cheers
    Mat

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    The thing that got me thinking about this post was the amount of reels selling in pristine condition with models 12+ months old and not Come on guys it’s a fishing reel no matter what price ,what about looking at it as that .
    If thats so You go down to K mart and just get an $20 egg beater then ill take you out chasing kingies and AJ's with livies and lets see who's gear stands up I believe you pay for what you get. Quality comes with a price..........