Thread: Mary River danger

Mary River danger

Where's my cow gone?
    http://www.whitsundaytimes.com.au/ne...ary-r/3103623/

randell
    Bundy

Re: Mary River danger

Yeah Randell, old mate at Beaver Ramp says a dog went missing at the ramp a week or so ago, and he's had a VERY large swirl off the bank when he's dropped the boat in. He's a pro, so might have vested interest in keeping things quiet down there but even so, seemed to be reasonable. I'm pretty careful there, and I try to let Skipper hold the boat in the water, while I back the car down...

It's interesting that the southern geckos seem fond of the Mary River. Heard of one sighting in the Burrum fairly recently, but haven't heard of any up the Burnett, Littabella, or Baffle, and even Round Hill. I wonder if it's to do with food. Also makes one wonder where they pass through on the way down there.

Cuzza

Earlier this year a woman saw something moving on the surface of the Burnett rv , town reach, and I heard of a sighting down Fairymead way towards the mouth.
    Also heard reports of one in Kolan.
    I recently sold my 12 ft canoe and now have a 11ft 3in tinnie. I feel better.........
    randell

Makes sense. I would believe it, especially if they are in the Mary. There will probably be more and more going down the coast by the sounds of it. Still, not enough to put me off cast netting the river banks anywhere south of Rocky. Not yet, anyway.

Cuzza

Seems crocs inhabit areas where barra are found. Are there barra in the Mary??

Plenty in Noosa river now, but I don't think the tourism board will draw attention to it............

Mary is a far dirtier river than say the Baffle.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Seems crocs inhabit areas where barra are found. Are there barra in the Mary??

Plenty in Noosa river now, but I don't think the tourism board will draw attention to it............
    NO- no barra in the Mary. Not since the nets went out last weekend anyway.

Mary has always been recognised as the most southerly river to hold a permanent population of crocs.