Thread: Mapsource - Insight Genesis - Other Software - or Google Earth

Mapsource - Insight Genesis - Other Software - or Google Earth

Just wanted to find out from other anglers if they have asoftware program like Mapsource – Insight Genesis – or similar, maybe GoogleEarth or some other software that they map their GPS marks into. I used to have Mapsource before my computer crashed,where I was able to upload the detailed seabed information, as well as beingable to view all of my GPS marks that I had entered into a file onto it. Thiscould then be uploaded into Google Earth which I found very helpful. I wantedto find out if there are other easier methods of recording your marks. I don’t knowif you could just enter all your co ordinates into notepad and then upload intoGoogle Earth as a file and then just edit your information as you go.Let me know what software you use, that is good, I am interested in the Google Earthoption which may be the easier way to go, but don’t know if it is possible. Anythoughts or information will be appreciated gentlemen.

Re: Mapsource - Insight Genesis - Other Software - or Google Earth

I use Insight Planner now - previously I made do with EasyGPS and GPSBabel, but now I can use my Navionics charts and create waypoints visually rather than use raw co-ordinates.
    If you save as .gpx, you can use mapsengine.google.com to display them on the interweb.
    You can also load the green zone co-ordinates onto the same map and clearly see them.(I think the co-ordinates are on this site somewhere...)
    My sounder won't upload sonar logs, so that stuff is unknown to me.

Only thing I would like now is the ability to update my Android Navionics app with the same .gpx data without having to manually input it.

Thank for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowrascal View Post
    Just wanted to find out from other anglers if they have asoftware program like Mapsource – Insight Genesis – or similar, maybe GoogleEarth or some other software that they map their GPS marks into. I used to have Mapsource before my computer crashed,where I was able to upload the detailed seabed information, as well as beingable to view all of my GPS marks that I had entered into a file onto it. Thiscould then be uploaded into Google Earth which I found very helpful. I wantedto find out if there are other easier methods of recording your marks. I don’t knowif you could just enter all your co ordinates into notepad and then upload intoGoogle Earth as a file and then just edit your information as you go.Let me know what software you use, that is good, I am interested in the Google Earthoption which may be the easier way to go, but don’t know if it is possible. Anythoughts or information will be appreciated gentlemen.
    I assume you are using Garmin gear then?
    I found Mapsource too clunky when I used it a while ago, and have used Ozi-explorer a fair bit which I do like, however it is $100+. Recently though, bought a boat that already has a Garmin plotter so I downloaded HomePort, I haven't used it much yet but so far it seems more than adequate. I do like having the ability to copy your maps from the unit to the computer. Online there are plenty of mixed reports on HomePort though, have read a number of people that have had trouble recovering files etc, so like everything just be mindful of regular backups. It is free these days and easily exports to .kml and .kmz files for easy import into Earth, so nothing to lose giving it a go.

Scott.

I have both Homeport and Mapsource (as well as Navionics). Mapsource is my favourite by far
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"