Thread: Offshore floatlining rod to use with 6500B baitrunner

Offshore floatlining rod to use with 6500B baitrunner

Good evening, have been out of the game for a while. Just refit my boat and keen to get out to chase some fish. I have a 6500B baitrunner in good working order which I'll respool with 30lb low stretch mono.

I don't have a rod to suit, what should I buy for under $150 to suit float lining for primarily snapper and any bycatch in 20-50metres

Cheers

Re: Offshore floatlining rod to use with 6500B baitrunner

Maybe a livefibre.
    Try BCF as they have a up to 50% sale on selected rods for club members at the moment.

Rob, Robyn told you to stay away from BCF...............

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    That's ok. Tackle warehouse were cheaper last time anyway.

As for a rod, at 30 pound there will be a heap of options. Bit of life in the tip but not that soft it can't support a 10 ball for when there is some current, loads well and has a bit of muscle as it does. Also make sure the butt is a comfortable length for the way you fish - for me that is with it tucked up under the arm but everyone is different

I have that reel on a live fibre 10-15 k.g. spin rod for float baiting. It works well.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Just stick with the normal sort of 7ft boat spin style? Was reading about people having more success and better control of the descent using rods as long as 8'6". I'd imagine it's be awkward to boat a fish with an 8'6" rod

Gday mjc85 - I have used an ugly stick general purpose 8ft glass tip 6-8kg for years. Love it that much I bought another 2 for spares thinking they may not continue to make them for much longer. Cost me $89 and a mate picked up one exactly the same in Ipswich for $49 on sale at BCf last year. I have a 6500 baitrunner with 30lb low stretch and have landed cobia to 35kg, Spanish to 18kg plenty of good snapper etc etc. Cheap enough to drop around in the boat but performance is great. I also use a 8000 saragosa on it with 20lb later in the day. Get snagged and can still put an incredible amount of acid on it to unsnag. For the $$ very hard to beat. My 2c worth anyway.

I know, you just need to be smarter about it Tony and don't unpack your purchases when your misses is home

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post

Cheers guys, much appreciated. I think the 8ft pretty stick it will be, thanks