• Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I still find ETECs the most talked about motor amoung my acquaintances ...... in a negative manner. A mate of mine made the same comment based on his contacts in the NSW trailerboat tournament fishing scene.
    a couple of years ago - you would have had strong debate over any negative comment about an ETEC ...... not so much now!

my thought on the etec thing is that , it appears that if you land a good one - Awesome!!!! - If not .... you have problems hanging out of your ying yang

Chris

PS as for Etec oil usage - a mates 115 HO goes through around a LITRE / week ...... $780 / year!
    how many hours a weekend and how many litres of petrol to use 1 litre of oil Chris just to put this into perspective ?
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    how many hours a weekend and how many litres of petrol to use 1 litre of oil Chris just to put this into perspective ?
    Stuie
    My guess is 4-5 days a week - on an impoundment ( maybe 10 hours per week)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

To be honest you will never get a valid poll, your question might has well been what outboard are you running as the average person is only going to vote for what they have themselfs. Like the whole ford vs holden (only difference is both aus car companys both build shit cars).

Quote Originally Posted by DTHCoCo View Post
    To be honest you will never get a valid poll, your question might has well been what outboard are you running as the average person is only going to vote for what they have themselfs. Like the whole ford vs holden (only difference is both aus car companys both build shit cars).
    Perhaps we might have a poll for what would be your last choice of new engine for your current boat if you could repower. That one would be amusing.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    My guess is 4-5 days a week - on an impoundment ( maybe 10 hours per week)

Chris
    So then, he requires an oil change and filter every 10 weeks (or less for some models) if he runs a 4 stoke, is that cost of oil, filter and labour more than the cost of the 2 stroke oil, that needs no labour to put in yourself? kind of doubt it!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    So then, he requires an oil change and filter every 10 weeks (or less for some models) if he runs a 4 stoke, is that cost of oil, filter and labour more than the cost of the 2 stroke oil, that needs no labour to put in yourself? kind of doubt it!

Those hours would be a guestimate .... but its actually a bit high - 5-7 would be more like it ...... considering its on a impoundment

If you did stick to the 100hr regime - and changed the oil yourself it would be still less than half the cost. Realistically though .... if you run those hours you would probably go 6 months.
    My point was though that the HOs do chew through oil...... Oil which is priced out of this world

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

yes, you can save money if you skip the regular oil change intervals, just the same as you can save money by using "cheap" oil in your e-tec! same thing, skimp and be cheap, or do the right thing. Just to set the record straight here Nagg, I do NOT own an e-tec, but I am pointing out that most of the 4 stroke brigades negatives are not always what they seem. try buying genuine Suzuki or Yamaha or Merc 4 stroke oil and see what they cost.

Chris I would like to still know how much petrol ?
    as Noel said $780.00 worth of oil against 3 extra services a year which one comes out in front

as Noel said $780.00 worth of oil against 3 extra services a year which one comes out in front
    no idea ..... on fuel usage - we never spoke about it .... just how often he adds oil. ...... I can ask though.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

yes, you can save money if you skip the regular oil change intervals, just the same as you can save money by using "cheap" oil in your e-tec! same thing, skimp and be cheap, or do the right thing. Just to set the record straight here Nagg, I do NOT own an e-tec, but I am pointing out that most of the 4 stroke brigades negatives are not always what they seem. try buying genuine Suzuki or Yamaha or Merc 4 stroke oil and see what they cost.
    I do know what you are saying .... I just pointed out that a particular model of ETEC burns oil.
    I do my own oil change (& gearbox) & it costs me around $100 for the filter & yamilube oils (60hp 4 stroke)
    btw - my motor goes in for a full service tomorrow

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

This poll to me says a lot. I don't know why people would comment and not vote, its no big deal really. 248 people voted and Yammi out the front by a mile.

I'm surprised that so few voted for the etec especially given their marketing campaign. Truth be told that for whatever reasons etec's are not popular on Ausfish, in the NT and in the US even. Mention etec's on the NT forum and see what response you get.

I look at The Hull Truth's classifieds a bit and cannot remember seeing an Etec on a used boat over in the US. Its mainly Yammi's followed by Opti's/ Verado's and Zuks, rarely a Honda either for that matter.

Etec do have a problem in a few places. I'm not against them at all as I've never owned one. My mate has just clocked up 500 hours on a 50hp without any problems and has now traded up to a 90. I own a Zuk a Tohy and a Merc and I'm happy with them all.

yep, I agree with everything you are saying (sort of) but I still say that over a fair period of time (say a couple of years) that the coast of owning a 4 stroke over a NEW 2 stroke (regardless of brand) will be so close to being even, that the difference would not even buy you a paddle pop! my across the road neighbor has a 200HO on a big plate boat, and I must admit he never really whinges about the oil use, but he does let me know in no uncertain terms when he has to buy oil, how much it costs, there is huge savings to be had by buying oil in bulk.

The oil burn equates to 1% (1lt / 100lt of fuel)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

yep, I agree with everything you are saying .
    Thanks Noel

I think if I was putting 5000 litres of fuel in my boat a year I wouldn't be whinging about 50 litres of oil . either way it is not exactly average usage