Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Trout Fish Jaws Teeth

Mounting Trout Fish Jaws Teeth

Over six years ago I read an article in B&B mag about mounting fish jaws, I was really impressed by how they came up so kept the Mag for future reference. As it happens the article was written by Heath from on here.

Years went by and I really didn't catch anything of great note or forgot about it when I did until I was out on the Norval last year and a Punter Simon (also a member of A/F) caught a very nice trout in the last minutes of the last drop for the trip.

I just had to give these jaws a go so cut them out of the head and gave the head to the Tongan punter on board to cook up into a soup (was bloody beautiful too)

so for starters I wrapped up the jaws in foil and put in the pre warmed but turned off hooded BBQ to soften the majority of the flesh, after picking most of the flesh away I then put in very slow simmering water for short periods to soften more flesh but not cook the bones. I used a tooth brush to help clean away the flesh but found as I got them clean a squirt with compressed air got rid of all the little bits stuck in the holes everywhere

I then let them dry for a few weeks (don't know if this is really necessary but I had other things on) before putting them into a mild bleach solution overnight (Heath I have lost the Mag mate so step in please with times and solution ratios haha)

Horse also mentioned about Shellite to get the fats out of the bones so they don't yellow with age so I gave them a good scrubbing up with that too before starting to look at what they would look like on a mount

When I took Jarrah Jacks boat down to the Mornington Peninsula for him he had a great piece of old wharf Jarrah pylon that he quickly cut up into the right size for me

a bit of JJ woodworking skill and some West system epoxy resin and backing board was complete with a couple of extra shells I picked up at JJ's boat launching beach

I used the clear grade Araldite to glue all the bones together so it didn't yellow with time using rubber bands and blue tac to hold in place

a few coats of an artists clear cote protector in a spray can then found a book rack style of rack for them to sit on and Simon is very happy I believe

now Horse is going to do a big Green Jobfish and add to this any steps I have missed haha

cheers Murf

Re: Mounting Trout Fish Jaws Teeth

Thanks for the post Murf. You are giving me a bit more confidence to have a crack at it. I might start with something a bit smaller just to get the technique right
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I wondered how that went. Looks great Murf. You went to a lot of mucking around getting all the bits and pieces. You seem to like shopping if I remember rightly.

I've heard that you can put the bones on an ant nest and they will clean it for you but I've never tried it.

Horse...If you want some of that jarrah give me a yell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post

Horse...If you want some of that jarrah give me a yell.
    Mate a chunk of that would be sweet
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Horse JJ has some great timber that suits the jaws mickey mouse

mate just start cleaning the Jobbie jaws

cheers Murf

That looks great Murf, well done it looks really good. I might have a go at it one day...wreck it all....get the poops and call you to make me some....is that ok?
    Living the dream, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Mate a chunk of that would be sweet
    PM me the actual dimensions you want and I'll mail it off, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    PM me the actual dimensions you want and I'll mail it off, no worries.
    The way I'm procrastinating I will be able to pick it up in Agnes
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    The way I'm procrastinating I will be able to pick it up in Agnes
    haha I hear ya there fella

cheers Murf

That looks great Murf. I am going to be checking out all the fish jaws I catch from now on. I reckon a reef jack or spanish mack would look good done up like that.

If you don't mind me making a suggestion I think a little brass plaque with "coral trout" engraved into it, like on a trophy would look great stuck on there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    If you don't mind me making a suggestion I think a little brass plaque with "coral trout" engraved into it, like on a trophy would look great stuck on there somewhere.
    Lotta blokes mounting pig tusks now add a small photo mounted on the board so they can show the actual boar too. Maybe even just print n laminate a copy of the pic of youself holding it and just stick it on the back for when people ask about it

looks good, will have to give it ago
    Six of One Half a Dozen of the Other

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    That looks great Murf. I am going to be checking out all the fish jaws I catch from now on. I reckon a reef jack or spanish mack would look good done up like that.

yes I had thought about a plaque but being on the road when I finished it off I didn't get it done, although Jarrah Jack did suggest a Fidleback furniture brass plaque on it for the timber haha

the amount of people that ask what type of shark it is haha

cheers Murf

I have done lots of shark jaws over the years, lots of tedious work, but the results can be very rewarding, unfortunately I did them for other people, the only ones I kept myself are just sitting in a cupboard half done.

Murf they look great!!!

I like the idea of the Shellite as some of my jaws now have gone a bit yellow. The Areldite seems to give up after several years. I've had to re-apply the jaw to the backboard. These were painted though, so I don't know if it will be the same laquared.

The jaws come up a treat!!!!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM