Thread: wHITING RIGS

wHITING RIGS

Can someone please post a good whiting rig for shallow (2 metres) or deep (30 foot) please. thankyou Sean

Re: wHITING RIGS

can't be more simpler than a Whiting rig, main line about 3 to 5 KG, swivel and running sinker (size to suit current/surf) maybe a piece of Pink tube just above the hook on about a 30 to 50CM trace (same as main line) long shank hook, live worm (or very fresh) and your away. can try Nippers if they are around or pippies all will take Whiting.

Hi Sean,

I only fish off the beach, but these are a few ideas....

I have heard that a long trace (up to 2 metres) is good for whiting, so I usually put atleast 1 metre.

I have also heard from a few people that whiting prefer only a small (1 - 2 cm) piece of worm. Personally, I always cover the hook with 3 or 4 cm of worm. I would be interested to hear other's ideas.......

I use red Baitholder long-shank hooks No 4, with the barbs to keep the worms in place. No 6 catch more fish, but are small enough to be swallowed by small whiting, so I prefer not to use them.

Cheers

H-L-S

Hi

I use a very similar rig to Noelm ,with a size 3-5 long shank hook

rockfisho

Thanks guys, about to leave and see if I can get a few. Thanks Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Can someone please post a good whiting rig for shallow (2 metres) or deep (30 foot) please. thankyou Sean

well sean, i think everyone ideas are there abouts but if your really looking for that "golden edge" or the "midas touch" i can't go passed a nice fishing line with a big hook on the end. all the best and i hope you catch a big fish

3kg line, 60cm of trace of same line. Use a short shank reversed eye, bronze, forge hook. Mustard 540 size 4 is a good hook, it used to come in what was called the "club comp" version which was a lighter hook, not sure if they're still around.

Use the main weight (running ball sinker) above the swivel, and a small (000 ball, also running) down against the hook, with a 2 or 3 inch red plastic slip seperating the hook from the small ball sinker.
    Use a dropper knot to put a second hook in the rig if you want to fish two hooks, again using red plastic to keep the hook at right angles to the trace as it washes around. Keep the second hook 9if you use it) about 10 inches above the bottom hook.

Really lay the worm on. Wrigglers if you have a son that's obedient enough to dig your bait for you, or else mud worms from the local gold smith (bait shop) We all used to think use small amounts of worm, but I reckon get as much worm on as is reasonable, but don't be afraid to use heaps.

That's what these were caught on anyway.

cheers
    rob

PS I didn't catch these fish.
    Last edited by robyoung2; 03-03-2007 at 02:23 AM.

yeah i agree with uncle bully great set up

Size 1 "Red" Blood Worm Mustard hook on a 50-60cm leader. You could try the Gulp worm...I find you get a lot more fish on the one bit of bait this way!! and the way worm prices are these days it will work out cheaper. But I must say fresh is best!!

Drifting shallow weedy bottom anywhere in the bay will get results! Amity banks will get you a feed...just remember it's a GO SLOW AREA!!

Oh, and fantastic on a BBQ plate.

BilgeBoy