Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooglies of the deep.

Re: Ooglies of the deep.

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Dunno how I missed this thread before now,
    but I'd like to give all you guys a big thumbs up for having a go at the deep water without having to rush out & buy electric gear because
    its too far to wind up.

Anyone who knows me knows I have a passion for tackling these deepwater fish on standup gear.
    Rabbi & I live in the same area & basically fish the same (except I have better marks than him,hehehehe)
    He described the gear needed pretty well, with a few changes.
    50lb stick, reliable 6/0 reel, paternostra rig at the bottom about 6ft made with big 3way swivels.
    Hook choice is up to you, but make sure they are very strong, we only use Big Gun, & just because you are chasing big fish doesn't mean you need to use shark hooks, we only use 4/0 & 3/0 as there are other fish out there besides cod.
    Line weight is also up to you, but we only use 30lb braid & have no trouble boating 15 kg cod.
    I dont know how Rabbi can hit the bottom with the sinkers that he described, but we never use less than 2lb sinkers, & these still take nearly 5 mins to hit the bottom.

Good luck with it , & I hope we can read some good reports soon.

Muzz
    Hey Muzz, just gotta streamline your gear so you are not chucking parachutes over the side.
    The jigs n braid cut through the current nicely.
    When are we going to hava look at your marks U.S

Let me know when you are going & I will meet you up off Cape Byron & you can chase us out near the canyon..............

Muzz

Muzz, I cant paddle my yak that far!!

I wanna see all these qlder's do it with an alvey 1:1 ratio. And see how much they love em then😳😳😄😄

I really don't think it is going to be any easier with the International 80W cranking away - my rig - no matter happy to try it anyway.

If I get some joy from it with a fish all the more I will try again
    Cheers

Trev

I'm not saying I wouldn't but ain't it going to be a blast. The radios are going to be entertaining. Brett has blown a valve, trev is coming up the rear. I can volunteer my services as emcee.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    trev is coming up the rear.
    Not sure I like the sound of that ?

Anyway definitely RSI candidates and it will be real interesting before or after the event to gtg to see what sort of weird and wonderful rigs we plan on dropping several hundred metres past king neptune's nose to the centre of the earth.

I've heard in this thread alone "I must be crazy", "I think I am going mad" and gear proposed "anchor retriever"; "beer cans filled with concrete" and "Bricks" - I reckon we are going to be a complete circus out there should be fun
    Cheers

Trev

If I can't get a deckie space I'm heading out in a 5.5mt and following a few no doubt so muddy pick good weather. I will be making lead sinkers and concrete sinkers got everything except cans. No idea how it's coming back up again. No electrics so electric anchor winch is a no go. not that I have 1.
    We used to get metal rope reels back in Darwin and put line on them maybe something like that on a broom stick propped up with oar holders and turn the reel. Don't recon these fish really fight more of a skull drag.

GUYS I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS POST how did I miss this I have always wanted to do this type of fishing,, have being reading up about deep water fishing,TIM those big ass deck winchs are going on our boat that if your up for this type of fishing now will have to talk to bruce to see if hes up for a trip out wide so if all goes well & the crew are up for it would love to tag along Cheers bill

Quote Originally Posted by burleygu View Post
    they either rail mount or deck mount however with abit of notice i could run some stainless wire through my mig and make a tube extension for them so they simply sit in your existing rod holders however they would have to be built in rod holders on an alloy boat or stainless rod holders in a glass boat deffinately wouldnt like to put a deck winch in a plastic rod holder :S
    Hey thanks Tim.....don't go to that trouble mate, I'll try and wing it with the gear I've got for the first trip.

If it's a success and I want to do it again I'll let you know.

Thanks again mate.

Well trev/Anthony you just both missed out on putting big bolts through your floors.

This is starting to sound like a rapid impromptu gtg - governed by weather.

Heading out from Scarby? If so a great meet place on return would be a barbecue at the Bulwer or Tanga wrecks.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Well trev/Anthony you just both missed out on putting big bolts through your floors.
    Bugger
    Cheers

Trev

Geez.......

So I've just got a$$holed out of the deck winches, got lumped with weather duty and Trev's coming up me rear all in the one page!!!!

See why I've never tried to organise anything else before?

Make sure there is no current either...