Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots Question

Knots Question

I have been trying to tie a fleuro leader to 8lb braid using a Yucatan Twist and my braid keeps cutting through the leader. Also tried a loop to loop knot and same thing: braid cuts through the leader. What am I doing wrong?

Second question: do any of you use some tools or aides to help tying knots? I'm finding it difficult especially with flimsy braid

Steve
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Re: Knots Question

I use a slim beauty for light line classes. I just find it easier with the light braid. Make sure you lubricate any knot prior to really snugging it tight.

Check these out Steve

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/for...-Fishing-Knots

Cheers
    Chimo

Thanks Chimo & Scott I've got the animated knots app, the two troubles I was having was 1. holding the very limp 8 lb braid in a loop with the fleuro which keeps wanting to straighten itself out and 2. knowing which end of the line to tighten with the standing or the tag end. However, I just saw a Daiwafishing video which says you only need one knot, the uni, for everything: tying on hooks, lures, and leader to braid and it gave an example of each that I could follow with my light line.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Hi Steve double up the braid,i use uni to uni knots to join my braid to my leader and double my braid over no matter what line size braid im tieing,great to see your out haveing fun.

I find the fg knot to be painless now.......prefer to tie them than double unis.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Hi Steve double up the braid,i use uni to uni knots to join my braid to my leader and double my braid over no matter what line size braid im tieing,great to see your out haveing fun.
    Hey Chris,
    Yer I kinda lost a year there after launching the boat but I'm back into the swing of things now in a serious way, planning to make the most of the spring and summer fishing season. Equipped up, lured up, knotted up, burleyed up and raring to go.

Good to hear from you. How'd your project come out? What motor etc. Conclusions?
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

hi steve i put my DF50 suzi on it and happy with things i havent had it out much only used it 2 times and got a hernia and have had the opp and back at work alls good now.

Do you have a build blog or anything w pics, specs, performance, weight etc? Recall the designer took down your original stuff.

I stand behind everything I say, except usually I'm prone.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Hi stevemid I used to have the same problem, the solution is to use uni to uni , 4 twists of leader to 6 twists of braid, the secret is to tie the leader on first and pull it tight onto the braid holding tag in your teeth, then tie braid with uni onto leader and pull tight, you end up with 2 nice tight knots gripping leader and braid, you then just slide them together after you lube the lines, this removes the stress and cutting action of tightening if you pull together without tightening each knot first..

Thanks alleycat. I'm out fishin the change of the low tide so I'll give it a try right now.

S&S34
    Spirited 230

I use to use yucatan successfully but then started having trouble with some braids cutting the leader, especially fluorocarbon materials, Bimini & double uni for all lines now and no issues.

Yep I've come to the same conclusion

S&S34
    Spirited 230

I came across the GT knot a few years ago.

I now use it exclusively. Practiced a few times, it is easy to tie. No doubling line, no loops, I've shown it to quite a few mates and they all use it now too. Very few times messed up, and NIL failures and no incidents of the knot cutting the leader.

This is the video method I use to tie it. Very reliable. Used every weight line from 4lb up to 80.

Very slim tidy knot that runs through guides nicely.

Oh, and did I mention that it's bloody strong? Breaks at GREATER than the line strength it's tied in.

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I agree grant, it's easier than tying doubles etc and easy to tie.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things