Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

Re: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

this old jetty, that is now been knocked down i think, 6lb line and a tiny suicide with a bit of prawn tail ment for monos, ended up pulling a nice parrot up, also my mate caught a nice estuary cod, on the same tackle

Back when I was single and owned a sea going boat I was about 5 miles off Gosford in NSW when the water went wild with Pillies, they were everywhere. I was bottom bashing and anchored up at the time. In the trough of the wave a blanket of pillies flew over the transom and all over my feet, I was blown away.

I reeled in my line and cut the leader off, grabbed a 6/0 hook from the tackle box, grabbed the 1st pilly I could and put it back over the side. BANG!! a 65 CM kingfish, and man was it a work out !!

Trouble is, whilst fighting the kingy the pillies were wriggling all over the place, and some got squished under foot, and some made their way behind the fuel tank at the back, which was a big 70ltr job, so by the following weekend the boat was very smelly (

I made a casserole out of the Kingy, and it was great
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Went to a creek on the inside of Fraser casting a cast net for Hardie Heads. Cast the net and something starting going mental in the cast net. Very nice 56cm Mangrove Jack. Which was released.

Was trolling off M'ba last year and must have passed through a school of yellowfin tuna. We got a double hook up and when bringing mine in one had wrapped itself around the line as well as the one which took the lure. Who said you can't catch two fish at once with the one lure.

Cheers
    Kezza

Re: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught

Fishing for tailor in a boat off waddy point, just caught a nice tailor and he s**t on me, so i had my rod underneath my arm and lent over the side of the boat to wash my hands, the 3 baitless ganged hooks only just in the water when a 99cm greenback took it and my rod flung from under my arm, and the reel hit me in the head resulting in a nice cut. Ive gone a mark taylor and hit the but of the rod in my finger tips trying to save my rod. Pulled it in with blood rushing down my face witht he boys pouring water over my head for the whole 20 minutes i was playing him.

7 Stiches later and a nice pic of me bloodied up with just under a metre of tailor was just priceless.
    Last edited by vinckies; 25-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.

i caught a 65cm coral trout on a herring jig.

was fishing at brays rock off caloundra when my mate with a fresh spool of fins braid 20lb on his reel hooked a small mackeral when the rod loaded up the fins snapped just infront of the line giude on the reel. as the line was flying out the eyelets on the rod it somehow tied itself around the tip eye i jumped up grabbed the line and hand wound the fish in!! tooo easy grin

Talking Re: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

9.5 pound flathead fishing for fantail leather jackets of Port Stephens break wall using a 12 whiting hook under a bobby cork pricless and had no net used a 20lt bucket to land it
    Last edited by reilly; 25-01-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: forgot info

i hooked a bream in one of his fins wen winding in my bait .

Good thread!

mine was when fishing off woody point peir to fill a couple of hours. i was pulling in what seemed a half decent fish but saw a whiting coming up sideways so thought i had just foul hooked one.

when i got it up though i discovered i had lasso-ed (spelling?) it around the pec fins, the hook had latched back over the line forming a sort of noose!

not a bad catch and release tactic! (had to put it back after that!!)

Way back when i was a young apprentice living in Maroochydore, I walked home for lunch. I had to pass Bills Bait Bar and popped into have a chat to th guys as I did most days. I decided to buy a small surf spinner. i went home and rigged it up and walked down to the jetty at Banyandah Towers and had a few casts. On the third cast a 45cm chopper hit it like a train and I near died of fright. Was great for lunch and couldn't get fresher. No-one at work ever believed me when I told the story. EVER Fought well and was great fun on the light whiting rod I was using, 3gk on Alvey 55A5 and 10ft light action rod

Thumbs up Re: What is the "Flukiest" fish u have ever caught????

Very amusing thread.
    Toward the end of last winter a mate of mine took a few of us out to one of his regular trout spots near Lithgow. We were fishing lures and powerbait. The day was fairly slow, but I managed to get two small rainbows on powerbait. One of my mates pulled in a nice rainbow of around 50m which we all thought was pretty amazing.

About 30min later I was working a Rapala Husky Jerk back in when the line went tight and started peeling off my Daiwa Pixy combo. I tightened the drag up as much as the 6Lb line would handle and fought him through about 3 runs over 3 mins. By the time this massive Brown Trout got close enough to shore after the second run, we noticed I'd managed hook him right in the anal fin! It looked like it was just hanging on too, which made the fight all the more nerve-wrecking.

But, after a good 3-4 mins, he was in the net. My first ever Brown Trout measured in at 68cm and 4.5kg.
    A bloody hard PB to beat!

The best part is that my mate videoed the whole thing! Have a look:
    [/url][url]

Unfortunately for my mate that was kind enough to show us his spot, he got nothing all day!

Sorry, video didn't attach itself... I'll try again:

we dropped crab pots in the brisbane river overnight last year when we check them the next day we find 4 keepers and a 65cm threadfin salmon in one of those rectangle nets not bad to eat

Quote Originally Posted by m3rush View Post
    Very amusing thread.
    Toward the end of last winter a mate of mine took a few of us out to one of his regular trout spots near Lithgow. We were fishing lures and powerbait. The day was fairly slow, but I managed to get two small rainbows on powerbait. One of my mates pulled in a nice rainbow of around 50m which we all thought was pretty amazing.

About 30min later I was working a Rapala Husky Jerk back in when the line went tight and started peeling off my Daiwa Pixy combo. I tightened the drag up as much as the 6Lb line would handle and fought him through about 3 runs over 3 mins. By the time this massive Brown Trout got close enough to shore after the second run, we noticed I'd managed hook him right in the anal fin! It looked like it was just hanging on too, which made the fight all the more nerve-wrecking.

But, after a good 3-4 mins, he was in the net. My first ever Brown Trout measured in at 68cm and 4.5kg.
    A bloody hard PB to beat!

The best part is that my mate videoed the whole thing! Have a look:
    [/url][url]

Unfortunately for my mate that was kind enough to show us his spot, he got nothing all day!
    Thats a nice fish! .... Were you fishing lake Lyle ??
    Nagg