Page 77 of 233 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 3493

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Yeah the first cup of 1000mls is no worries that rolls out on the chopped mat really easy the mat soaks all that up but i think its the 2nd 1000mls or 3rd i have noticed i leave the cup half full maybe this is where i am screwing up pretty sure its at the start of the cloth

what i'll do is i'll replay my videos and work out how much resin im using quickly to wet out the chopped mat and remember how many cups than i'll reduce it at this point to half a cup

didn't think it was a problem letting the resin sit but i do recall the cup going brown once but the cup had no heat to it

keen to crack on with the pod, about to call around for trailer parts now too going to buy all the stuff tomorrow

Didnt realize shops are closed... placed a order just now with the fibreglass supplier getting 10 square meters of 400g double bias cloth delivered to finish off my stringers

Than all i have to do is build my bulkheads and the floor can finally go down

Will try to do stringers later this week, if im left over with any double bias cloth i'll use it on the pod

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Guys can someone give advice in the next hour or two as i want to glass the pod this afternoon/tonight, i have down 2 layers of chop mat but they have cured can i start by laying down the double bias now than chop mat over the top

Or must i have a fresh wet layer of chopped mat on both sides of the double bias?

I just winged it fellas probably not the way u all would glass but i have no experience

I laid down the 900gram double bias it was really had it didnt want to stick to the vertical sides but i got it done

Hi Gazza,A few suggestions, first off, a few things I would have done differently, you need a much wider and thicker resin roller it will make your wetting out easier and quicker, secondly you needed to wet the insides first with the resin before applying the first layer, that will help it stick to the inside and fill in any little voids and irregularities on the walls, as well as providing a resin rich surface so when you add the first piece of CSM/cloth it will make it easier to wet and roll out. Any excess resin gets absorbed or just rolls out once you put on the next layer of cloth/CSM. I also would have put in a layer of CSM first and also not overlapped the bottom with the cloth. The corners could do with an extra strip of CSM too.

Have you given any thought on how you are going to access the bolts from the motor when you fit it? As by the looks of your design you are going to put the flange completely against the transom, in other words you will have a sealed pod.

Thanks Ed knew someone would pick up on the corners i totally forgot to put in a strip of double bias up each corner my mind was blank at the time it wasn't untill i watched back thru the video last night i realized i had left them out, the layer under the double bias is chopped mat x2 but it was cured from the last session when i had problems i hope it wont effect it laying the double bias over the cured chopped mat

i put the double bias down first as it gives me a longer time to work with the resin, i have tried to put resin on first than glass than resin over the top but i can never get a really thick layer of resin on the piece so much the fibreglass doesn't even stick, maybe its my rollers?

the access i was going to bolt the pod to the engine than bolt it all to the boat but i think i will cut a 100mm access hole in the top and put a little plastic hatch on it

These are the size of rollers I use for wetting out, the large ones are 230mm x 60mm and I also use ones that are 150-160mm or so for jobs such as yours. I don't have any on hand to show you but they all have quite thick naps as shown in the end pic.. I usually mix up about 2-3lt of resin for large flatish areas and smaller or more complicated shapes I mix accordingly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah i only done one layer of epoxy over the bare plywood it did soak in and it felt kind of furry once cured but i figured i was going to fair and sand the pod before painting
    That would be why it stuck. Sanded back and a second coat would have seen it popped. All good though as you've still got to flowcoat it.

Thanks Ed i will check out bunnings now to see if they have those pink rollers and how much they cost and sizes

Digs yeah i thought a single coat would have been fine i was very generous with resin i think i mixed up 400mls for the whole pod including the outside lip i reckon what grabbed was that "furry surface" finish

I was in Bunnings about 30 minutes ago and had a look at what rollers they have and they range from 130mm to 180mm wide in the smaller lengths and 10mm nap. I don't go by the colour much as so long as they are suitable for solvents like acetone, some are better than others.

Thanks Ed appreciate u checking them out i looked earlier i think i found the 230mm rollers i will have to go in and check to make sure they are the furry type rollers hard to judge if they are furry or foam

The thicker they are, the harder to keep them clean and you do go through a bit of acetone to clean them, I used to have 3 tupperware containers with acetone, after using a roller get as much resin off as you can, rolling it on some cardboard or such, then dip in the first container and rub surface, then take out and spin, careful with that as the dregs go every where. Then into the next container, rub surface, roll onto cardboard, repeat and spin, then store in the last container. The diluted resin in first container which only has a little bit of acetone will go off fairly quickly (within a day or two) depending how much you had in it to start off with, and the resin settles out on the bottom, so you might get at least one or 2 first cleans out of it before you have to dice it.

When it does gum up then, empty, clean and refill with fresh acetone and that then becomes your second container and the original second container becomes the first. And so on this way if you need to do a lot of laminating you can use a minimal amount of acetone and you don't have to keep replacing the rollers each time. The third and last container you can let the roller soak in it. Make sure all the containers have a lid on them. Now depending on what quality the rollers are that you bought you can some times get a week or 2 or more out of each roller, so it is a trade off between cost of rollers vs acetone usage. If however you get cheap or inappropriate rollers, when you soak them, the bond holding the covering will dissolve off from the roller former and it will unravel and you will have to dice them.

If you have finished laminating then give the roller from the 3rd container a good clean, spin and let dry.
    Hope this makes sense!

Thanks Ed the pink furry rollers i seen are $8 a pack of 8 so $1 each, i use 2x 100mm rollers per session for 3 laminates on the pod so i think i may just keep using new rollers as acetone is very expensive

I dont go thru heaps of acetone probably about 6-7x 1L bottles for my boat build to date but at $11 a bottle its not cheap stuff i can buy bulk but no where to store it

I think the 230mm roller would be ideal i can cover 2.3 times the area to what i was doing with the 100mm roller i never thought to use the bigger one as my epoxy was going off so quick i thought small batches small roller less problems

Gazza,you made my back ache just watching you going from the ground to the top of the job. Put your resin up higher at about the same height as the job or higher.. An old 200 ltr drum would be good. You wont lose as much resin either which is dripping off your roller while you are getting up to the job. Doesnt sound like much but I can assure you ,it will speed up your manufacturing process and save your back.
    Just my thought.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Thanks Mick i'll try work something out